1987 Buick Grand National vs 2018 gt

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Have a new neighbor just down the street with a really nice 87 Buick GN. He says it is all stock, but has a "bigger" turbo. We were discussing his GN versus my GT (mine is stock).

Since his bigger turbo is an unknown, wonder who would prevail in roll on from around 40 mph?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Have a new neighbor just down the street with a really nice 87 Buick GN. He says it is all stock, but has a "bigger" turbo. We were discussing his GN versus my GT (mine is stock).

Since his bigger turbo is an unknown, wonder who would prevail in roll on from around 40 mph?
So first question. Does your neighbor have a GN or a GNX? Big difference. Regardless your GT should be able to bury him.

Officially, Buick claims a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 sec for the GNX versus their Grand National number of 6.9. Through the quarter mile, the GNX clocks 13.4 sec to 104.0 mph against 15.7 at 97.5.

By the way, fun fact. The 87’ GNX was the fastest production car made that year.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The last time I ran at Union Grove on one of those "open" race nights I got my ass handed to me by a "stock" GN... that ran 10.50 against my 11.29 in my "stock" Mitsubishi VR4.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Bigger turbo and still stock??? Anyway, a factory turbo car with an up graded turbo ain’t no joke. I got 450 wheel out of a SRT-4 back in the day. It all depends on how big that upgraded turbo is. Good luck.

Last edited:

CompOrangeFanatic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium /2019 Toyota Camry XSE V6
Unless he's pushing a lot more boost through that so called 'bigger turbo', you should eat it for lunch. Plus, they don't have much of a tire on them if its stock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
We may be finding out this weekend. Stay tuned.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So first question. Does your neighbor have a GN or a GNX? Big difference. Regardless your GT should be able to bury him.

Officially, Buick claims a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 sec for the GNX versus their Grand National number of 6.9. Through the quarter mile, the GNX clocks 13.4 sec to 104.0 mph against 15.7 at 97.5.

By the way, fun fact. The 87’ GNX was the fastest production car made that year.
Not so fast. I've seen lightly modded GNs run 12s...upgrade the turbo + good gas and 10s are possible.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Not so fast. I've seen lightly modded GNs run 12s...upgrade the turbo + good gas and 10s are possible.
I hear you. These cars have insane potential. A buddy of mine had a regular GN that was an animal. But this neighbor is saying his car is “stock”. If true and he takes OP, the Mustang should replaced with a Prius. :)

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Ask him to do a dig race and see what he says....

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Keep us updated.

I would definitely find out if he is going to be running stock tires(whatever it has for the street), and whatever else you can of course. If someone has gone to the trouble of upgrading the turbo, it makes me think he is downplaying what he has.

edit: sorry just realized you were talking about role racing... so tire isn’t as big of a deal... still matters if he has insane power but not as much as from a dig of course.

Back in the early 90’s there was a grand national that pretty much ruled the streets in my home town. It was a 10.5 car.. full cage, upgrades by Texas Turbo, etc. As others have stated those cars have a lot of potential and can be deceptively built to easily be a sleeper(not a true sleeper but you know what I mean )

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
Stock is a very subjective term. I had an 87 Turbo T (Regal turbo, same mechanically as GN) It was stock turbo, stock down pipe. I had a Hooker catback, Injectors, AFPR, Quad Air race gas chip (yeah, a chip that plugged into the ecm) and an adjustable wastegate (not a traditional boost controller, just an adjustable rod on wastegate actuator) I had boost set at 20lbs. That car went 12.01@109. While they were animals in their time, by todays standards they're relatively slow. They are amazing cars simply because they were so advanced for their time, but your 18 will drag a truly stock GNs ass. Stock they ran 13.80s with good air. A TE49 is a common upgrade on those cars as it's a direct replacement turbo that is just slightly larger than stock, I'm sure thats what your neighbor has if the rest of the car is stock. If thats the case, you've got him covered by a football field.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
GN's were running mid to low 12s w/bolt-ons 30 years ago, I have to imagine that the technology has improved drastically.

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
Back in 87 I had a 70 Dodge dart with a 318 and 2barrel carb, headers and point ignition and a wore out humpty dumpty camshaft, a brand new black GN pulls up, we go from a stop and after 1st gear I'd slowly pull away, we went at it over and over, from dead stops to rolls and I'd get him every time, we pull over he was nice guy but pissed, he said he just bought the car and asked how much I bought mine, lol I said 350.00 he wasn't happy especially when I told him what it was for a power plant

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
He says it is all stock, but has a "bigger" turbo. We were discussing his GN versus my GT (mine is stock).
Bigger turbo is the GNX, either way unless you really screw the pooch, you'll destroy him.
Sponsored