2016 GT premium or 2023 GT base

SonicBlur

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Personally, I'd recommend the 16 Premium because its so much nicer, especially if you have an extended commute. The 23 is a base and if you're not going for the 10r80 auto then there's not an astronomical difference. The base 23 is obviously newer so take that into consideration.

Drive both and see which one fits better.
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Personally, I'd recommend the 16 Premium because its so much nicer, especially if you have an extended commute. The 23 is a base and if you're not going for the 10r80 auto then there's not an astronomical difference. The base 23 is obviously newer so take that into consideration.

Drive both and see which one fits better.
Having had a 16 GT Premium I will say it was a great car. Just make sure the AC evaporator is okay.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Having had a 16 GT Premium I will say it was a great car. Just make sure the AC evaporator is okay.
Spoiler: It's not. Just replace it if it hasn't been. If there's service records of them recharging the system year after year, be prepared to replace the compressor too.

6spd5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 5.0
im in a similar but different dilemma... trade in my 2017 6spd manual with 45k miles and 8k owed on the loan.

get a 2023 6spd manual with 15 miles. Not 15k just 15 lol. 90% of my mods can be taken off and used on new car.. would be in a new loan and longer terms obvious.. but is 15 miles on the odometer and 20 extra HP worth the commitment. Especially knowing I can throw on wheels and tires, headers, short throw, suspension parts, etc right away...

on my 2017 so far is
project 6gr wheels
2018 intake mani (I know this won't move over)
tune (or this)
oil catch can
corsa sport exhaut (or this)
some cosmetic stuff.

purchased but not yet put on
barton short throw
texas speed headers
Steeda shock/struts
Steeda springs

choices man....

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Get the new base. A lot of the premium upgrades can be added on your own if you decide you want them. 2016 was a long time ago.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
im in a similar but different dilemma... trade in my 2017 6spd manual with 45k miles and 8k owed on the loan.
I sure wouldn't make that move. The power difference barely matters. Pay off your car and enjoy some savings for a while until a Mustang comes along that is a noticeable improvement.

That's what I am doing. I paid off my '20 earlier this year and I've put some money and effort into it to get it right where I really like it. Getting a brand new one would be a downgrade in some respects. And also not much of an improvement in my smiles per gallon ratio.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I would highly advise staying away from the new base model if you're dead set on a manual. The gearing is horrible and makes the car feel like a boat anchor. Only go new if you're willing to get the auto. I tried like hell to like my 21 6spd , but the gearing was too much for me to live with.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Wether it was your intent or not your first post did sound biased against the new version.
Despite that my recommendation is a new/left over 22 or 23 speced to make it comfortable.
It makes no sense to me to give up a warranty and 20-25% of expected life span for a vehicle that's intended to be a daily and kept long term.
If money is a concern then a year or two old used one with low mileage and remaining warranty.
And don't be nieve, the 15-17s had some quite expensive issues of their own.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd get the new one, but I don't mind the base, I don't need the fancy shit myself, but I know other people like different stuff... but I would rather sacrifice a few comfort items and get a new one vs a used one. I drive mine 40 minutes to and from for work.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Drive both. The 18+ make a little more power but the transmission gearing changed. A lot of people prefer the 15-17 with a little less power but better transmission gearing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

row-n-go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 6.2
I would highly advise staying away from the new base model if you're dead set on a manual. The gearing is horrible and makes the car feel like a boat anchor. Only go new if you're willing to get the auto. I tried like hell to like my 21 6spd , but the gearing was too much for me to live with.
This is the kind of feedback I was looking for. manual is a must. I have no issue with a rear gear swap on a new car.

OP
OP

row-n-go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 6.2
Wether it was your intent or not your first post did sound biased against the new version.
Despite that my recommendation is a new/left over 22 or 23 speced to make it comfortable.
It makes no sense to me to give up a warranty and 20-25% of expected life span for a vehicle that's intended to be a daily and kept long term.
If money is a concern then a year or two old used one with low mileage and remaining warranty.
And don't be nieve, the 15-17s had some quite expensive issues of their own.
I guess my inquiry didn't come out quite right over the internet. I have read about the AC issues on the gen 2 cars. I was looking strictly for input on the engine/trans differences between the two. Both generations may be coyote engines but there are some serious differences between the two.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
I’ve had my 19 gt since it was brand new. I have had 0 problems with it. None of the issues that you’ve mentioned. But with the amount of miles you drive I don’t think the standard warranty will be much help. You’ll surpass the mileage quick. I also have a blower which adds a lot of stress on the engine and still 0 problems. It really is a great car, I would just try to get a better warranty so if you have any issues you’ll be covered for awhile. But I’m surprised you’re not just waiting until the s650 is released. I think it looks pretty cool but I know alot of ppl don’t like it, but that’s just their opinion so it’s really up to you.

Marketplaza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT shadow black and 18 dodge caravan
I guess my inquiry didn't come out quite right over the internet. I have read about the AC issues on the gen 2 cars. I was looking strictly for input on the engine/trans differences between the two. Both generations may be coyote engines but there are some serious differences between the two.
Yes there is, like the gen 3 has both port and direct injection. The gen 2 only has one of them. It’s better as 18 and up also has a better manifold. All the 11-17 swap for the new one. But all around the gen 3 is a better engine.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I’ve had my 19 gt since it was brand new. I have had 0 problems with it. None of the issues that you’ve mentioned. But with the amount of miles you drive I don’t think the standard warranty will be much help. You’ll surpass the mileage quick. I also have a blower which adds a lot of stress on the engine and still 0 problems. It really is a great car, I would just try to get a better warranty so if you have any issues you’ll be covered for awhile. But I’m surprised you’re not just waiting until the s650 is released. I think it looks pretty cool but I know alot of ppl don’t like it, but that’s just their opinion so it’s really up to you.
Same here my 2019 has been a great car too.
Sponsored