2000 Cobra R still in the wrapper

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
No dealer prep, all the factory wrappings still on the car. I’d hate to peel the protective film off at this point, will probably take paint with it since it’s been on there for 24 years. What a shame, those R’s are a blast to drive by all accounts (never have driven one personally)

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You would’ve think they would’ve at least taken the wrap off. What a waste if paint does come off.

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I suppose they’re proving that it really wasn’t dealer prepped but yeah, I’d be scared to pull that film off now. Even using steam you’d have to be really careful

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
DAMM!!! That thing is worth a ton.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
To me it would be worth a lot less than a good runner/driver with 20,000 - 50,000 miles. If you tried to drive it now, half the gaskets and seals would fail within a few thousand miles.

The engine should probably be disassembled and gone through. There's probably rust inside it. Not to mention the transmission and rear diff. It's all questionable at this point.

What a terrible thing. It's not even beautiful to look at with all that plastic garbage on it.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Pffffft…old wives tale!

peel the plastic off, buff the imperfections out and drive that thing!

the days of straight rubber seals are about gone (much less the true leather ones) and even then swapping a seal or two would be worth WAY more than driving a plain-jane sn95 😎

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I do have personal experience with an extremely low miles car - a beautiful early 70s Malibu - puking transmission fluid everywhere a few hundred miles from home. It was my grandmother's last car. This was in the late 80s or early 90s.

So it definitely can happen. Luckily there was no damage to the car. You just have to decide how much you care if your car breaks down.

If I had something collectible that I cared about I would do a lot of maintenance prior to driving. I definitely wouldn't just spin the starter and hope that the rings didn't hang up on something and that the injectors are all perfect after so many years.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The Cobra R is my favorite of the Cobras. Nothing else quite like it with that unique 5.4L setup. Performance 5.4's were later used in the Lightning and GT, but they were both built quite differently and of course not naturally aspirated.

Best sounding Mustang ever IMO.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The 00R - when those were new, people were paying $75k+, which included Dealer ADM. Fast forward to about 2010-2015, you could not give those 00R’s away for $45k, let alone those trying to get back their $75k+….

Fast forward again to the last 5 years…. Some of these are getting their $75k+ back but merely breaking even - with minor exceptions of documented sales in the $100k-$120k range.

If you were an original owner of an 00R who did pay ADM in excess of $75k+ back then, you’re just BARELY making decent “profit” now. So to put that into perspective, what would have happened to that $75k+ IF a person would have dumped it into the Stock Market? Speculative valuation sure if plunking it into funds, but would be in a better position than looking at a material object for 24 years with very little monetary appreciation.

That wrapper 00R above - probably would top out around $150k, maybe $175k max to the buyer who’s looking for a wrapper 00R that will always remain a wrapper…. For it to be a “million dollar” vehicle, give it another 20-30 years….

If you were one of those original 00R owners who did pay in excess of the $75k as many did, in less than 3 years of its release (because 03 Cobra development was already in place when the 00R was released), Ford then shit all over that “limited 300 00R” collectible aspect and its future value in 2003 when Coletti rolled out the Terminator Cobra - a normal “production” Cobra that essentially slaughtered the 00R in performance right out of the box…. for only a mere sticker price of $34,750 MSRP…

Today (and literally the last 20 years) a 03/04 Cobra has and can still fetch within 10% of its original MSRP AND in todays market some are getting 20%-25% over their original MSRP, which is by far rare for any used vehicle and excellent for owners of 03/04 Cobras. Can’t say that for any 00R during the same time frame.

I’m not “picking on” the 00R’s, just saying that even though wrapper examples exist (and the one pictured is pristine off the factory floor example), there’s other Mustangs or XYZ vehicles that are smarter “investments” if one is stuck on “investing in” vehicles.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Kind of sad in a way - kind of reminds me rich d-bags that display F1 cars in their living rooms.
Sponsored