Sponsored

18 & up MT-82 clutch "issue" -feedback

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so the day I test drove my (then new) 20 5.0, I noticed a small amount of clutch chatter (vibration) upon release. I have 1400 miles on it now and it hasn't changed much, maybe a tick worse. I took it to my dealer and the shop foreman drove it and felt what I felt but said that is characteristic for the clutch. So my question is, are you folks experiencing the same thing? Its first gear, most notable when not giving it much throttle upon pulling out from a stop.

The PCM will raise the rpm when you let the clutch out and if your in a drive thru for instance, you really dont even need to use the throttle. It is much smoother if you give it more RPM but often the amount of RPM necessary to smooth it out, really isn't necessary from an acceleration standpoint. (hope that makes sense) Anywho, any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
.... mmm... when mine was brand new ('21) for the first 200 miles it felt like that. Then it smoothed out considerably, or maybe that was me with the clutch. Without riding the clutch the car can be extremely smooth.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I agree it is very smooth. Except for low speed first gear. There are times when even modest appropriate engine rpm and say starting out on a hill, it will vibrate pretty good also.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I had a '19 that was bought back for bad paint and a '20 currently. They both did this chatter you describe. I have not managed to make it stop.

Had 7500 miles on the '19 and currently about 12k on the '20 and it's been consistent the whole time.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '19 that was bought back for bad paint and a '20 currently. They both did this chatter you describe. I have not managed to make it stop.

Had 7500 miles on the '19 and currently about 12k on the '20 and it's been consistent the whole time.
Thank you very much for chiming in. Before I completely dis-missed the dealer, I wanted to hear some real world feedback. It is absolutely annoying to me. I hope that the aftermarket offers something a bit better.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Thank you very much for chiming in. Before I completely dis-missed the dealer, I wanted to hear some real world feedback. It is absolutely annoying to me. I hope that the aftermarket offers something a bit better.
I read speculation that it has to do with the twin disc clutch they added for the 18+ years.

OP
OP
TnWHTMARE

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered if that was a contributing factor.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Mine has a bit of chatter, but not very often. Seems to depend on the situation.
Sponsored