Mikegotamach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Hi all,

So I am getting my 22 Mach 1 prepped for it's and was hoping to lean on the group foe some advice.

1. Thinking of changing tires as I currently have PS4S and have been reading they are not suitable for the track. The mustang is a weekend driver so I can get a more aggressive tire but I still drive way more on the street then track. Would the Hankook RS4 work for me? Are they OK on street? Have read they are awful in the rain but I rarely have my car out when it's not sunny though I do drive it on nice winter days with lower Temps.

2. Do I need to get ppf done to the front to avoid damage? I keep seeing posts with people using painters tape to avoid rubber damage, is it really necessary? I am fine with the car getting a bit dirty and needing a good wash would just want to try and avoid serious dents/paint issues.

3. Currently have a shoei motorcycle helmet i use for my bikes but have been reading that not all track days allow bike helmets. Are there certain brands know for a step above the others like Shoei and Arai in motorcycles? I typically swear by shoei as my original saved my life in a crash.

4. I won't be pushing my car to the limits since I am new to car track days but do I need to change my oil or brake fluid to be race specific? Is there anything else i should do to worry about to cool the engine/ car?

New to car track days so open to any advice that will help ensure I am prepared.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
1st ever track day?
I assume you'll have an instructor hopefully as well? Don't over think it.

1. Your tires will be fine. PS4S are perfectly capable. Are they fast? No. Does it matter? No. Especially novice and your first day. Having a lower grip tire that's communicative will be better for you anyway. I wouldn't move to anything more aggressive until you know how to control what you have.

2. This is up to you...some rubber can get flung up - you'll see a lot when the track gets hot/on hotter days. You'll need something like Griots Track Spray or Mothers Rubber Remover spray and it'll take it right off.
If you want protection, some people use temporary "track tape"/Track Armor and I've used some roll on paint protection called "road Warrior" - that stuff works really well to keep rubber marks off if you get it off the car right when you get home, otherwise can be a PITA to remove.​

3. In my neck of the woods, I don't know anyone who would let you run with a motorcycle helmet. As long as it's an SA2015+ helmet, you should be good. I use an HJC helmet...it's nice enough. I wouldn't go too expensive for your first outfit.

4. Change oil before track day. It doesn't have to be "race specific"...but if it's made to withstand higher temps, good. Or run thicker spec. If it's been longer than a year for your brake fluid, I'd flush that too. Castrol SRF or Motul RBF 600 are good options. Make sure you have enough brake pad left. Stock pads are fine for what you'll be running.

Make sure your lugs are tightened to spec.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY...remember to learn and have fun. Don't worry about being fast or not. You'll experience things you could never do (sanely) on the street.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Rs4 is money.

Mc helmets are generally illegal. You can get car models for as little as 200. Unlike bike the injury profile in cars is bashing your head repeatedly on the b pillar. But with all the airbags and such that's actually not all that likely.

A fresh oil is a good idea. And fresh brake fluid even more important.

Fast is not important. Learning car dynamics and input controls is what matters. Work on a couple turns at a time. And chillax for the other parts.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Definitely swap the brake fluid for RBF 600 or Castrol SRF. Constant lapping and hard braking will generate a lot of heat in the brakes. Stopping consistently is a performance AND safety issue. So definitely important.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
1. I have PS4S because mine is a daily driver and only occasionally a track car. Also they're fine in the rain out here. I don't change tires to go to the track because going so infrequently, I won't notice a difference.

2. I can't comment as to the benefits of ppf. If you go to the track much, you'll end up with a small chip here or there, but nothing serious unless you go off track. I don't worry about it because, again, I don't go very often. Stuff happens, even on the street.

3. Get a helmet for auto racing. Motorcycle helmets are meant for different casualties. There are lots of good choices. I like Arai because they're so comfortable for my head shape.

4. Keep your regular fluids full and up to date. Then you don't have to worry about changing fluids just for a track day. These cars are built for tracking, and you're not going to be pushing the limits for now. Try it out. If you end up doing it a lot, you can get plenty more advice here.

At many track events, there are professional drivers who give personal advice, often for free. Take all you can get.
(Let one of the instructors drive you in your car around the track. You'll be amazed at what these cars can do in hands better than ours. And you'll be kinda scared too.)

Best of luck.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Fast is not important. Learning car dynamics and input controls is what matters. Work on a couple turns at a time. And chillax for the other parts.
Exactly. Start slow and build speed as you learn the track and the car. It's not a contest of speed.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Rubbing alcohol works well to remove rubber streaks. Mother's rubber remover is good for rims.

If you are OCD about paint, you may wish to protect it. Lots of cars with sticky tires blowing by you and slow cars you come up on fling up all kinds of stuff. And there is always the risk of parts coming off another car and ...well...it's not all high-end clean stuff out on the track. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

But it is a blast.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I'd not mess with anything on a Mach1 for my first trackday, except for cosmetic protection.

You may well be a faster learner than me, but I think I had at least 3-4 trackdays before I upgraded from stock braking fluid and stock braking pads to something better for track, and even at that time, it was mostly a "better sooner than later" thing, as stock was still working well at my level. Same for tires, PS4S is more than good enough. No need to waste money on things before you know you will continue and may be getting to the point where it's needed.

