'19 GT350 engine replacement

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
It would be useful as well to know the type of driving over the course of the engines life. 29K of track use is a lot different to 29K of commuting. (Not for one moment am I suggesting that the owners are at fault)

as an example the first gen 3.5 ecoboost was tested extensively by ford, they did their famous torture test and the engines performed remarkably well. then in the real world the engines were not driven hard, puttered about a sub 2000 rpm most of their lives and blew up in droves.

so engine usage might show some similarities in driving style or what type of use exposes the weakness.

just a thought. and before someone suggests I am pointing the finger at driving styles the opposite is actually the reason, if both hard track use AND daily driving both expose the same issue, you know it's an engine design issue.
Sponsored

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
Thanks Tom for sharing this. I have noted several of the 2020 failures have been #8 cylinder; broken valve springs, dropped a valve. Read a thought that Ford received bad batch of valves..? I have a 2020 now (3rd GT350 I have owned) and of course keenly interested/vested in this discussion. Wonder of benefit in doing oil balancing lines? Of course IF it is a suppliers poor QC on their valvetrain part OR Ford cheaped out when spec'ing a part, well then those lines will do little to save her. Also, you are spot on: drive these cars as intended and do nothing (modifications..) to give Ford pause 'should your number come up' so to speak. I LOVE the GT350 and refuse to live life w/o it OR to constantly frett over a possible engine failure. Will be getting extended warranty and smiling for many, many miles!

BKTorch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 350
I doubt crank is the reason. Otherwise we'll have similar symptoms through out 15-20. But they're all different. For instance 17' was known of oil starvation and 20' is cylinder failure.
As stupid as this may sound, Im convinced part of the issue with the 17's(if not the entire issue) was the oil filter itself. Notice which 17 motors had issues(after they switched away from the canister style filter in the second half of the production cycle. The FL2062 filters were not able to hold up to the oil pressure and would get sucked in causing an oil flow restriction. Thats most likely the reason they went to an aluminum core oil filter with FL 2087.... my oil pressure went from 70-90 on cold starts to 125 when i switched to the newer filter

Greg35

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
' 18 GT350
All above + production date on the motor would be helpful. Because I sense these motors are late 2019. We first start hearing about cylinder #8 failure in early 2020.
True! Cylinder #8, dropping a valve, broken spring all started being repeatedly noted causes very early 2020. Some #4 and #5 I believe IIRC. Would be very helpful, yes, if we could see a narrow time frame of actual engine build dates when majority have failed. Probably remote possibilty...

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
True! Cylinder #8, dropping a valve, broken spring all started being repeatedly noted causes very early 2020. Some #4 and #5 I believe IIRC. Would be very helpful, yes, if we could see a narrow time frame of actual engine build dates when majority have failed. Probably remote possibilty...
We need to get a engine failure pinned thread with build dates along with mileage and failure reason.

Sponsored

huskeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I personally think this thread is now starting to head into the graveyard of 350 failure threads. And I'm not having a go at anyone so please don't take this the wrong way.

Ford are the only ones who have the data in regards to failures, number of failures, probable causes, etc etc. That's it. No one else does. So while I don't think there is an issue with posting up about failures, whether personal or seeing a replacement at a workshop(such as this thread), once you start going into the "let's collect data, lets start a poll, let's work out the issue" etc side of things, it's just gets nonsensical. There would be so many failures that aren't reported in this forum, such as the 3 replacements Tomster spotted. No one knows the actual failure in a lot of these, especially pre-19, as the motors get shipped off. Was it the oil filter, lack of oil, valve train, opg, crank etc....no one knows apart from Ford.

So I think we need to step away from trying to work it out analytically (as we don't have data to do that) , take it for what it is, and just keep it in discussion formats for now. Maybe in a few years the official data will be released (or leaked), who knows.

Last edited:

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I'm not experience in this and it's probably sound naĆÆve and silly. But in today internet media ability to communicate perhaps we all or people with broken/replaced engines can officially write to Ford and ask them to be more transparent about voodoo failures. I'm little concern of the future of my GT350.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The engine on the floor that is pictured is replacing an engine with 29,000 miles.
This is the first higher mileage issue Iā€™ve heard.

Funny how none of these engine problems distract me from having a great time with my car.
Just wanted to let the doom and gloomers know itā€™s not working ;-)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It would be useful as well to know the type of driving over the course of the engines life. 29K of track use is a lot different to 29K of commuting. (Not for one moment am I suggesting that the owners are at fault)

as an example the first gen 3.5 ecoboost was tested extensively by ford, they did their famous torture test and the engines performed remarkably well. then in the real world the engines were not driven hard, puttered about a sub 2000 rpm most of their lives and blew up in droves.

so engine usage might show some similarities in driving style or what type of use exposes the weakness.

just a thought. and before someone suggests I am pointing the finger at driving styles the opposite is actually the reason, if both hard track use AND daily driving both expose the same issue, you know it's an engine design issue.
It is my understanding that the car was not a track car.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is the first higher mileage issue Iā€™ve heard.

Funny how none of these engine problems distract me from having a great time with my car.
Just wanted to let the doom and gloomers know itā€™s not working ;-)
Exactly, everyone relax and enjoy their car. This thread was never about instilling paranoia. When my CFTP took a dump, I had zero issue with taking one of my other R models out on the track to enjoy the experience. Although everything ran in slow motion compared to the CFTP, it was still an enjoyable day.

