2015 Z28

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
This is kind of random. Has anybody on here driven the last gen Z28? I’m curious about the feedback. If anybody can give me some feedback I’d appreciate it. And for those that are going to say this is the Gt350 Forum, I’m aware. People that own Gt350’s have a different perspective on how a car drives then most.
Sponsored

Purerock105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 Raptor
I come from the Corvette world before I got into Hellcats and then GT350. One of my buddies just traded in his 15'Z28 for a 19'ZL1. I drove it and my(at the time) 08' Z06. Same motor/transmission in both the Z28&Z06. 7.0l naturally aspirated manual only.

Better handling in the Z28 than I expected and power is quicker LS7 vs FPC/Voodoo, as the engines are just totally different. If you think rear vision is bad in a Mustang or Challenger, it's the worst in a current Camaro. And then the front splitter. I know my guy cracked his twice. $700+ to replace. I don't daily my GT350 and I'm not sure I would a Z28 either, but they are fun to drive, it's just a different route to get there.
2015 Z28 for sale in Reno btw...lol
Screenshot_20220102-113905(1).png

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I really liked them when they came out. But being more of a Ford guy I went the route of the 350’s. I’ve been tossing around the idea buying one of those as well. I don’t think GM will ever do a Z28 like that again either. After dealing with the splitters on these cars I don’t think that would be an issue. Lol. Any idea what dealer has his old car? I didn’t see a red one when I did a search on Cargurus.

Found it on Autotrader.

I come from the Corvette world before I got into Hellcats and then GT350. One of my buddies just traded in his 15'Z28 for a 19'ZL1. I drove it and my(at the time) 08' Z06. Same motor/transmission in both the Z28&Z06. 7.0l naturally aspirated manual only.

Better handling in the Z28 than I expected and power is quicker LS7 vs FPC/Voodoo, as the engines are just totally different. If you think rear vision is bad in a Mustang or Challenger, it's the worst in a current Camaro. And then the front splitter. I know my guy cracked his twice. $700+ to replace. I don't daily my GT350 and I'm not sure I would a Z28 either, but they are fun to drive, it's just a different route to get there.
2015 Z28 for sale in Reno btw...lol
Screenshot_20220102-113905(1).png

Last edited:

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...I had a '15 2SS Camaro.
It was the BEST handling car that I ever owned. My '17 Mustang GT
was a base, but it had the Camaro beat in power but the Camaro was
the better handler; curves and hanging onto the road.
The Mustang broke loose a time or two, but I managed to save it. I guess
probably better tires would have helped on the Mustang.

This '21 GT PP1 I have now seems like so much better of a car than the '17.
I can't really try it out with street racing since the NCSHP keeps observation
on my race track. (cut down speed limit as well)
I looked @ a '15 Z/28 before I bought the '21 Mustang.
No A/C was a big no no for me, as well as a few other lacking items.

But I'm sure the handling aspect was there.
It's a Camaro; (the Hugger)
IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0119.JPG

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Well, GM may never build a Z28 like that again, but that doesn't mean we can't build our own monsters.

I'm in the process of putting together a pro-touring '73 Z28 using the GM Performance crate motor version of that engine - they converted it to wet sump, added more cam and a few other things, and sold it under the moniker of LS427/570 (displacement/HP).

Here's the first test-fit just the other day........

Test Fit.jpg

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
That’s pretty cool. I’m getting ready to do the same thing with a 69 Mustang I have, but obviously a coyote for power. I am tempted by the Z28 as an apples and oranges with my 350’s.

Well, GM may never build a Z28 like that again, but that doesn't mean we can't build our own monsters.

I'm in the process of putting together a pro-touring '73 Z28 using the GM Performance crate motor version of that engine - they converted it to wet sump, added more cam and a few other things, and sold it under the moniker of LS427/570 (displacement/HP).

Test Fit.jpg

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

Test Fit.jpg
Nice. Curious if you're able to push the engine down and rearward since it'll be a race car? Help improve weight distribution....

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm going to give you guys a gift and you may not have even cared for it but it's the best way to start 2022.
https://web.archive.org/web/20170701043957/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMNifBdm_o4

NOTE: You cannot find this video available on YouTube anymore. Archives FTW.

Start it up, it's going to take a minute to buffer, fast forward a few times to help it, and then start from the beginning. Just had the pleasure to enjoy all 20 minutes of it. This video was the leading factor in my car purchase and I'm still shocked back in 2018 that I had no idea what the 350 was at that time.

GoBlueGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/ Tech pack, 2022 F150 Tremor
If you've never experienced the LS7 it's worth a test drive for that alone.

Same as Purerock above I also came from Vettes before my GT350 and had an '08 Z06. It's a phenomenal engine, a different way of getting there sure, but man does it get there. I've driven that gen Z28 and the only thing that took some getting used to was the clutch take-up point was much closer to the floor than any other GM car I've had (maybe just the one I drove) and it just had an overall different feel. Great shifter, fantastic handling/steering, and 305 square setup stock if I recall correctly. Cool car that still looks fantastic IMO.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I run with a couple at COTA. Haven't been able to swindle (I mean "talk") anyone into letting me drive one, yet. From what the owners have told, they really seem to enjoy them for heavy track duty. They're reliable, raw, and predictable.

However, they're noticeably outclassed by a GT350 on Cup2s or an R. Both in power and handling.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Nice. Curious if you're able to push the engine down and rearward since it'll be a race car? Help improve weight distribution....
I used adjustable mounts, so the engine is back as far as it can go without having interference issues with the firewall and various things bolted to that, such has the wiper motor, brake booster, etc. I did not modify the mounts; rather using the OEM clamshells. As such, it sits at about the same height as the outgoing cast iron small block it replaces. Overall, the fit is great and the weight is a fair bit less than the old engine, so I expect some benefits in overall weight loss and distribution.

Not building it as a race car, but rather a grand-tourer of sorts. Plan is to use it for road rallying and trips. Four-link suspension, Recaro seats, A/C, and the obligatory stereo should all combine to make it a modern-ish car in a 50 year old body.

ZX3ST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, Kona Blue, J3116
This is kind of random. Has anybody on here driven the last gen Z28? I’m curious about the feedback. If anybody can give me some feedback I’d appreciate it. And for those that are going to say this is the Gt350 Forum, I’m aware. People that own Gt350’s have a different perspective on how a car drives then most.
I haven't driven one.

BUT

I have a track buddy who owns one, and I did let him drive my 350 once. It was only on the street, but his comments from a 15min spirited drive was that he'd take the Ford if he were doing things over again. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

OP
OP
Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate that. What has been said pretty much confirms what I had thought. I was looking to see if anyone had a strong reason to avoid the Z/28. My motivation is purely an illogical one to have both the gm and ford versions of what I think will be the last versions of the unique naturally aspirated manual pony cars.

I haven't driven one.

BUT

I have a track buddy who owns one, and I did let him drive my 350 once. It was only on the street, but his comments from a 15min spirited drive was that he'd take the Ford if he were doing things over again. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I shared a video earlier where the GT350R was not compared to the Z28 but the ZL1. ZL1 was barely quicker than the GT350R on track (Big Willow - Willow Springs) because the 350R is obviously more agile. Both were driven by Randy Pobst as well too.
1641251978877.png
Sponsored