I've eventually PPF-ed much of the front of my car, but before that I used the road warrior roll-on stuff for half a dozen trackdays at least. It works well and 99% of it comes of fairly easily, but there will probably be small residues stuck here and there in crevices for years to come. Most of the trackdirt washes of, and I would not bother with road warrior gunk or PPF if it was that only, but if you're on the tail of a car in front, and you hear all those small road stones/peebles from the car in front of you smashing into your car ... that's when you wish you had some protection. Same if you go off track and spin up a lot of gravel yourself. Road warrior gunk does a decent job of protecting, though not as good as PPF.

There's also an excellent pinned topic about this: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/first-track-day-prep-and-expectations.156490/

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
If you are worried about rock chips on your front bumper, hood and windshield, it is because you care about your car's appearance.

I recommend at the very minimum to put some painter's tape on the front bump and front of the hood. That is what people who rarely track will do... but if you are "REALLY" worried about your car's appearance and plan on doing more than just 1 event, then PPF is a must for keeping rocks from snicking your perfect paint..

I had a 2015 Mustang GT that I never bothered to protect and I had to get the front bumper and hood repainted. It was like someone had sand blasted the front of my car... and the front bumpers of our cars are essentially plastic, so the rocks not only chipped the paint but dented the bumper itself, so fixing the paint / dabbing on some scratch filler paint would work, but PPF was a lost cause at that point because there were so many little dents.

A good PPF should prevent that from happening, and I think it's best to be prepared and prevent it from happening in the first place. If you can afford it, PPF it!

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
@Mikegotamach

Im surprised no one has mentioned that you need an SA2020 rated Helmet! This is the certification that all Auto racing tracks require.

I started tracking my GT when it was bone stock (Non-PP with 10R80). I found that the brakes were in desperate need of an upgrade. I got SS lines, RBF 660, and G-Loc R10 pads. As far as the front end, for an HPDE you won't get any damage on the front end unless you're tailgating someone. HPDE is not racing, you shouldn't be that close to anyone. The rubber boogers won't damage your paint unless you let it sit for a couple days. Take the time after your HPDE to properly clean them off. Should be easy right after with a good quick detailer!

The PS4S are great for the track for beginners, whoever told you they aren't suitable for the track was referring to actual racing, not HPDE. I tracked on those for my HPDE's for 2 years no problem. Just pay attention to the temp and PSI.

My rule for oil is I never track the car below 50% oil life left. It's a good rule of thumb to follow.

I also will say that if your ambient temperature gets to 80+ you'll run into heat issues with the coyote. Be mindful, but to remedy this I just sift at 6k rpms and was fine. I still had plenty of power. Any less ambient I'm fine.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me!

Cheers :like:

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
Just buy the rolls for cheap and slap it on. Commercial kits and professional install is $$$$$.
That said I think I'll have my window tint guy do it.
Yep, it all depends on how deep the pockets are and how protected @Mikegotamach wants the car to be on the street as well..

OP
OP

Mikegotamach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Thanks for the great advice! Looks like I am going to stick with the PS4S for now and change fluids a week in advance so they are fresh (both we changed back in October).

Going to look into ppf as it might be good to have regardless but want to make sure I find a reputable shop. Might do something temporary for the upcoming event.

Great call on the helmet. I am going to look to try and get out to a race shop by me to try some on. If I can't do you guys recommend any websites that sell them that I can order 2 and easily return 1? Revzilla was good with this for motorcycles.

Also thanks for the link to the other thread. It helped me make sure I have all the essentials packed in my toolkit.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Hi all,

So I am getting my 22 Mach 1 prepped for it's and was hoping to lean on the group foe some advice.

1. Thinking of changing tires as I currently have PS4S and have been reading they are not suitable for the track. The mustang is a weekend driver so I can get a more aggressive tire but I still drive way more on the street then track. Would the Hankook RS4 work for me? Are they OK on street? Have read they are awful in the rain but I rarely have my car out when it's not sunny though I do drive it on nice winter days with lower Temps.

2. Do I need to get ppf done to the front to avoid damage? I keep seeing posts with people using painters tape to avoid rubber damage, is it really necessary? I am fine with the car getting a bit dirty and needing a good wash would just want to try and avoid serious dents/paint issues.

3. Currently have a shoei motorcycle helmet i use for my bikes but have been reading that not all track days allow bike helmets. Are there certain brands know for a step above the others like Shoei and Arai in motorcycles? I typically swear by shoei as my original saved my life in a crash.

4. I won't be pushing my car to the limits since I am new to car track days but do I need to change my oil or brake fluid to be race specific? Is there anything else i should do to worry about to cool the engine/ car?

New to car track days so open to any advice that will help ensure I am prepared.

Thanks in advance for the help!
1. PS4S will work for you. Donā€™t change a thing, just learn.
2. If you track often then Iā€™d think about it.
3. Youā€™ll probably have to change your helmet. Iā€™d call in advance to save yourself a headache the day of.
4. Youā€™ll probably be fine. Depending on the life of your oil you might consider changing it.

Ultimately, just go to learn and build confidence. Confidence leads to speed. Speed leads to making changes to the car. I would heavily advise against modding your car until you learn it more.

Have a blast and good luck not becoming a track rat lol
Sponsored