Sponsored

2016 GT350 with Technology pack question

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Really people . . .?

I have a tech pack, and I track the beast, so I can speak on this. OP states there is no intent to track the car, so this person is relatively educated on a known tech pack limitation--limp mode under track conditions--and has asked an appropriate question. It is irresponsible, to put it mildly, to suggest that techs and bases will categorically fail on the street. Based on what? Maybe a total of 5 posters on this site claiming street limp mode? A private lawsuit that is nothing more than floating paper at the moment? Hell, before even using that as a basis to adopt the attitude that the base/techs are failures, do you even know who the plaintiffs are and what is the factual basis of their allegations?

Based on this dumping attitude, why not direct the OP away from ALL GT350s because of the report of a cracked block?

OP, the GT350 is a fantastic car. Period. Get a tech (Magneride!) and rock the hell out of it! Use Forscan to turn on the tranny temp gauge (extensive sticky post on this) and see what temps you get. IF you start pushing 250 or higher (280 is limp mode) then, for $1,000.00 or less, install a tranny cooling system. Hell, nothing wrong with trying to negotiate some consideration in the price--that's free market capitalism for you--but don't let these responses sour you on the car. Unbelievable.

You won't find much wisdom in the too many pages of rants. And, before the flame masters light 'em up, yes, I am pissed and disappointed that Ford denied an OE upgrade path for the tranny and diff coolers, but, whatever. I wanted to track my car, so I installed my own cooler more than a year ago. Wishes and wants aside, the car is awesome. Period! And, no, a regular GT with tweaks is not an effective substitute.
Sponsored

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
Really people . . .?

I have a tech pack, and I track the beast, so I can speak on this. OP states there is no intent to track the car, so this person is relatively educated on a known tech pack limitation--limp mode under track conditions--and has asked an appropriate question. It is irresponsible, to put it mildly, to suggest that techs and bases will categorically fail on the street. Based on what? Maybe a total of 5 posters on this site claiming street limp mode? A private lawsuit that is nothing more than floating paper at the moment? Hell, before even using that as a basis to adopt the attitude that the base/techs are failures, do you even know who the plaintiffs are and what is the factual basis of their allegations?

Based on this dumping attitude, why not direct the OP away from ALL GT350s because of the report of a cracked block?

OP, the GT350 is a fantastic car. Period. Get a tech (Magneride!) and rock the hell out of it! Use Forscan to turn on the tranny temp gauge (extensive sticky post on this) and see what temps you get. IF you start pushing 250 or higher (280 is limp mode) then, for $1,000.00 or less, install a tranny cooling system. Hell, nothing wrong with trying to negotiate some consideration in the price--that's free market capitalism for you--but don't let these responses sour you on the car. Unbelievable.

You won't find much wisdom in the too many pages of rants. And, before the flame masters light 'em up, yes, I am pissed and disappointed that Ford denied an OE upgrade path for the tranny and diff coolers, but, whatever. I wanted to track my car, so I installed my own cooler more than a year ago. Wishes and wants aside, the car is awesome. Period! And, no, a regular GT with tweaks is not an effective substitute.
Logic and rationality. Rare virtues when it comes to this topic. :cheers:

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Really people . . .?

As a former Tech Pack owner I would advise the OP to pass unless he's getting an amazing price and cool with adding coolers at a later date with no warranty support. Otherwise picking up a 17 would be the better option.

Sponsored

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Curry chews his mouthpiece like it was a binky. The Warriors will always be known for blowing a 3-1 lead in the finals.
Go Cavs.
And we will be known for beating them this year, we shall see my friend.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Really people . . .?

No need to get overly emotional about it. I love my GT350, but I don't think it's for everyone. I am an engine guy and the FPC Voodoo is amazing in my opinion. I had to have one. But for the average car guy that isn't so into engines, and will only drive it on the street, it's not a good buy. Again my opinion. The dealer will tell you to go screw yourself if it gets hot on the street. That happened to me. There is a path to fix it, but it isn't cheap and you will lose warranty coverage. If you have a problem and talk about it here, expect all the track pack guys to dump on you and call you stupid for buying it.

