Sponsored

2015 EcoBoost vs 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5

62Telecaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger Edge
Mazda knocked this thing out of the ballpark...in some ways, more so than Ford did with the Mustang. Just amazing engineering to find ways to make it that much lighter.

Keep in mind that there's also a coupe version pegged for the near future; essentially this is a poor man's F-Type kind of deal and something to keep an eye on.

I'm getting a Mustang...but yeah, the new Miata is probably the better car if you're open minded.
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
As far as comparing a Mustang to it, totally different feel and car all together. I don't see the point of comparing.
Because people like me, people who care more about the drive than the numbers, are going to cross-shop the two.

When the time comes I'll be test driving both.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
looks like the first gen z3.

it is going to handle amazing. going to be underpowered, with the option to stay the same. will go around a race track faster than most mustang drivers. that is a driver thing.

beers

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Because people like me, people who care more about the drive than the numbers, are going to cross-shop the two.

When the time comes I'll be test driving both.
With you all the way here. Practicality is not very high up the list for me, fun is at the top - I'm trying to get as close as I can to the feeling I had driving my father's vintage 911 without the expense or maintenance issues - and right now the Toyobaru twins don't cut it (reliability issues, crude horrible-sounding engine with a big torque dip).

I bet the new Miata looks fantastic IRL. If they get the power to 175 HP it will have a power to weight ratio better than Mk7 GTI, Focus ST, the twins.... even better than the new Audi TT coming up.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Well, the MX-5 has been thoroughly updated - projected weight at 2350 with the 2.0L SkyActive, HP not disclosed, goofy smile purged and replaced by a far more muscular design. I dig it and would seriously consider it if 1)I wasn't a HP junkie (in that weight class I want a minimum of 250HP) and 2) needed the rear seats for the occasional time I will have to pick up future kids etc 3) becoming a bit of a safety wonk the older I get (I worry about an SUV's bumper smashing through the side and hitting my face - esp with the number of absent minded drivers playing with their cell phones while driving tall cars).

I also like the Mustang's looks a lot more - but the new MX5 is IMHO quite good looking in photos!!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/01/mazda-miata-mx5-2l-skyactiv/

Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Honestly given the option of EB vs new Miata. I'm picking the Miata. Looks like an awesome little car.

I'm buying the Mustang because I like the new looks, IRS and for the 5.0. If it were a 4.6 or less I wouldn't get it. 5.0 holds a special place for me because I grew up with the old one :) Not hating on the EB as it's an awesome car as well, just not for me. However if this were 5-6 years ago and it were offered, I would have gotten a used EB mustang in place of the GTI I bought.

On an additional side note I also wouldn't be getting the S550 if they kept the SRA. Not because I prefer the 14 over the 15 but because of price and I don't like the 15's looks that much more than the 11-14

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I like the new Miata's looks a lot. I liked the idea of the Miata before the redesign, but I couldn't get passed the silly smiley-face styling of the current car. Looked like a toy.

The new one has a nice muscular front with a bit of Alfa and Jaguar F-type inspiration for the rear end.

Mazda did confirm the 2.0 Skyactiv for the U.S. No HP/TQ figures yet. My guess is they'll massage the engine a bit to make somewhere around what the current car makes or a little above it. I would expect 165-180 HP. But the big reduction in weight will make the car quicker without really needing a massive jump in HP.

I would expect a 0-60 somewhere in the low 6s, but if you can get past that metric, I'm sure it will be a blast in many other performance areas.

It is definitely on my list next year. For me, it's down to Mustang, Miata, WRX. I'm single so I don't really need to worry about back seats.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302

Between those two, I'd go Miata. But fact is the Miata is a consideration for me against the GT or even upcoming GT350. I want the most fun for the buck in a car I can enjoy on trackdays. Ultimate numbers are less important to me than thrills. I love my current Boss, one of the most fun cars I've ever owned. Also in the too 5, a first gen manual Miata with no power steering. Loved that car so much. I'm also looking at a used 911, a DB9 and a Jaguar F type S new 6, or used 8. My list at this pony is very flexible.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
+1 This

As far as comparing a Mustang to it, totally different feel and car all together. I don't see the point of comparing.

I'm cross-shopping them, as are others on this thread. The Mustang is a unique car as it can be what your looking for depending on options, trim levels, motors and finally customization, I believe it gets cross shopped with a wide variety of cars and ironically not that often against cars in its class. Your tend to be either a Mustang or a Camaro guy/girl more often than not. And let's be honest there's not much to cross shop a Camaro too. You either want one or you don't as logic could never really play a part of that cars purchase decision.

mjribeiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sierra HD, 15 Acadia, 21 Aviator, 10 Explorer
I'm looking at replacing my 02 Miata SE - 6sp. The car is so fun to drive and I'm worried I'd be let a little down by a Convertible S550 MT. (Handling/weight) I know it would be more powerful - but I have two cars already that are 400-500hp.

