Sponsored

2015 Mustang Earns Five-Star Safety Rating [Updated with Crash Test Videos]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Who said I was invincible? All I said is that accidents can be avoided with proper precautions and paying attention.

I don't have kids, so it's probably different for y'all.
Yeah I remember a crash that really freaked me out. Bumper to bumper traffic stop and go and a semi driver must have fallen asleep. He crashed right into the back of a late 80s Taurus sedan. He was probably going 5-10 mph and she was stopped. I saw that he didn't even touch the brakes until after the crash. Young woman with her baby in the back seat. Luckily it looked like all were ok, but that car was CRUSHED.

Nothing she could have done.
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I wonder why the Insurance Institute didn't run the small overlap test on the 2015?
I was told that the I.I. started to run the overlap test because many cars, that passed the full frontal, failed when they didn't get hit full straight on.

Chlocli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1999.5 Audi A4 1.8qtms
Right, no small overlap or rear passenger safety tests in the coupe. The two tests where Ford should have made the most significant progress compared to the 2014 model. Hopefully they will test it later this year.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
The IIHS did the small overlap test for the 2015 convertible. The Mustang passed with a Good rating in all aspects of that test. It also passed with a Good rating for all aspects of the Side impact. I was most interested in the Side impact because I have ordered a soft-top. I suspect that the coupe would also have gotten a Good rating for the small overlap test since both models have essentially the same front end.

NHTSA gave 5 star ratings for all of their tests: full frontal, side impact, rollover tendency, and pole side impact.
The reports I have seen, say that the 2015 is the safest Mustang ever built.

Chlocli

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
1999.5 Audi A4 1.8qtms
The IIHS has not tested small overlap or roof strength. We only know moderate overlap for the coupe/conv and side impact for the convertible.

Like all cars manufactured prior to 2010 the older Mustangs are not very safe.

For those people I have seen post here stating that they do not care about safety because they are good attentive drivers, check out this video about an accident that happened a few miles from my house last week:

http://kxan.com/2015/03/16/man-who-survived-deadly-lakeway-crash-shares-story/

This lady was sitting in a center turn lane when a Mitsubishi hit her 2006-2008 (not sure) Mustang convertible almost head on. Both drivers and one passenger did not make it unfortunately.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Whenever I watch the IIHS video of a 2009 Malibu hitting a 1959 Bel Air I think about how much cars of the past were truly deathtraps compared to today. The Bel Air basically gets shredded to bits while the Malibu is very much intact. It's like night-and-day.

[ame]

Fatpolish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Impact Blue Gt premium auto fully loaded
No. Zero accidents for me. I typically don't put myself in situations that would have me in an accident.
Coming from experience after just having been in an accident.... Sometimes you have no choice. For example. Driving 70mph down a highway and a lady decides to hit her gas instead of brakes and flys her escalade right in front of your direction of travel... It's at that point you are hoping your car has a 5 star crash rating. I used to be just like you... "Oh that won't happen to me I can avoid everything because I'm a badass driver.." Well.... Shit just happens. If it wasn't for my 5 star rating Mazda 3 I would be dead. And if it wasn't for that accident.... I wouldn't have my 2015 gt prem on order... So I guess it's a win win!!

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
The S550 is a very safe car. If I can get the pics to show, friend with a '15 GT got ran off the road by someone, then impacted a light pole and fence. Front of the car is shredded, but passenger compartment is completely intact. He walked away...perforated eardrums, whiplash, and bumps/bruises.
image.jpg

Evil87GN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY EB auto
Accident site pic...
image.jpg

Sponsored

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
Kinda sad to see so many ponies put down in this video, but it's all in the name of R&D and evaluating occupant safety/survivability. :thumbsup:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
S550 Crash Test Videos

I like the fact that the new Mustang has a very high crash test rating. It's probably one of the safest cars on the road in a crash. I don't want to find out first hand, but it's nice to know the car is designed well for safety. :thumbsup: Be safe out there!

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Looks well built for sure.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Fender alignment looks better than what comes out of the factory.
Sponsored