No I'm really not bitter but I want a potential buyer to know this stuff before buying. That's me being helpful. I like my car enough and I've put it enough time into it that I'm not selfishly focused on resale value and worried that having honest feedback online will cause big problems for me. I'm probably keeping mine for a while. I've had to put way too much extra money into it to be able to easily sell any time soon anyway .

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Who's getting emotional? Logically, I think the tar and feathering of the 2015-2016 tech and base is more than a bit emotional, particularly from the hordes of folks who have not had frustrating personal experiences with their cars. But, I can't argue that for some officially "undisclosed" reason, Ford made the full cooling suite standard for 2017 and beyond.

Why isn't the car a "good buy" for the street? Too much power? Does your transmission overheat frequently on the street? These are serious questions.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I would not buy a 16 Tech Pack car knowing what I know now for use in AZ. There are already used 17's that cost only slightly more depending on mileage. All 17's have the same coolers as the 16 track pack cars. You also get crappy sill plates on the 17 (swap from a 16) but Android Auto/Apple Car play on the 17's.

OP
OP
robbo1011

robbo1011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red GT
thanks for all the responses. Didn't work out on either of the two I was looking at. Cant believe both the dealers I contacted near me still wanted over MSRP on 2016 models. After having zero luck finding a 2017 at msrp (best I was able to do within 250 miles was 2500 over), I thought a 2016 might save me some bucks (heck I was even hoping for 1k under). Both dealers wouldn't come any where close to MSRP on the 2016's

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
thanks for all the responses. Didn't work out on either of the two I was looking at. Cant believe both the dealers I contacted near me still wanted over MSRP on 2016 models. After having zero luck finding a 2017 at msrp (best I was able to do within 250 miles was 2500 over), I thought a 2016 might save me some bucks (heck I was even hoping for 1k under). Both dealers wouldn't come any where close to MSRP on the 2016's

Wow, that's insane.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You also get crappy sill plates on the 17 (swap from a 16) but Android Auto/Apple Car play on the 17's.
Just as an FYI, Sync 3.2.2. now available for the '16s. Software free from Ford, updated USB port (about $64) needed for Apple Car play and is the easiest swap. Updated port not needed if you have Android.
Don't know about the sill plates- I much prefer the old style :cheers:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who's getting emotional? Logically, I think the tar and feathering of the 2015-2016 tech and base is more than a bit emotional, particularly from the hordes of folks who have not had frustrating personal experiences with their cars. But, I can't argue that for some officially "undisclosed" reason, Ford made the full cooling suite standard for 2017 and beyond.

Why isn't the car a "good buy" for the street? Too much power? Does your transmission overheat frequently on the street? These are serious questions.
I don't want to be overly adversarial here, but just because you use the word logically in a sentence doesn't mean the rest of your sentence is correct. I would not characterize my advice to avoid buying a base or tech car unless you get a low price on it as "tar and feathering". I'm just being honest about the car. You disagree - I get it. No need to insult me over it.

The car is in the power band in first gear on the street, and maybe a little of second gear, so no - I absolutely don't think it has too much power for the street. Well to be more precise, it has the power, but it isn't set up to use that power on the street. If Ford had geared the tech and base cars so that first gear topped out at 35 instead of 55 and logically arranged the rest of the gears with similarly close ratios, the car could be absolutely crazy on the street. But with a base or tech pack car, what you have is a car completely set up for great track performance that can't run on the track. It's really not that much faster than a base GT on the street. If you put good tires and gears in a base GT, or even just a good driver - look out!

No, my transmission only overheated once on the street. I know what to do and what not to do to avoid repeating that. I live in a cool climate as well. And now I've paid the money to replace my transmission. I'm sure I won't have any trouble with the track pack transmission getting hot. I have no money left to go to the track this year, but my transmission can handle the track now. Rear differential still can't, but my transmission is just great. :cool:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
You should be looking at a private seller if you want to save some cash unless of course u are trading in a high dollar car (tax savings)
Sponsored