Sponsored

1987 Buick Grand National vs 2018 gt

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I would have loved to see how a new tech NA mustang would have faired with high tech of the past.
As someone said any coyote would gap it badly and have a buffer at the traps of 7+mph. More of a race for a 3v or an EB/cyclone.

still was an awesome car. I remember my eyes popping out of my head when I saw the 86 GN at 4.9 to 60 back in the day. There is (or used to be) a still new and unsold GNX at a Buick dealership in Long Beach, CA. I made a pilgrimage once a couple of years ago. It was cool.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The Buick GNX deserves every bit of the word respect. Hugely historically significant American car.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I’ve seen built GN’s turn 8’s. Kenny Dettwiler I think has gone low 7s

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Kenny Dettwiler I think has gone low 7s
Yes Sir. One in my neck of the woods runs mid 8's. But man does he go through cylinder heads !

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I was just going to say I saw one at the track a couple of weeks ago run in the very low 10s. I'm sure he wasn't stock...but I didn't see one one Mustang or Dodge get any faster than the Grand National. Build the Mustang and or Dodge and I am sure they would be faster. I give respect when it is due and I gave that car much respect. I know he trapped faster than I would...of course I am manual.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Random GN fact. In the 80's 90's one of the top GN tuners in the country was a SunoCo gas station owner on the east coast. (I remember seeing GN's there all the time as a kid). That station is directly across the street from what is now Evolution Performance.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
9 sec recipe for the Buick Grand National:
  • Off Center Stage 2 block 4.1 litre
  • Crower crank 3.625 stroke makes 274 C.U.
  • Crower 6.300″ I beam rods
  • RJC Racing 14 bolt Girdle with crank scraper
  • RJC Racing 14 bolt Deep Sump Oil Pan
  • Cometic Head gaskets (maximum bore for RJC gaskets is 3.840)
  • Champion Valve Covers custom engraved with RJC Racing
  • RJC 7 piece pulley Set
  • RJC Racing headers
  • RJC A.D. power plate “P”
  • RJC 70mm plenum
  • 70MM Acufab T.B.
  • 4.020 JE pistons with light weight JE wrist pins
  • Total seal rings
  • Comp custom 230/230 solid roller cam
  • Ported Champion aluminum heads.
  • ARP head studs torqued to 85 ft/lbs.
  • Champion T&D Jessel style 1.6 5rockers
  • Ported stock intake done by myself
  • HR Parts poly motor mounts
  • All factory accessories including cold A/C and working cruise control
  • GT-70 Q trim 3 bolt turbocharger, Precision 85 exhaust housing
  • FAST engine management tuned by Jason with pointers from Cal Hartline
  • 120# MSD injectors
  • MDS DIS 4 HO
  • Stock fuel lines
  • Acufab Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Dual XP pumps setup by Tom Cramer, 2nd pump on at 17# of bost
  • RJC IC-475-4 Megacoler Intercooler
  • RJC 5″ down pipe
  • RJC 4″ maxflow exhaust
  • Stock style waste gate.
  • RJC Boost Controller
9 sec recipe for 15+ Mustang GT:
  • Whipple

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
For the people saying the GNX's 13.4 was "fast for back then" remember it wasn't till 2001 Ford managed to start doing faster than 13.4. The GNX was fast for a stock car from 87- the early 00's. It was competitive to almost any stock American car that wasn't a Viper, Z06 Terminator or GT500. All of which have much larger engines and in 2 cases a super charger. Till the new 5.0 came out to replace the 4.6 it was a solid race for any NA 4v/3v Mustang.
You're forgetting the LS1 F-Bodies which were absolute rockets when they came out. Put some decent tires on them and high 12's were attainable stock. They're still fast even now, they just rattle apart while going fast.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My apologies for starting something I could not finish, goes against my grain.

If I would have known this is how it was going to turn out, I would have never started this thread.

However, I have enjoyed the feedback and responses very much.

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
With the 3.8 pushrod v6? If not is it still a GN?
Yes with a 3.8 V6. They twin turbo them and those thing haul balls. They can run high 7s no problem.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
First, your car is always "stock" if somebody asks. Unless you have a blower sticking out of the hood or something else so painfully obvious that you can't keep a straight face you try to float the stock line first and see where that takes you.

Second, GNs have been handing unsuspecting Mustangs their asses since the 80's. I've always maintained that since their creation to this day they remain the worlds greatest sleeper car.

Sorry you didn't get your race OP, it would have been interesting to see where 30 years of evolution got us on that one.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You're forgetting the LS1 F-Bodies which were absolute rockets when they came out. Put some decent tires on them and high 12's were attainable stock. They're still fast even now, they just rattle apart while going fast.

Yeah people tend to forgot about the LS1 F-Bodies. I had a 6 speed LT1 powered Formula. It was a fun car. Added gears, a few mild mods etc. Buddy bought a LS1 Camaro 6 speed. It did NOT Feel faster than my LT1 car. Took it to the track. It was faster. By a good bit. I've personally driven a 2001 Camaro SS 6 speed. With a bias ply on the rear, and an air box lid - that car ran high 12's all day. He added headers, a cut out, subframe connector and some other suspension stuff to get the 60 down and it was a solid mid 12 second car with low 12's in good air.

He added cam, 4.11 gears and it ran deep into the 11's.

Drivetrain was great. Dashes cracking, chasing rattles in the interior - not so much.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I was really tempted to get a GTO or WS6. instead, I got a Mach1. the WS6 had an interior that looked like it was still eh 80's with HUGE buttons, and the GTO just weighed to much. I do kind of regret not getting a SS, for a family sedan those things move. My friends doing 12.02 with his auto, cam, headers and tune.
Sponsored