1st Mods on 2020 GT500

Cgouzoulis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Three minor updates including dusk photos with the lights on.

Finally got around to adding blue vinyl to the GT500 in the grill.
Trimmed off the digital license plate with a black metal frame.
Replaced the vinyl console storage lid with an Alcantara one (with white stitching) that matches the Alcantara on the top of the console.

View attachment 483402
NZ7_48531900.jpg
NZ7_48491900.jpg
Looks great!

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Three minor updates including dusk photos with the lights on.

Finally got around to adding blue vinyl to the GT500 in the grill.
Trimmed off the digital license plate with a black metal frame.
Replaced the vinyl console storage lid with an Alcantara one (with white stitching) that matches the Alcantara on the top of the console.

View attachment 483402
NZ7_48531900.jpg
NZ7_48491900.jpg
If I could get that in textured CF, would be awesome.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
ACC (American Car Craft) has made parts for the GT500 that are not on their site. Generally speaking not my thing but reserve judgement to you.
acc parts.png
acc price.JPG

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I can respect the effort on their part but all of that is just shit you have to remove to get at what is underneath when you need to clean or service if there is an issue. I suspect the only time it may work for you is at a show to help support all the stuffed animals you want to prop up in the engine bay.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
ACC (American Car Craft) has made parts for the GT500 that are not on their site. Generally speaking not my thing but reserve judgement to you.
acc parts.png
acc price.JPG
Not going to happen with my car.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I like running my car without the rain tray BUT I wash the car a lot (pressure washer) and want to have the tray on when I do. I am not tall (5'9") and it is not the easiest thing for me to reach in up under the hood and unscrew 8 screws to remove that tray.

I set out to find an better way and after searching several manufactures of 1/4 turn fasteners I found one that I liked and would work. I went with a Phillips head type fastener so I could use a long Phillips screwdriver that would be easier than a wing type which would require me to reach up to the cover.

Had to shave off about 1/16" off of one side of the retainer to fit in under the tray and used 3/32" rivets to fasten them. I put a retainer on the fastener so it will be part of the rain tray. No loose screws.

I also added a support pin at the bottom of the vent so the tray would stay up while fastening.

Purchased the fasteners from McMaster-Carr part number 91382A560.

I did this last night so I’ll run with it on for a couple of weeks to see if there are any issues with the fasteners coming loose.

IMG_19711900.jpg
IMG_19721900.jpg
IMG_19691900.jpg
IMG_19741900.jpg
IMG_19731900.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
Another option, Camloc.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
This is a great idea. It’s how it should have come from the factory. All those screws are a pain.

BTW: I took my tray off the day I got it home and have never put it back on.

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
Another option, Camloc.
Hey Earl, I really like the Camloc fasteners but wanted to go with a less expensive route first to see how it will all work out after a few weeks. I wanted black fasteners like Camloc and and the series I would go with is the PT-10 and may change to them in the future.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Hey Earl, I really like the Camloc fasteners but wanted to go with a less expensive route first to see how it will all work out after a few weeks. I wanted black fasteners like Camloc and and the series I would go with is the PT-10 and may change to them in the future.
I figured that if the are good enough for aircraft they would be safe to use on the car.

SEERED

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500-LOUDMOUTH LIME
I can respect the effort on their part but all of that is just shit you have to remove to get at what is underneath when you need to clean or service if there is an issue. I suspect the only time it may work for you is at a show to help support all the stuffed animals you want to prop up in the engine bay.[/QUOTE]

Hey wait, what?
upload_2020-7-4_13-24-32.png

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I like running my car without the rain tray BUT I wash the car a lot (pressure washer) and want to have the tray on when I do. I am not tall (5'9") and it is not the easiest thing for me to reach in up under the hood and unscrew 8 screws to remove that tray.

I set out to find an better way and after searching several manufactures of 1/4 turn fasteners I found one that I liked and would work. I went with a Phillips head type fastener so I could use a long Phillips screwdriver that would be easier than a wing type which would require me to reach up to the cover.

Had to shave off about 1/16" off of one side of the retainer to fit in under the tray and used 3/32" rivets to fasten them. I put a retainer on the fastener so it will be part of the rain tray. No loose screws.

I also added a support pin at the bottom of the vent so the tray would stay up while fastening.

Purchased the fasteners from McMaster-Carr part number 91382A560.

I did this last night so I’ll run with it on for a couple of weeks to see if there are any issues with the fasteners coming loose.
Good idea Mark. I would like to see what the heat vent looks like without the rain tray installed. Also, can I assume the tray hangs lower than it did originally?

I purchased really strong magnets and glued them to the rain tray. I leave it off all the time, but when I get to a car show, and want to display the cobra decal, or when I wash the car, I stick it to heat vent.

My Shelby tank is higher than the original tank so I cant afford to have the rain tray lower, but I don't think I should drive mine with only magnets holding it. Your setup would allow this, if it doesn't hang down too low.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I purchased really strong magnets and glued them to the rain tray. I leave it off all the time, but when I get to a car show, and want to display the cobra decal, or when I wash the car, I stick it to heat vent.
Where is there any metal in the hood vent and rain tray, are the nut inserts metal?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Where is there any metal in the hood vent and rain tray, are the nut inserts metal?
I glued the magnets to the rain tray, and they stick to the nutserts clipped into the heat vent. The same ones the factory screws thread into.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I glued the magnets to the rain tray, and they stick to the nutserts clipped into the heat vent. The same ones the factory screws thread into.
Did you do anything to keep the tray from moving around, like a couple of locating studs?