2015 Z28

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
I appreciate that. What has been said pretty much confirms what I had thought. I was looking to see if anyone had a strong reason to avoid the Z/28. My motivation is purely an illogical one to have both the gm and ford versions of what I think will be the last versions of the unique naturally aspirated manual pony cars.

He's an older guy. He pretty much decided the cars were relatively close in raw performance capability, but that the GT350 was able to do it with much less suspension drama. He's always complained that his Z28 beat him up on the street. (They weren't available with anything like Magneride) He pulled the trigger on a trailer setup this year so he could get to track events without a Chiropractor visit.

As for reliability, it's no different than a GT350, in that there are always common problems to be solved. In his case, it was punting the stock carbon ceramic brakes for iron discs, and upgrading the crank pulley to one that won't delaminate.

I don't think he'd be able to come up with a strong reason to avoid one, other than maybe possible parts availability problems. They didn't make very many.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I shared a video earlier where the GT350R was not compared to the Z28 but the ZL1. ZL1 was barely quicker than the GT350R on track (Big Willow - Willow Springs) because the 350R is obviously more agile. Both were driven by Randy Pobst as well too.
1641251978877.png
Yeah I noticed it was the wrong video. They did a really good video of the Z28 vs. GT350.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/...gt350r-vs-2015-chevrolet-camaro-z28/19309/904

They ran at Chuckwalla raceway and the GT350R time was 1:57.87. The Z/28 was 1:59.03.

They said that the GT350R was sprung a LOT softer than the Z/28, but that the body control was just as good.

And that particular Z/28 made more power than it was rated to make. It might have had a hotter than stock cam or it might be under-rated from the factory. They dynoed at ambient of 105 F and got 471 HP from the Z and 469 from the GT350. The GT350 is rated to have about 20 HP more than the Z, but in this case it didn't make that much more. But it was still faster around the track.

The CCBs would be the main reason to avoid a Z/28, unless you don't mind spending big money for replacements.

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
What was his reason for getting rid of the carbon ceramic brakes? I would have thought that was a big plus. Iā€˜ve never had a car with them but have understood they take quite a bit to get up to temperature. Itā€™s funny about ride quality with these types of cars. Everything Iā€™ve ever owned has been either lifted or lowered so a stiffer suspension is just normal to me. Fuess I donā€™t know any better.

He's an older guy. He pretty much decided the cars were relatively close in raw performance capability, but that the GT350 was able to do it with much less suspension drama. He's always complained that his Z28 beat him up on the street. (They weren't available with anything like Magneride) He pulled the trigger on a trailer setup this year so he could get to track events without a Chiropractor visit.

As for reliability, it's no different than a GT350, in that there are always common problems to be solved. In his case, it was punting the stock carbon ceramic brakes for iron discs, and upgrading the crank pulley to one that won't delaminate.

I don't think he'd be able to come up with a strong reason to avoid one, other than maybe possible parts availability problems. They didn't make very many.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
People don't always use CCBs for the same reason people don't use the carbon fiber GT350R wheels. They are expensive. And the CC brakes have the disadvantage of being a wear item.

But I agree, the CCBs should be used as I'm sure they improve the Z a lot versus iron brakes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I knew there a wear item, all brake parts are for the most part. What doesnā€™t make sense to me is to remove one of the key features that make the car what it is. I know there are owners out there but I havenā€™t seen anyone post they donā€™t use the carbon fiber wheels on the track. The street yes. I guess the argument could be made to remove the cc brakes for street use. It is what it is, to each there own.

People don't always use CCBs for the same reason people don't use the carbon fiber GT350R wheels. They are expensive. And the CC brakes have the disadvantage of being a wear item.

But I agree, the CCBs should be used as I'm sure they improve the Z a lot versus iron brakes.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rebmw.com
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Raptor, 2019 GT350R
In 2021, I actually owned both a 2015 Z28 (as an original owner) and 2019 GT350R. I wound up selling the Z28 a few months ago.

The first thing thatā€™s fresh in my mind is that the Z28 has a lot more low end grunt from its extra 1.8L of displacement. The midrange power is also better as the GT350 feels flat through 3500-5000rpm. Of course, making power at 8000rpm is nice on the GT350 whereas the party ends at 7000rpm on the LS7. Both are so much fun in different ways.