Thoughts from those who actually switched from the Miata to the Mustang?

Sponsored

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
If I didn't want something more comfortable and practical, the new Miata would be on my short list. I had a 2007 Miata and it was a blast.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I'm looking at replacing my 02 Miata SE - 6sp. The car is so fun to drive and I'm worried I'd be let a little down by a Convertible S550 MT. (Handling/weight) I know it would be more powerful - but I have two cars already that are 400-500hp.

Thoughts from those who actually switched from the Miata to the Mustang?
A friend from work has a Miata with the retractrable hard top, and drove a 2014 Mustang V6 Convertible rental on a trip to Hawaii. He's not much of a car guy, but even he thought the Mustang convertible was a pig.

Now, that was a 2014, so not as well sorted as the 2015. Still, there is no way the Mustang will be anywhere close in feel to a Miata.

But there is also no way a Miata can fit a couple kids in the back (or co-workers for lunch, or whatever).

So, it kinda depends on what you really need and whether you want the outright speed and performance of the Mustang or if you want the nimble, lightweight, connectedness of the Miata.

I think some test drives are in order!

-T

mjribeiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Sierra HD, 15 Acadia, 21 Aviator, 10 Explorer
I do have two teenage kids. 94% of my driving week is by myself. 5% I'm picking up one of the kids. The other 1% I take the crew cab (or the chevelle if the weather is good). This is my third car. Wifey has her own...

Problem with the miata is actually my wife. She feels it's too small and therefor unsafe. It would certainly lose the head on battle with an SUV, but safer than The Harley I sold to buy it.

I truly love how engaged the miata makes you. It's loaded for its time, but no nav, no blue tooth, so it's all about the drive.. No distractions. I'm not looking for a stripped down car, but I just don't want to lose that engaged feeling.

Replacement has to be a mt vert. Down to the mustang and a c7. Heart wants the c7, but the mustang is certainly more practical. Get the Eco and it could be a hand me down for junior in a couple years.
I guess I do need some test drives. Need to wait for the mt verts to start showing up.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I do have two teenage kids. 94% of my driving week is by myself. 5% I'm picking up one of the kids. The other 1% I take the crew cab (or the chevelle if the weather is good). This is my third car. Wifey has her own...

Problem with the miata is actually my wife. She feels it's too small and therefor unsafe. It would certainly lose the head on battle with an SUV, but safer than The Harley I sold to buy it.

I truly love how engaged the miata makes you. It's loaded for its time, but no nav, no blue tooth, so it's all about the drive.. No distractions. I'm not looking for a stripped down car, but I just don't want to lose that engaged feeling.

Replacement has to be a mt vert. Down to the mustang and a c7. Heart wants the c7, but the mustang is certainly more practical. Get the Eco and it could be a hand me down for junior in a couple years.
I guess I do need some test drives. Need to wait for the mt verts to start showing up.
I went to the Ron Fellows school to drive the C7 on track for three days. That car is amazing. Totally re-calibrated what I considered to be fast, and when I returned my Z felt very slow for a couple of weeks before I re-acclimated. Tough to go wrong with any of these three cars (Miata, C7, or Mustang), but also tough to choose because they are all so different from eachother.

-T

Slade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT, 03 F150
I have and have autocrossed a 2007 MX5 for the last 4 years. It's an amazing little car. Had a lot of fun with it stock, but like most I've modded it with Koni Sport adjustable shocks, Progress Springs and sways, adjustable end links, FCM bump stops, and Hawk HPS brake pads. I've never messed with the motor with the exception of a K&N filter.

I have had two 67 mustangs (both 289's), a 70 Mach 1 (351C), and a 2005 V6 convertible. I've loved the mustangs as well.

But they are two completely different platforms of fun. The MX5 is all about light weight and complete driver involvement. It also has arguably the best gearbox in production automobiles. The only reason I'm planning to sell the MX5 is the new IRS in the Mustang and I've missed V8's. When I was a kid the stoplight drags were where it was at...too damn dangerous now. However, after 250k miles on motorcycles the twisty back roads and torque are my driving passion now. However, a deer in the mountains of British Columbia "convinced" me that bikes are on hold for a while.

So, it's time for a change...my biggest fear is that I'll really miss the Mazda. I can't afford them both and the new one is gorgeous. The horsepower numbers will make a big difference but the claim is they are going back to their roots and that seems to indicate a small bump in HP if at all. Not to mention...a well optioned MX5 still comes in a few grand less than the Mustang.

If you've never had a MX5, definitely go drive one first. And I can't tell you how many times I've been glad to say, "Sorry, I don't have room for more than one passenger.."
2012-08-03_20-36-42_417.jpg
IMG_20130628_035459_006.jpg
Sponsored