roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I agree that the V6 has extra height due to the tighter V angle. I would assume the difference is very minor, though. Heck, the 4 cylinder is DOHC and it is vertical with no angle on the cylinders. GM didn't tack a huge hood scoop on the Camaros that were equipped with the 4 cylinder DOHC in order to clear the MASSIVE head.

My point is that the V6 fits in the Camaro and a V8 DOHC is not going to be taller than the V6 DOHC. I assumed Roy didn't know what the actual difference was and that he was just quoting what the Chevy guys always say as their standard argument in pushrod vs. DOHC debates.
My post was about the vette, not Camaro
Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
I would believe he moreso means that an engine that is geared towards low-rpm torque is more apt for truck applications than one that is geared towards higher rpm power.
Well, I can't extract that from his post. The engines in Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers can all be considered "truck" engines from if we applied his comment. Unless he's talking specifically about the Voodoo, and at the end of the day it's still a variant of the 5.0, another "truck" engine. Am I wrong here?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My post was about the vette, not Camaro
Way off topic in a Camaro/Mustang thread. I'm sure a DOHC V8 could easily fit in the 'vette though. Look at exotic car manufacturers like Ferrari. Do they put pushrod engines in their cars because a DOHC engine won't fit? :crazy:

Well, I can't extract that from his post. The engines in Mustangs, Camaros, and Challengers can all be considered "truck" engines from if we applied his comment. Unless he's talking specifically about the Voodoo, and at the end of the day it's still a variant of the 5.0, another "truck" engine. Am I wrong here?
Low RPM high torque and big CI, lazy push rod motors are best suited for station wagons and pickups. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. It's a bonus to get a higher performance engine like the 5.0 in a pickup. That doesn't change the engine into a truck engine. It's a better breathing, better performing engine than the pushrod boat anchors they put in Chevys.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I would say so, yes. In terms of trucks, a high torque at low rpm's is a better engine, period. It is where you want the power considering the weight of the vehicle and its towing capabilities, hence why diesels reign king in the truck world. Its why the the ecoboost Ford's now exist, because the 5.0 just doesn't have the low-end grunt that its competitors have.

In contrast, an engine that has its powerband biased towards higher rpms, is by definition, a poor truck engine. A Voodoo is a great sports car engine, but a terrible truck engine.

I think that is the only way to look at it. As you said, all 3 utilize the same V8's across their trucks and muscle/sports cars, and I'm fairly certain he's more intelligent than to simply try to ignore that or pretend that it isn't true. The only way to designate them as such is the manner in which they produce power, and in which category they are better suited based on that delivery.

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I could be wrong..... I believe that Lotus were only designing the heads for ZR1.
Lotus designed an all new engine..LT-5. Besides bore spacing, there is nothing interchangeable between the LT-5 and the Gen 1 SBC.

Reactions: H6G

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And Camaros, Mustangs, and Challengers share engines with trucks if you haven't noticed.
Key words "I prefer". I also voted with my wallet, theres no truck motor in my driveway besides my work van. Though the Voodoo is loosely based on the Coyote V8, revving over 8,000RPMs puts it in the sports car category. I also dont group challengers in the sports car category either.
Sponsored