Switching from Base GT Belly Pan to GT Performance Pack Belly Pan

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I am looking to replace the belly pan on my 2016 GT Premium Convertible due to damage done to it by a mechanic. Rather than replacing it with the same base GT belly pan, I have been advised to replace it with the PP belly pan as it has a shape that will direct air onto the deflectors that are attached to my front control arm, the deflectors, in turn, meant to direct air onto the brakes. I know that there are other solutions for directing air onto the deflectors, such as installing ducts, but I would prefer going with the PP belly pan solution,

This is not an essential upgrade, but I do like the idea of it, particularly since I sometimes drive hard for protracted periods of time, and that I have ideas of upgrading the brakes. If it is not doable I will replace with the base GT belly pan.

Some questions:
  • Is the belly pan part number JR3Z17626B, FR3Z-17626-D or something different?
  • Is it true that the PP belly pan will require that I also change the chin splitter, and is that part number FR3Z-17D957-BA or something different?
  • What other parts would I need?
  • Do I need to drill any holes in the chassis, or are there any tricks to this install?
Thanks!
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to upgrade, do the GT PP belly pan and the CS splitter.

Looks great and very functional.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
yes the chin has to be changed out. Or just use dryer vents as scoops.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

Late follow-up here for question: which brand CS splitter did you go with?

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Factory Ford

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Factory Ford
I just noticed that you are from Brooklyn...where do you go to open up that PP 'Stang

I lived in Manhattan for about 10 years and then Fort Greene Brooklyn for about 4 years (girlfriend at time would not leave Brooklyn). Was in Ridgewood, NJ up until a few years ago when I bailed out to Florida. ....I hope you have a radar detector

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tough to really open it up, but the Southern state in Nassau county is pretty safe, and Floyd Bennet Field is good for 0-60 practice.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

The CS splitter is a direct swap on a '15-'17 PP car?

A buddy has a '16 CS, and I've always had splitter envy, and didn't know if it fit. If you happen to have the part number, I'm all ears.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The CS splitter is a direct swap on a '15-'17 PP car?

A buddy has a '16 CS, and I've always had splitter envy, and didn't know if it fit. If you happen to have the part number, I'm all ears.
I came up with GR3Z-17626-AA

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
However, it states that it's not compatible with the PP belly pan....
According to the part listing on Levittown Ford's site, putting this on a PP car does require replacing the belly pan to the one that is used on the base GT. I have a base GT and I have been considering going to the PP belly pan as the base GT pan has notches that feed air to brake cooling deflectors on the lower control arm (I have this deflector), and the overall flatter shape of that belly pan makes for less drag and faster air flow under the car.

I am still trying to get my head around this as it all seems to run counter to my understanding of how an airplane wing works, where the wing's curved upper side causes the air flow there to travel faster to meet up with air flowing below the flat underside, this creating lower pressure on the top of the wing, which sucks the wing upward (lift). So, with arguments to streamline the underside of the car and the top of the car being a much longer travel for the air, it would seem to be a dynamic similar to an airplane wing, which would pull the car up off the road, rather than the pushing it down. I am obviously missing something. Perhaps the rear diffusers make the difference?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yeah, I'm not giving up my PP belly pan....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a base GT and I have been considering going to the PP belly pan as the base GT PP1 pan has notches that feed air to brake cooling deflectors on the lower control arm
fixed.
The 'notch' is really just a reverse ski-jump ramp. It works because air 'sticks' to the surface as it curves upward from under the car and otherwise un-shrouds the 'scoops' aka deflectors on the lateral arms. You can accomplish the same thing with a dryer vent sitting below the GT/EB belly pan, or taking a utility knife and cutting 2 long cuts and using something like a standoff to bend it upward. or just cut the flap out entirely and use some corrugated plastic signage board to make an air-channel.
Sponsored