bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Even if I believed that Nuburgring times are reflective of how much I would enjoy driving each car, I would still not be interested in buying a Type R. I very much doubt I would ever roll down the window so I could hear the exhaust sound better, for example.
Yeah the Nurburgring times only reflect how good a car is around the track. And this week on the track we had a Type R that in 2KM lap beat my Mustang with 9 seconds. So around the track Type R is better car but so was the A45 from Mercedes for example. I do agree that V8 sounds much better than a Type R though.

I wouldn't worry about a used Mustang, but I would steer clear of a used Honda. They are not built to handle abuse like Mustangs are. I've had really good luck with used Mustangs over the years.
My first car was Honda Concerto and I do agree that used Honda's are a pain even in Europe. However we are talking 2-3 years old cars not 20. The Type R on the track was for sale and the price was half what I paid for my GT. And it's better around the track.

I could see in Europe a smaller FWD car might make more sense. I would pick a FiST or a FoRS over a Type R, though.
Since I own a regular Fiesta all of this cars were on my shopping list I still end-up with the Mustang what I don't like about the Type R is the wing as I use my inside mirror for looking back and this wing stays on the way. Otherwise the GT is a great car but around a race track the Type R will beat it with amazing difference.
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Uh. The GT will spank the R with prejudice.

The R can compete with the ecoboost though. Until the 2020 model anyway...

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Uh. The GT will spank the R with prejudice.

The R can compete with the ecoboost though. Until the 2020 model anyway...
On the 1/4 mile sure on an actual track I highly doubt it. And i seen it in action last weekend the Type-R is insane fast around a track.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
On the 1/4 mile sure on an actual track I highly doubt it. And i seen it in action last weekend the Type-R is insane fast around a track.
On a track designed for baby strollers, the GT MAY get beat by many cars with a smaller footprint. But on actual real tracks that actually test the engine as well as suspension, the R is a speck in the rear view.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
On a track designed for baby strollers, the GT MAY get beat by many cars with a smaller footprint. But on actual real tracks that actually test the engine as well as suspension, the R is a speck in the rear view.
So how exactly the Ring with it's 200 mph straight is designed for baby strollers ?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So how exactly the Ring with it's 200 mph straight is designed for baby strollers ?
The thing about the 'ring is there's a lot more variation from day to day in conditions than other tracks. There's also a literal F-ton of driver variability because the 'ring has a million corners. If you don't have the corners committed to memory or have someone helping you, you will lose lots of time on the 'ring.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The thing about the 'ring is there's a lot more variation from day to day in conditions than other tracks. There's also a literal F-ton of driver variability because the 'ring has a million corners. If you don't have the corners committed to memory or have someone helping you, you will lose lots of time on the 'ring.
For one last time the Ring lap records are usually done by a very limited number of drivers. And the Mustang GT lap was done by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_von_Saurma " In 2004, Saurma set the NĂĽrburgring lap record for a production car by taking the Porsche Carrera GT around in 7 minutes 32 seconds" I know you will not read this as you didn't read the article with the times from the Ring. So you can argue as much as you want but 'ring is not build for baby strollers and the Mustang GT was driven by a driver that hold the lap record for a production car.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For one last time the Ring lap records are usually done by a very limited number of drivers. And the Mustang GT lap was done by this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horst_von_Saurma " In 2004, Saurma set the NĂĽrburgring lap record for a production car by taking the Porsche Carrera GT around in 7 minutes 32 seconds" I know you will not read this as you didn't read the article with the times from the Ring. So you can argue as much as you want but 'ring is not build for baby strollers and the Mustang GT was driven by a driver that hold the lap record for a production car.
Thanks for your patience. That takes care of some of my concerns, but the Type R was not driven on the same day.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There may be some question as to the actual circumstances and condition of that Civic Type R that set that lap time:

https://fastestlaps.com/articles/is...g-nordschleife-front-wheel-drive-record-legit

By their own admission, this is a lap time recorded by a car in "final phase of testing regime", which basically means "free-for-all" in undisclosed mods, such as weight reduction, power boost or "extra special" rubber.

And a little more positive about it here, but Honda said they dumped the A/C and used special tires, although they were a bit vague about which tires.

https://jalopnik.com/honda-says-a-civic-type-r-prototype-destroyed-the-fwd-n-1689142579

I'm sure the Type R is a great car, but what people can actually buy may not be as hot as that lap time makes it sound.

I think this sums up the Nurbergring lap times pretty well:

Sure, 'Ring times are ultimately kind of silly since they're recorded and announced by the manufacturers and not some official third-party certifier. But this time shows that the new Civic Type R is a serious performer. I'm eager to see how the production car holds up.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
So you’re saying Ford has published an official mustang GT nurburgring time?
There are so many variables with the ring and so many ways manufacturers have manipulated published times, it’s no longer considered trustworthy.

Take an unmodified type r and an unmodified GT PP to any track not designed for baby strollers and see what happens.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So you’re saying Ford has published an official mustang GT nurburgring time?
Ford not it was done in independent test when the car got released in 2015 by a german car magazine so this is the Euro Spec GT PP not the US version which mean 15 chp difference.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase