1987 Buick Grand National vs 2018 gt

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
My ‘87 was far from stock. A GN is no joke. I regret selling that car.. lol..

96ABE742-B9F3-40D1-AD9C-114DC628DEE5.jpeg
They are very valuable now. I wish I still had my 1991 454SS Silverado
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
They are very valuable now. I wish I still had my 1991 454SS Silverado
I still remember the review on those from one of the mags of the time, "it can pass anything on the road except a gas station."

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I still remember the review on those from one of the mags of the time, "it can pass anything on the road except a gas station."
Yeah 9mpg and it had either a 24 or 32 gallon tank and got about 280 miles from a tank. It was a quick truck though. Ended up with a whipple on it and it was just down right scary to drive. Gas was cheap though. 65 to 70 cents a gallon.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
LSChicago,

My apologies. You are right, the GN owner has done the bigger turbo and ECM update.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Reminds of that Game Show "Pass Time" several years ago. The number of "Stock" cars I saw run 10's and 11's was laughable.

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Over the years the GN has served me humble pie on more than one occasion, and sent me back into my garage contemplating what happened 🇺🇸
Those 3.8 v6’s are down right nasty when lightly modded. Hell that car handed corvette’s their asses when it was new. How Buick got it out the door past the bean counters is still a mystery. That’s the only time in GM history that a car rolled off the line and produced more performance than the Vette.

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
This thread really makes me miss my Syclones I owned over the years. The last one I heavily modified with a bowtie 4.3 build to run 9’s but still look like a “stock” S10. Man that thing was crazy off the line.... AWD boost launch around 4psi off the foot brake and hold on. Frequently ran it up to 30psi, 24 on the street. Was about as fast on the street as the strip. The money in that build though.... my god it was expensive. I had at least $35k-$40k in that build. I never lost to anything, car or bike, off the line on the street. Usually by the time they figured out wtf was happening I had bus lengths on them. My two good friends had a similar modded typhoon and a very modded GN. We had some fun. The good ole days.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
This thread really makes me miss my Syclones I owned over the years. The last one I heavily modified with a bowtie 4.3 build to run 9’s but still look like a “stock” S10. Man that thing was crazy off the line.... AWD boost launch around 4psi off the foot brake and hold on. Frequently ran it up to 30psi, 24 on the street. Was about as fast on the street as the strip. The money in that build though.... my god it was expensive. I had at least $35k-$40k in that build. I never lost to anything, car or bike, off the line on the street. Usually by the time they figured out wtf was happening I had bus lengths on them. My two good friends had a similar modded typhoon and a very modded GN. We had some fun. The good ole days.
Again all 3 are down right nasty when modded. Look what kenny duttweiler performance has done with that car. Here is a good read on his show. The man had done 2000 hp on a heavy modded 3.8 🤷🏼‍♂️
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/take-five-kenny-duttweiler/

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
It seems no one knows what "STOCK" means these days. A tune is not stock. A bigger Turbo is not stock. A drag radial is not stock. My 18GT ran 11.92 stock. Reading your signature you list a Stage 2 PC. You should have no trouble beating this modded GN.
What about Fuzzy Dice? Adds a couple ounces of weight.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It never happened. My down the street neighbor that owns the car is a nice guy with a really clean GN.

I asked him many times via text and the answer was always "sure". After about the 5th time, over a period of several months, I realized he wasn't really interested.

I recently supercharged my GT, so I doubt it would be a fair race now.

I would have loved to see how a new tech NA mustang would have faired with high tech of the past.
The result is predictable, but still a lot of us were interested as well. I've had the same thing happen. Someone says we should see which car is faster, but they never seem to find the time to do it. Either they don't want to get in trouble for racing on the street, are afraid to break or something. Don't know why someone wouldn't give'r a go.

My apologies for starting something I could not finish, goes against my grain.

If I would have known this is how it was going to turn out, I would have never started this thread.

However, I have enjoyed the feedback and responses very much.
I for one am glad you started the thread. It was a good trip down memory lane.

TXAG96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21Bronco,'20Bullitt,'01Boxster,'87Tbird-Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This thread was a fun if not completely anticlimactic ....
While I appreciate the menacing and raw square looks of the Buick GN, it always let me down when examined up close. The whole car looked cheaply put together. The interior bits and trim seems to let the car down a bit. My 87 Turbo Coupe, while slow as a snail, was built like a high end luxury car in comparison.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
My brother with his 98 Cobra and me with my 87 T quite a few years ago now. Still have the T. Not as fast as my Mustang, but still a blast to drive.

Scott and Me at the car show 090306.JPG

thundertorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP; 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305 V8 TBI
I live in the same area as you @schmeky and I bet I know of the GN that you are writing about (just seen it around on the interstate a few times). It is a slick car and I'd love to know how this turns out. Too bad it never happened.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Ok, it's driving me crazy that in spite 9f the fact that that race never happened, this thread keeps popping up. We need to take matters into our own hands. Here's my plan:

1. Sneak a GPS tracker onto the GN.
2. Next time he goes out, follow remotely.
3. "Accidentally" bump into him at the destination.
4. Convince the driver to do a "quick pull".
5. Profit.
Road trip!
Sponsored