2.9L whipple surging

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
I have a 2015 Gt with a 2.9L whipple. Since the SC install I have noticed surging when stepping on the throttle.I talked with JBL and they assured me it is normal.Has anyone else had the same issue after their install and if so did you find a fix?

Thanks

Rich
Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Are you on the whipple tune?

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Still waiting on that revision =(

Sponsored

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
well now so am i... ;(

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Does your issue happen when rolling into the throttle a medium loads like half throttle when vac gauge hits zero? Can you describe it?

OP
OP
ETCH

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
its right when im getting into the boost. it feels like the car is about to slow, like a stall, then it takes off...

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
its right when im getting into the boost. it feels like the car is about to slow, like a stall, then it takes off...
Ok that sounds like it's the hesitation some of us are experiencing here. Whipple is currently working on a fix for that in the calibration and they will announce it here when it is completed.

Aeronaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
6th gear, 60 MPH, get into the throttle, hesitation, bucking, bad sounds, then it settles down and goes. Even with the restrictor.

Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
When I first installed the restrictor piece I had great results. Now that it's been on the car for a while, it has just gone back to about the same as it was without the restrictor piece. I have the hesitation and bucking in every gear. I get that weird "dip" in power at transition to boost, like others do. But then mine also continues with the "hiccup / surging / bucking", unless I give it a lot more gas, or much less. It compares closely to the feel of letting a clutch out too fast from a stop. But I am not at a stop lol I am hoping the new cal comes out soon. I'd really like to see if it fixes the issue. I am very very close to just getting Lund tuned at this point, and getting that restrictor piece the hell off of there. That restrictor piece causes a much more harsh transition from vac. to boost. At least for me it does.

caustin69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic GT500/ 2021 F150
I had this issue from initial install which was Feb 15, at that time I consulted Whipple and they mentioned adding a restrictor. I wasn't open to the idea, so after speaking with them a few more times they sent me a different bypass valve and I haven't had an issue since installing. I believe the replacement they sent me had a stiffer spring. The transition from vacuum to boost is now seamless. I understood that kits that were shipped around the time I received replacement valve were being shipped with updated valve. Maybe there is a way to identify the bypass valves to determine if a particular one is more prone to the issue.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I had this issue from initial install which was Feb 15, at that time I consulted Whipple and they mentioned adding a restrictor. I wasn't open to the idea, so after speaking with them a few more times they sent me a different bypass valve and I haven't had an issue since installing. I believe the replacement they sent me had a stiffer spring. The transition from vacuum to boost is now seamless. I understood that kits that were shipped around the time I received replacement valve were being shipped with updated valve. Maybe there is a way to identify the bypass valves to determine if a particular one is more prone to the issue.
You had brought this up a while back and I asked Dustin about getting a new baypass valve like you. Dustin assured me it wasn't a bypass issue we are currently having and that all the kits since you or sometime shortly after have the new bypass.

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
We seem to know a lot things that aren't causing the issue... wish we could find out WTF actually IS the dam cause lol I'd like to offer up my car as the test car. Whipple can ship it to them, keep it as long as they need it, figure it out, and send it back :)

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
We seem to know a lot things that aren't causing the issue... wish we could find out WTF actually IS the dam cause lol I'd like to offer up my car as the test car. Whipple can ship it to them, keep it as long as they need it, figure it out, and send it back :)
When I talked with Whipple tech last month it was explained to me that the they think it's possibly a timing issue or variance in timing set from the factory. They said that some cars have been found to differ in timing as much as 5 degrees and this can screw with the calibration they have set for all vehicles. In other words since some of could have a variance in base timing from what they made the calibration for it could be cuasing this stumble.
Sponsored