blue5.slow

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base, M/T
The stock LSD is barely an LSD, clutch-pack that one track-day can burn right up. The Torsen for the s550 mustangs has been revised and can take a metric ton of punishment ( track day ) and come back for more.
I still don't understand. I don't know a lot about transmissions and differentials. Let's say I track my car every day for a week. What difference would having the torsen make vs the base diff. Is it the durability?
Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
the clutch packs in the base differential will burn up. The torsen is significantly more durable, and does what it's supposed to do better than the clutch pack.

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
When you are going into, and coming out of a corner, at corner-speeds. The inside wheel should be spinning less than the outside wheel. Your differential controls this. The stock differential does plain 'ol tooling around town driving fine. Most people are not cornering at corner-speeds. As soon as you get on a road course, you need some extra torque sent to that outside wheel to make up for the inside wheel not doing as much work.

OP
OP
blue5.slow

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
When you are going into, and coming out of a corner, at corner-speeds. The inside wheel should be spinning less than the outside wheel. Your differential controls this. The stock differential does plain 'ol tooling around town driving fine. Most people are not cornering at corner-speeds. As soon as you get on a road course, you need some extra torque sent to that outside wheel to make up for the inside wheel not doing as much work.
So basically with the torsen, it's easier to take corners without worrying about the rear end breaking loose?

OP
OP
blue5.slow

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
If you just want to know your gear ratio Look on the tire label that shows when door is open. Axle ratio will have a 2 letter code

yy is 3.15,
gg is 3.31.
dd is 3.55
bb is 3.73
Mine is gg- so 3.31. Thank you!!!!

Sponsored

VisceralSyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
So basically with the torsen, it's easier to take corners without worrying about the rear end breaking loose?
If you push it too far it will still break loose. With the torsens, finding that limit is the challenge. With good track tires, you may be able to push harder vs the bases clutch pack burning out, turning into an open diff at some point.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
That's 100% 300A car.
What is better about the torsen than the base diff?
IMO, nothing. At least with the base diff you can rebuild it (it uses carbon fiber clutch packs). With the Torsen, not a chance. Both are equally as strong.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
What wheels are those? I couldn’t make out the center cap.

OP
OP
blue5.slow

blue5.slow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)

MarcasswellbMD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Performance Pack +Tuned Juke
Last year when I bought my used manual 2017 Mustang GT, it was listed as a premium. It has the base rear diffuser and base stereo, however it has the premium leather seats, the 6 piston Brembo front brakes, and the strut tower brace. I'm confused on whether this is just a base GT with performance pack upgrades, or if it is a performance pack with different options (possibly ordered from ford in 2016 and the previous owner selected different options when building it?). I am asking this because I need to know my gear ratio and I have no idea if my car is a premium, base, or performance pack.
I bought a 17 garage kept 1 owner manual 5 months ago with 8,909 miles on her and have been wondering if all the manuals are PP1 with 373's?? Because that's what I have, small screen, But it seems to have the dual strut tower Cowl/tower braces, bigger rear sway bar, staggered wheels, Bembo's upfront.. It's all Weather Teched out too trunk and front floors.. But then I have seen other manuals with 255's all the way around with Recaro seats and a little screen to so Not sure.. Anyway ever since the 24's came out prices have dropped depending on location and miles.. I feel like I got so lucky with mine. It's optioned just how I would have done it. Anyway I always wondered if all manuals were at least PP1.. It seems like they can be optioned out however.. plus PPL parts on their cars that don't belong.. Anyway what gearing did you have?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I bought a 17 garage kept 1 owner manual 5 months ago with 8,909 miles on her and have been wondering if all the manuals are PP1 with 373's?? Because that's what I have, small screen, But it seems to have the dual strut tower Cowl/tower braces, bigger rear sway bar, staggered wheels, Bembo's upfront.. It's all Weather Teched out too trunk and front floors.. But then I have seen other manuals with 255's all the way around with Recaro seats and a little screen to so Not sure.. Anyway ever since the 24's came out prices have dropped depending on location and miles.. I feel like I got so lucky with mine. It's optioned just how I would have done it. Anyway I always wondered if all manuals were at least PP1.. It seems like they can be optioned out however.. plus PPL parts on their cars that don't belong.. Anyway what gearing did you have?
No, there's thousands of manuals without Performance Pack.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Base GT MT82 PP1 Recaro's might very well be the Gen 2 golden ticket car.