Sponsored

1987 Buick Grand National vs 2018 gt

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I was really tempted to get a GTO or WS6. instead, I got a Mach1. the WS6 had an interior that looked like it was still eh 80's with HUGE buttons, and the GTO just weighed to much. I do kind of regret not getting a SS, for a family sedan those things move. My friends doing 12.02 with his auto, cam, headers and tune.
I waited too late on pulling the trigger on a Chevy SS 6 speed. They HEAVILY Discounted them when they ended production. I could have bought one new back then for basically what they are selling for now...they were just so plain.

I did have a Pontiac G8 GXP 6 speed. Bought it as a dealer demo (general mgr was driving it). Really liked that car. Had it maybe 6 months, got an offer on it (made money) and away it went.
Sponsored

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The last time I ran at Union Grove on one of those "open" race nights I got my ass handed to me by a "stock" GN... that ran 10.50 against my 11.29 in my "stock" Mitsubishi VR4.
What in the 1/8 mile........................NO WAY a stock GN would ever see 10s

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
This is an interesting thread IMO. I realize the Grand National has a lot of potential, but it's a 30+ year old car. I've been collecting a performance database on all types of vehicles for the past year+. What I've learned is that old performance cars crack me up compared to their modern brethren (this doesn't surprise most of us, but the general population doesn't understand the massive amount of progress in performance cars in the last 25 years):

1987 Buick Grand National:
Motor Trend: 0-60 mph: 6.1 sec; quarter mile: 14.7 sec @ 95.1 mph, 60-0 mph: 149 ft (MT, August 1987)
Road and Track: 0-60 mph in 6.0 sec and through the quarter mile in 14.7 sec at 94.0 mph.

It was about as quick as a Camaro IROC Z in the day. Ah, but compared to a modern car....Congrats, from the factory, the Grand National is about as quick as a 2019 Mazda CX-5 compact crossover (signature trim, 250 hp 4 cyl.; 0-60 in 6.1 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.6 @ 95 mph).

My first car was a used 1987 Camaro Z28 that ran the 1/4 mile in about 15 flat, and I was envious of an older acquaintance of mine that had a clean Grand National (I don't remember if it was a GNX). This was in '96. Turns out it wasn't that much quicker than my Z but in my mind it was a bigger delta between the two.

OH, and the big bad GNX? C&D tested one that went 0-60 in 4.7 seconds (truly very quick back then) and the 1/4 mile in 13.5 @ ~102 mph. That was a special press car, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a hot factory car but none-the-less, that's what it ran. R&T couldn't best upper 13s in their tester (with some abuse on it according to the article I read). Anyway, that's at least decent by today's standard for a sports sedan. Although, 4th gen LT1 powered Camaro Z28 SS (not the base Z28 version) and Trans Am WS6 were trapping 104-106 mph so 102 mph didn't stay impressive for terribly long.

All that to say, if he's stock or near stock, GNX or not, your 2018 GT should lay waste esp if it's the A10 (can't tell by your post or signature). The question is - how much has been done to the car to make it very much, significantly quicker than a factory stock Grand National. A little more boost from a slightly larger turbo won't be enough.
I had a new '85 IROC Z, got beat on the street 3Xs by the new GN. Surprised the crap out of me.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
What in the 1/8 mile........................NO WAY a stock GN would ever see 10s
Notice "Stock" in quotations.

GNs back in the day with low cost mods (a good bit of labor and attention to detail though) were easy low 12 second cars. Make the stock waste gate adjustable, chip, injectors, tires, some MAF / piping mods, exhaust dump, shift kit and a lock up switch for the converter (To lock it on launch) and some suspension mods (coil spring rear - air bag inside the coil was a great trick on all G-Body cars) would do it.

A car modded along these lines (I was good friends with a guy who must have owned 10 GNs / T-Types) could look BONE STOCK except for tire and go like snot.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Over the years the GN has served me humble pie on more than one occasion, and sent me back into my garage contemplating what happened 🇺🇸

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I waited too late on pulling the trigger on a Chevy SS 6 speed. They HEAVILY Discounted them when they ended production. I could have bought one new back then for basically what they are selling for now...they were just so plain.
That's EXACTLY my issue, they were like 20% off at the end and I found a green 6spd, but when i was able to go out that weekend it was already sold.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
This whole thread is awesome. Man I love the Buick GN.

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yup I remember when I met the GN... 17 years old in my foxboby. As Im passing what looked like grampas Buick I hear this whistle... by the time I caught on to what was happening and downshifted he was gone lol.
Cant say that I want one but I do think they're cool as hell.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Yup I remember when I met the GN... 17 years old in my foxboby. As Im passing what looked like grampas Buick I hear this whistle... by the time I caught on to what was happening and downshifted he was gone lol.
Cant say that I want one but I do think they're cool as hell.
That also describes my first encounter with a Syclone.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I was 3rd Gen F-Body guy for quite a while. Everyone forgets about the 1989 Turbo Trans Am.

The Syclones were cool - I knew a girl way back when whose Dad bought a Typhoon brand new. That thing was fun. Talking about surprising people at a stop light.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
It seems no one knows what "STOCK" means these days. A tune is not stock. A bigger Turbo is not stock. A drag radial is not stock. My 18GT ran 11.92 stock. Reading your signature you list a Stage 2 PC. You should have no trouble beating this modded GN.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
A tune is not stock. A bigger Turbo is not stock
The GNX was tuned and had a bigger turbo along with a bigger intercooler from the Mclaren camp. In case anyone didn't know that haha.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
LS Chicago,

When I asked to have a fun roll race with my neighbors GN, my car was 100% stock way back in April of 2020 (the start of this thread).

The Stage 2 PC was added in January of 2021. So yes sir, I know what stock is.

Besides, I would never knowingly deceive someone by saying my car was stock when it's not.

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
It seems no one knows what "STOCK" means these days. A tune is not stock. A bigger Turbo is not stock. A drag radial is not stock. My 18GT ran 11.92 stock. Reading your signature you list a Stage 2 PC. You should have no trouble beating this modded GN.
Every criminal is innocent and everybody running at the strip is stock...until proven otherwise.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
LS Chicago,

When I asked to have a fun roll race with my neighbors GN, my car was 100% stock way back in April of 2020 (the start of this thread).

The Stage 2 PC was added in January of 2021. So yes sir, I know what stock is.
I wasn't referring to you. That was directed at the "stock" GN with a bigger turbo.
Sponsored