Sponsored

2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 VS. 2017 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R: THE FOREVER WAR

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Crazy how much performance can be had for relatively little money after just a few years eh? You know what's the scary part? Imagine in another 5 years or so when the GT500's and Z06's and ZL1's and hellcats, all these 650+hp monsters dip even lower in price... can you imagine younger drivers picking these things up once they dip into the low 30K range or hell even the high 20K range maybe!?

We think it's bad with mustangs running over crowds now... "you ain't seen nothin yet" :lol: :D
I don't see 13/14 GT500's going in the $30's anytime soon. I haven't really looked as much since I bought a '15 GT and had it supercharged. Last one I did look at had 3K miles and 3 past owners.......seems the idea of owning one might be more exciting than the reality. As I have found with my s'charged GT, the performance potential is not very user-friendly on the street.....try to have any fun and you're at "go to jail" speed in a heartbeat. That being said, I would pass on a ZL1 at half the price.......they can keep them.
There's a certain point at which specialty cars are always worth at least X. 13-14 gt500s....I can't imagine selling low 30s for a long time.
I could see maybe a moderate to high mileage example going for $30K range on a private sale. But I think around $40K is where they'll stop at. But then again, I mean, look at the 07-09 GT500s...$20K-$30K range. And I have seen some moderate mileage 2012 ZL1s and CTS-Vs in the mid $30Ks. 2 year old Hellcats with low miles are already in the low $50K range. But by the time these drop dramatically the standard GTs and SS and RT/SRT8s will be outperforming them anyway, lol!! Maybe, maybe not.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yes performance cars drop in value in the aftermarket. A lot of that is because; there us no telling how the previous owners treated the car.

Track days
Tunes
Cutting parts off
Adding parts on
Burn outs
Hitting rev limits
Hard launches
Always driving it hard no matter where you are

So yes; when you find that $30k-$40K GT500, hellcat, or Zl1 just remember how much more you might have to pay in maintenance and upkeep.

Buying new witg a warranty might be a bad resell investment, but its a great peace of mind investment.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
LMMFAO
Me too. I wouldn't mind a super clean, 100% stock, 1 owner, and low mileage 2013/2014 GT500. Awesome cars. One of my favorites of all time. :thumbsup: :cheers:
I would suggest that you should not have any problem finding a super clean, 100% stock, 1 owner and low mileage 2013/2014 GT500 as it is just a matter keeping your eyes open and being patient.

I am not suggesting that you may get a super deal on price but keep in mind that there were 10,615 GT500's built for those two model years with the majority of those cars staying in America therefore you have a lot of cars to choose from so suggest that you take your time and a good deal will come you way in due course.

Good luck!

:ford:

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I would suggest that you should not have any problem finding a super clean, 100% stock, 1 owner and low mileage 2013/2014 GT500 as it is just a matter keeping your eyes open and being patient.

I am not suggesting that you may get a super deal on price but keep in mind that there were 10,615 GT500's built for those two model years with the majority of those cars staying in America therefore you have a lot of cars to choose from so suggest that you take your time and a good deal will come you way in due course.

Good luck!

:ford:
Thanks bro! :thumbsup:
I have 3 of them saved. I'm not making any moves till I see what the new GT500 brings first. I'm not worried about price as long as it's not out of this world. I'll pay good money for a well kept, super clean, low mileage, and 1 owner car. (Obviously, less is better. :headbonk:) lol

Last edited:

catdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White/Blue Stripes
The gods have made their choice....

Look at the rays of light shining down on the GT350!

LOL (but I love the freaking ZL1)....
IMG_2381.jpg

Sponsored

Supercup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Z/28 - Shelby FP350s (future)

Great Photo - The God's have spoken - end of debate - for now :cheers:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

Great pic.

/Thread

I do think the ZL1 is worthy of major respect even if it's hard for me to lose my hatred of gm as a corporation.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
The latest C&D did a 40K mile review of the SS. They loved it from a performance perspective. It was also very reliable, much more so than the previous Corvette they also reviewed long term. They were not happy with the every day drivability due to the poor visibility and lack of storage space and poor HVAC, specifically the location of the air vents being too low. Other than that, it seems like a solid piece of kit. Question: why do they call the supercharged Camaro the ZL1, which is a designation for an engine, the all aluminum 427 cid V8? Just asking?

I've been reading a book my wife got me for fathers day: CAN AM 50Th Anniversary. Some of the teams were using the ZL1 engines back then - they were not too reliable, at least not up through the 1968 season, which is as far as I got so far. Awesome book! Highly recommended.

As far as the ZL1 is concerned, I'd probably be more interested in a NA SS Camaro - but that is just me.

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The latest C&D did a 40K mile review of the SS. They loved it from a performance perspective. It was also very reliable, much more so than the previous Corvette they also reviewed long term. They were not happy with the every day drivability due to the poor visibility and lack of storage space and poor HVAC, specifically the location of the air vents being too low. Other than that, it seems like a solid piece of kit. Question: why do they call the supercharged Camaro the ZL1, which is a designation for an engine, the all aluminum 427 cid V8? Just asking?

I've been reading a book my wife got me for fathers day: CAN AM 50Th Anniversary. Some of the teams were using the ZL1 engines back then - they were not too reliable, at least not up through the 1968 season, which is as far as I got so far. Awesome book! Highly recommended.

As far as the ZL1 is concerned, I'd probably be more interested in a NA SS Camaro - but that is just me.

GM has been quietly working on a new version of a 6.2-Liter LT5 DOHC V8.....possibly for upcoming Corvette. However, they will still be producing the LT1 and LT4 engines.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
GM has been quietly working on a new version of a 6.2-Liter LT5 DOHC V8.....possibly for upcoming Corvette. However, they will still be producing the LT1 and LT4 engines.
Very, very excited to see their DOHC engine. It'll be refreshing to see them finally stepping into the future. Their push-rod engines were a huge turn off. I prefer a sports car without a truck engine in it.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Very, very excited to see their DOHC engine. It'll be refreshing to see them finally stepping into the future. Their push-rod engines were a huge turn off. I prefer a sports car without a truck engine in it.
It won't be the first time they did this. Back in the 90s the ZR1 Vettes had a DOHC engine that made 405 hp and was keeping up with the Viper of that era. Only time will tell what they'll do in the future. But personally, I like variety. And the fact that they're still sticking to pushrod engines is cool. I'm not really a fan of DOHC V8 engines.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Couldn't decide; so you got one of each?:shrug:

I'm sure you are breaking some law somewhere. :paddle:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Question: why do they call the supercharged Camaro the ZL1, which is a designation for an engine, the all aluminum 427 cid V8? Just asking?
Trading on a historically significant 'tag', figuring that after ~40 years just resurrecting the name would be good enough (marketing-wise).

Not just you . . .

And having finally driven one, didn't find the outward visibility nearly as bad as the reviews suggest. Then again, I wasn't expecting that aspect to be 1980's-import-sedan good.

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It won't be the first time they did this. Back in the 90s the ZR1 Vettes had a DOHC engine that made 405 hp and was keeping up with the Viper of that era. Only time will tell what they'll do in the future. But personally, I like variety. And the fact that they're still sticking to pushrod engines is cool. I'm not really a fan of DOHC V8 engines.
There's also the Cadillac Northstar engines that GM made with DOHC engines. I remember hearing at the time that those engines made good power.

Well, and the V6 in the Camaro is a DOHC engine. That's a good engine in my opinion.

I would assume that all the 4 cylinder engines that GM makes are also DOHC, because really DOHC is a superior design for a performance engine.
Sponsored