I used to not care about the interior of the Z28, until owning a Raptor. Then getting a GT350R made me realized the rental car-like interior of the Chevy. Chevy boasted about deleting this and removing that to save weightā€¦meanwhile the GT350R didnā€™t have to do much of that to be lighter.

Iā€™m glad I got to own a Z28 and a GT350 R. Both represent each Company differently when trying to make a trackcar from a given budget. Sure, build your own version in the aftermarket but watching the OEMs do it is fun. Let them set money on fire trying to out do one another.

FC294D77-4F81-4807-9304-DF33CD074E3A.jpeg

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I owned and tracked a 2015 Z/28 for two years. As with my GT350 it was purchased with the sole reason to track. I would like another one. To me -- perfect car to complement the GT350. I found the Z/28 much more reliable in every way than then my GT350. If I had to choose one over the other it would still be the GT350 as the VooDoo is an event EVERY time out and it's also the much better looking car. However, the Z/28 was also a very "rowdy" car -- grunt is the word. I loved it in every way.

1. The dampers (Multimatic) were the best I've ever experienced on track. Nothing would upset them, bumps, curbs, etc. (If anyone is unaware of Multimatic one should look them up)
  2. Brakes: Carbon Ceramics were amazing, but NOT for real track duty. I went through in two weekends and replacement was about 5k. They would last the lifetime on a street only car. I converted to Girodisc. 15.5 inch rotors with large 6-pot Brembo calipers. 15.3 inch rear.
  3. Reliability -- I had ZERO, and I mean ZERO issues with the car. Change oil and diff fluid only. Never had another car with zero issues on track and that includes a number of Porsches.
  4. Drivetrain: Torsen diff as in our GT350s and Tremec gearbox also as in our GT350s. The Tremec TR-6060 in the Z/28 was a heavier, more reliable unit -- both in weight and toughness.
  5. Cooling: The Z/28 has both additional oil, trans and diff cooling. I will say the oil temps I saw were always higher in the Z/28 than the GT350. Pushing 300 degrees in the summer.
Just as with our GT350s, the car belied it's weight. Fantastic turn in and great mechanical grip. There are faster track machines, but hard to find more fun ones other than our GT350s and Porsche GT track stars. Given the raucous and rowdy nature of Z/28 and GT350 they are more fun to drive then some of the other track stars from Germany. That's just me...

I'll be looking to buy another one in the future -- with only 1800 ever made they will do well in holding their value forever and not just with this crazy market.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
What was his reason for getting rid of the carbon ceramic brakes? I would have thought that was a big plus. Iā€˜ve never had a car with them but have understood they take quite a bit to get up to temperature. Itā€™s funny about ride quality with these types of cars. Everything Iā€™ve ever owned has been either lifted or lowered so a stiffer suspension is just normal to me. Fuess I donā€™t know any better.
Cost and reliability.

CCBs don't last long enough to get anywhere close to a return on the investment. They may be 5x the price, but don't last 5x as long. Similar to people who track their GT350R with aluminum wheels. The small weight penalty is worth it to them in the long run where they could replace a whole wheel set for less than 1 carbon wheel.

Then there's the reliability aspect. Accidentally drop a wheel during installation? Did it chip the rotor? Oops, new rotor.

He went to iron Girodisc rotors and never looked back.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The 5th gen Z28 is a really cool car, but maybe you've considered this: a 6th gen SS 1LE is as similarly quick around a track and in a straight line, not to mention 100 lbs lighter and less expensive. Less special, I'll give you that, though. Also, a 6th gen ZL1 eats both of them for breakfast and is fully loaded out of the box, and has a comfortable ride due to magnetic dampers (like the SS 1LE). Not to mention the ZL1 hangs with Hellcats in a straight line...

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I shared a video earlier where the GT350R was not compared to the Z28 but the ZL1. ZL1 was barely quicker than the GT350R on track (Big Willow - Willow Springs) because the 350R is obviously more agile. Both were driven by Randy Pobst as well too.
1641251978877.png
I've seen this before. The ZL1 has a power advantage, but the GT350R has a weight, tire, and aero advantage (large CF wing), not to mention CF wheels and no back seats. The R is probably more agile but the ZL1 handles very well for being ~200 lbs heavier than the R. What's interesting to me is despite the R's tire, wheel, and aero advantage, the ZL1 still is able to outgrip the R in several areas if you look at the actual lap data. That exact ZL1 had gone much quicker in a previous test by Randy, so the track must have been a little slow that day - but this was same day same driver so it is the best comparison of the two we have.