MS6_6538.jpg

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Iā€™m trollish? Who started the thread? I have an agenda? See previous question. Do explain my agenda. How many of these threads have there been? Your more invested then I am? Whoā€™s a little full of themselves. Do I bleed Ford blue, not hardly. And for the rest of your personal attack, well you can ......Seems I touched a nerve.
I have owned numerous GT350/R's over the last many years including my 2015 GT350 which has ~13,600 miles on it and it is running just fine and is my daily driver.

It does not use a drop of oil and puts a big smile on my face every time that I take it out.

In addition I have put on over 2500 miles on the 3 Base R models that I have owned (2016, 2017 and 2018 MY's) with my 2018 Base R model having ~1000 miles on it and trust me most of those miles were executed in a very aggressive drive pattern therefore they have not been babied by any means.

I certainly appreciate and understand the small percentage of engine failures for the ~25,000 GT350/R's that were built over the last 6 MY's and feel for those small percentage of owners.

There is no question that the 5.2 FPC Voodoo engine is certainly high strung and is an exotic engine therefore to expect little or no engine failures is very difficult to comprehend.

Are all GT350/R's broken in correctly and have many of these cars been abused by many Mustang enthusiasts, absolutely thus some engine failures.

Having said that it seems like the new term to be used lately and that is if certain people don't like our posts/responses their response is "Get Lost".

:sunglasses:

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have owned numerous GT350/R's over the last many years including my 2015 GT350 which has ~13,600 miles on it and it is running just fine and is my daily driver.

It does not use a drop of oil and puts a big smile on my face every time that I take it out.

In addition I have put on over 2500 miles on the 3 Base R models that I have owned (2016, 2017 and 2018 MY's) with my 2018 Base R model having ~1000 miles on it and trust me most of those miles were executed in a very aggressive drive pattern therefore they have not been babied by any means.

I certainly appreciate and understand the small percentage of engine failures for the ~25,000 GT350/R's that were built over the last 6 MY's and feel for those small percentage of owners.

There is no question that the 5.2 FPC Voodoo engine is certainly high strung and is an exotic engine therefore to expect little or no engine failures is very difficult to comprehend.

Are all GT350/R's broken in correctly and have many of these cars been abused by many Mustang enthusiasts, absolutely thus some engine failures.

Having said that it seems like the new term to be used lately and that is if certain people don't like our posts/responses it is "Get Lost".

:sunglasses:
Thats great Harry. Thanks for the meaningful input. "Get lost" = go away. Its my thread and any intelligent commentary is welcome. Unintelligent banter is not, hence "get lost".

I wish you would do a little soul searching and figure out where you had yourself a meltdown a while back. You need to reconcile how we went from good friends to dire enemies over one hasty interpretation of a comment. And here you are again and again.

So let's settle this one way or another.

Pm or text, but this can't keep going the way its going.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The engine on the floor that is pictured is replacing an engine with 29,000 miles.
Ugghh. I hate to see a failure on an engine when indications are that the owner was using their GT350 as a car. Obviously I'm making some assumptions, but 29,000 is a lot of miles for a garage queen. And just driving the car should not be a problem.

Indicates to me there probably was a defect in the engine.

Anyway - thanks for posting this up. I still want another GT350, but I somewhat feel like my decision to sell wasn't a terrible one. My car was going to be out of warranty and with the miles I was driving it, extending the warranty wasn't an option I wanted to take.

I'm still really hopeful that in the next few years we will learn a lot more about the Voodoo and there will be reasonable aftermarket improvements available. I really want to be able to pick up a used GT350 and enjoy it without worrying too much about a high cost repair.

I personally think this thread is now starting to head into the graveyard of 350 failure threads. And I'm not having a go at anyone so please don't take this the wrong way.

Ford are the only ones who have the data in regards to failures, number of failures, probable causes, etc etc. That's it. No one else does. So while I don't think there is an issue with posting up about failures, whether personal or seeing a replacement at a workshop(such as this thread), once you start going into the "let's collect data, lets start a poll, let's work out the issue" etc side of things, it's just gets nonsensical. There would be so many failures that aren't reported in this forum, such as the 3 replacements Tomster spotted. No one knows the actual failure in a lot of these, especially pre-19, as the motors get shipped off. Was it the oil filter, lack of oil, valve train, opg, crank etc....no one knows apart from Ford.

So I think we need to step away from trying to work it out analytically (as we don't have data to do that) , take it for what it is, and just keep it in discussion formats for now. Maybe in a few years the official data will be released (or leaked), who knows.
I agree we don't have the data to work it out analytically. I hope you're right and more data will come out over time.

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Thats great Harry. Thanks for the meaningful input. "Get lost" = go away. Its my thread and any intelligent commentary is welcome. Unintelligent banter is not, hence "get lost".

I wish you would do a little soul searching and figure out where you had yourself a meltdown a while back. You need to reconcile how we went from good friends to dire enemies over one hasty interpretation of a comment. And here you are again and again.

So let's settle this one way or another.

Pm or text, but this can't keep going the way its going.
Iā€™ve bitten my tongue enough...how about you take the high road and follow your own advice and PM Harry yourself rather than this egotistical jackass nonsense...

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Man I hate to see this.
This damn internet, non face to face stuff can go sideways pretty quick. This kind of stuff doesnā€™t happen in real life to often.

I remember a while back I made a comment about someoneā€™s post without thinking who that person was and what they had contributed to the forum over the years. I got my ass chewed as in ā€œhow dare youā€. Now if a new guy had said the exact same thing Iā€™ll guarantee his butt would have been chewed immediately by other long standing members.....sad really.
We really need to take a step back and think, life is to short to be doing this.
Tomster just reached out and got shit on for it....REALLY?
Sponsored