Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I owned 5 Syclones over 25 years, from mild to heavily modified. The Syclone did not have anything in common with the GN/GNX.. it was based on the 4.3 truck engine that was basically a stock LB4 with hyprutectic pistons and nodular iron main caps, 700r4 transmission with a modified valve body, Borg Warner 7742 xfer case, and stock s-10 rear end. Syclones were fun on the street due to their AWD, but a significant investment was needed to make one go 10's and survive. From a dig at a light it is very hard to beat even a stock Syclone if the driver put a couple of pounds of boost against the foot brake.

The Syclone was inferior to the GN in just about every way, the Turbo 3.8 was a much more robust and well-thought out platform. The Syclone was cobbled together with parts that generally already resided in the GM parts bin.

BTW.... Your story about the Syclones going to Sweden is accurate, I was good friends with the guy who did a lot of the shipping for them. I believe the fastest AWD title still resides with Robert from Sweden - 8.9x as I recall.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-gmc-syclone-19/

Go for good money now.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I owned 5 Syclones over 25 years, from mild to heavily modified. The Syclone did not have anything in common with the GN/GNX.. it was based on the 4.3 truck engine that was basically a stock LB4 with hyprutectic pistons and nodular iron main caps, 700r4 transmission with a modified valve body, Borg Warner 7742 xfer case, and stock s-10 rear end. Syclones were fun on the street due to their AWD, but a significant investment was needed to make one go 10's and survive. From a dig at a light it is very hard to beat even a stock Syclone if the driver put a couple of pounds of boost against the foot brake.

The Syclone was inferior to the GN in just about every way, the Turbo 3.8 was a much more robust and well-thought out platform. The Syclone was cobbled together with parts that generally already resided in the GM parts bin.

BTW.... Your story about the Syclones going to Sweden is accurate, I was good friends with the guy who did a lot of the shipping for them. I believe the fastest AWD title still resides with Robert from Sweden - 8.9x as I recall.
Thanks a lot for your insight and info. I have been thinking of buying a Syclone. Would you recommend it or should I pass?

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thanks a lot for your insight and info. I have been thinking of buying a Syclone. Would you recommend it or should I pass?
I would pass... unless you can get a stock truck with a proven pedigree and keep it that way. Like GN's, Syclones were almost always modified to some extent and tampering with the odometer was/is extremely common. It was very easy to detonate the engine due to poorly designed heads and ignition for a boosted application - which took out many stock motors that came with cast rods/crank. To make one hold decent power consistently the entire powertrain needed to be upgraded. The shock factor with them was how quickly they could take off due to the AWD/Auto transmission, but a stock Syclone started to nose over pretty quicly after 60mph.

There are very few people left on earth who know much about them which makes it even more complicated for a new owner and there is effectively no aftermarket left for them. The forum BB is gone except for archives, but some of the OG's reside on the SyTy (syclone/typhoon) facebook page if you can find them.

If you decide to pull the trigger on one feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I was a continuous owner from 1991 - 2016 when I sold my last truck (high 9 sec full bowtie block build) and bought my Mustang. At one point I owned 3 of them at the same time lol... pretty sure I could have retired by now if I had stayed away from them.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I would pass... unless you can get a stock truck with a proven pedigree and keep it that way. Like GN's, Syclones were almost always modified to some extent and tampering with the odometer was/is extremely common. It was very easy to detonate the engine due to poorly designed heads and ignition for a boosted application - which took out many stock motors that came with cast rods/crank. To make one hold decent power consistently the entire powertrain needed to be upgraded. The shock factor with them was how quickly they could take off due to the AWD/Auto transmission, but a stock Syclone started to nose over pretty quicly after 60mph.

There are very few people left on earth who know much about them which makes it even more complicated for a new owner and there is effectively no aftermarket left for them. The forum BB is gone except for archives, but some of the OG's reside on the SyTy (syclone/typhoon) facebook page if you can find them.

If you decide to pull the trigger on one feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. I was a continuous owner from 1991 - 2016 when I sold my last truck (high 9 sec full bowtie block build) and bought my Mustang. At one point I owned 3 of them at the same time lol... pretty sure I could have retired by now if I had stayed away from them.
Thanks again. Passing makes a lot of sense. Maybe I'll just go looking for an old S10 and put a small block in it. I really just need a small pickup truck to haul stuff and would like something with a little power.

BillAz31

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
16 Roush Stq 3 (sold), VW Tiguan, Audi TTS,
I had a 93 Typhoon. The drive train was not intended to be bolted to a high power motor. I must have put (5) starters in it, a front differential, (2) prop shafts, (3) transmissions (the last one race built - lasted 6 months), (2) transfer cases and (2) steering shafts. Oh, and broke the rear springs. The thing would dig like mad out of the hole, but wheezed a little on top. It was an absolute money pit.

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
My dad, in his youth, owned a foxbody 302 and drove it like a maniac. He said his biggest surprise was when a GN blew his doors off.

Fast forward to a cruise I took my dad along in my new 2019 and I'm behind a mint and definitely not stock GN. Light goes green, he seemed like he was going for it so I did and blew passed him. I figured he wasn't trying so I short shifted first but, alas, he was. Through third gear he ended up passing me (albeit very slowly, it was a good nose to nose). My dad was laughing saying how it brought back memories.

It was a fluke and I'm positive I wouldn't have lost in a straight head to head. Yet, it's so much more fun to joke about how my bloodline is destined to lose to grand nationals in a mustang.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
To the O/P.. raced a bone stock GN-X last night from a dig. Wasn't even close my man. He got gapped HARD lol. Cheers.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Wildhorse,

I LOVE it. I would like to find out for myself. I will try to goad this neighbor into a least a roll race. I'm more than willing, and I'm dying for a hook up!

Thanks, I really appreciate the post.

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Run em and find out. I would put my money on the a10 18 gt. A10’s are nasty from a roll.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looks like this may happen. Sent a text and GN owner said "Sure". Going to see if we can coordinate for the coming week.

I'll update one way or another, winner or looser.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I'm sure you'll smoke him

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Take him to a road course. Over in 1st turn.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
This is the most drawn out vs. thread...6 months of back and forth to try to race a Grand National that, if stock or near stock, you'll easily smoke. Ha.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If he outruns me he'll earn it. Drove my GT this morning (50 degrees and low humidity) and it runs like a beast.
Sponsored