Bottom line, the ZL1 is faster, same day, same professional driver. Both have their advantages when compared to the other and both are great performance cars. The ZL1 is quicker, more powerful, easier to bolt on even more power, and comes fully equipped out of the box, while the R has a unique NA engine and nice CF components.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
I come from the Corvette world before I got into Hellcats and then GT350. One of my buddies just traded in his 15'Z28 for a 19'ZL1. I drove it and my(at the time) 08' Z06. Same motor/transmission in both the Z28&Z06. 7.0l naturally aspirated manual only.

Better handling in the Z28 than I expected and power is quicker LS7 vs FPC/Voodoo, as the engines are just totally different. If you think rear vision is bad in a Mustang or Challenger, it's the worst in a current Camaro. And then the front splitter. I know my guy cracked his twice. $700+ to replace. I don't daily my GT350 and I'm not sure I would a Z28 either, but they are fun to drive, it's just a different route to get there.
2015 Z28 for sale in Reno btw...lol
Screenshot_20220102-113905(1).png
Beautiful Z28, so much nicer looking than the present 6th Gen Camaro. I'd like to have one in my garage.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The Camaro would have to be significantly better for me to drive one. The visibility isn't just worse, it's WAY worse.

I realize a person can get used to anything. I'd compare it to a person who wears full lens view sunglasses and then tries to transition to sunglasses with the bottoms and tops of the lenses opaqued.

For the person who starts off that way, it's much less of an issue. But for someone that's used to a much better field of view, it's irritatingly different.

Like going from a full windshield to a 4" cowl hood different. That's all fine for a specialized drag car, but something you drive often, it contributes to driver effort and fatigue. Wouldn't be something I'd buy and certainly not something I'd want to daily with lots of intense traffic interactions.

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
My interest in the Z28 isnā€™t about whatā€™s faster. For me itā€˜s about the raw experience of the car and what it represents for when it was produced and itā€™s an end of an era. I liked the Zl, its a really nice car. But not an apples to apples. If you want to compare a Zl1 to anything, compare it to a Gt500. Thatā€™s its apples to apples comparison. I would never compare, in a true comparison, a supercharged car to a non. Power can make up for lots of flaws in handling. Iā€™m not knocking the Zl1 at all, its a really cool car. What the appeal was in a 350 to me is you still have to drive the car, just like the Z/28, as opposed to point and mash the pedal. For the 500 guys donā€™t take that as an insult to the car, its not. Iā€™m sure the point makes sense.

I've seen this before. The ZL1 has a power advantage, but the GT350R has a weight, tire, and aero advantage (large CF wing), not to mention CF wheels and no back seats. The R is probably more agile but the ZL1 handles very well for being ~200 lbs heavier than the R. What's interesting to me is despite the R's tire, wheel, and aero advantage, the ZL1 still is able to outgrip the R in several areas if you look at the actual lap data. That exact ZL1 had gone much quicker in a previous test by Randy, so the track must have been a little slow that day - but this was same day same driver so it is the best comparison of the two we have.

Bottom line, the ZL1 is faster, same day, same professional driver. Both have their advantages when compared to the other and both are great performance cars. The ZL1 is quicker, more powerful, easier to bolt on even more power, and comes fully equipped out of the box, while the R has a unique NA engine and nice CF components.

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
My daily is a 20/F550, extra cab, with a 12ā€™ contractor bed. The only view out of the back is from the backup camera I installed. Itā€˜s all relative. Lol.

The Camaro would have to be significantly better for me to drive one. The visibility isn't just worse, it's WAY worse.

I realize a person can get used to anything. I'd compare it to a person who wears full lens view sunglasses and then tries to transition to sunglasses with the bottoms and tops of the lenses opaqued.

For the person who starts off that way, it's much less of an issue. But for someone that's used to a much better field of view, it's irritatingly different.

Like going from a full windshield to a 4" cowl hood different. That's all fine for a specialized drag car, but something you drive often, it contributes to driver effort and fatigue. Wouldn't be something I'd buy and certainly not something I'd want to daily with lots of intense traffic interactions.
Sponsored