Sponsored

17 GT Manual PP...How would you mod it with $5k?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I just want something that puts a smile on our faces and is reliable.
Great thing about 1 gen s550's.. super reliable with 700-750 hp & it'll always be 'smiles per gallon'. Cheers.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I get that, I just am having a hard time justifying all the suspension and wheel/tire mods when I don’t push it the current limits. That’s said, been looking at wheels and I’m in love with those P51s. The question now is 19” or 20”? I can see the advantages of lighter wheels aside from looks.
Good thing is either way they are far lighter and priced well. The new 555R ii are available in both 19 and 20 (555r predecessor was not available in 19) so you have good options for the rear in either size. If I were to do it again now I'd go 19 just for shorter tire. But the concave on the 20 is deeper if you are more interested in the look.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing is either way they are far lighter and priced well. The new 555R ii are available in both 19 and 20 (555r predecessor was not available in 19) so you have good options for the rear in either size. If I were to do it again now I'd go 19 just for shorter tire. But the concave on the 20 is deeper if you are more interested in the look.
Yeah on my 2V years ago I had a nice deep dish wheel on the rear, I loved that look.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Such a great thread, guys. I'm in the same boat as the OP (sort of). I have a gen2 manual performance pack with 34K miles and few mods: CAI/Tune, Roush axle back (a little louder than I prefer), and Eibach Sportlines. Still on the stock rims. I toss around the idea of modding and don't know where to start. I don't really want to supercharge it; I want a car that is nimble and quick. Having a manual with a well balanced car (power/suspension/weight) is my goal. Like the OP, just not sure of the right direction so I have found this to be a great thread.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Such a great thread, guys. I'm in the same boat as the OP (sort of). I have a gen2 manual performance pack with 34K miles and few mods: CAI/Tune, Roush axle back (a little louder than I prefer), and Eibach Sportlines. Still on the stock rims. I toss around the idea of modding and don't know where to start. I don't really want to supercharge it; I want a car that is nimble and quick. Having a manual with a well balanced car (power/suspension/weight) is my goal. Like the OP, just not sure of the right direction so I have found this to be a great thread.
Great, glad someone else is learning as I am! So which CAI/Tune do you have? Was it noticeable and worth it? I agree the Roush is loud, at least you still got the Resonator. lol.

jpro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Great, glad someone else is learning as I am! So which CAI/Tune do you have? Was it noticeable and worth it? I agree the Roush is loud, at least you still got the Resonator. lol.
Roush CAI and canned tune. It came on the car when I bought it used 2 years ago. I daily drive it and even though I haven't put many miles on it (12k in 2+ years) I can't imagine supercharging it. You're right, a manual is the way to go because they are so much fun...it's the reason I bought this car. I just think that the car has plenty of pep already and anything I do to it should increase the "fun factor", which means suspension and wheels/tires. I just don't have any idea where to start.

If I wanted big power I would probably just say "screw it" and trade it in towards a 13-14 GT500 rather than supercharge my S550.

I've also been a member of SVTP for a loooong time (like 2008?). Love it over there but recently created an account here after many years of lurking.
car.jpg

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Once you do some suspension work and get a feel for it you will soon realize you don't need boost to make the car fun. Yes boost would be nice but if its a street car keeping it N/A is ideal.

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
If you want the car to be nimble, do some more suspension work. Springs alone wont get you there. Read up or hit up Brian, he is pretty knowledgeable in this area. Also the car is plenty quick, just need some suspension work and you can take plenty of corners at speed, which gives that thrill of speed.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yes boost would be nice but if its a street car keeping it N/A is ideal.
It's also nice when a N/A s550 hands any boosted 3-valve it's butt. haha

Sponsored
OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Roush CAI and canned tune. It came on the car when I bought it used 2 years ago. I daily drive it and even though I haven't put many miles on it (12k in 2+ years) I can't imagine supercharging it. You're right, a manual is the way to go because they are so much fun...it's the reason I bought this car. I just think that the car has plenty of pep already and anything I do to it should increase the "fun factor", which means suspension and wheels/tires. I just don't have any idea where to start.

If I wanted big power I would probably just say "screw it" and trade it in towards a 13-14 GT500 rather than supercharge my S550.

I've also been a member of SVTP for a loooong time (like 2008?). Love it over there but recently created an account here after many years of lurking.
car.jpg
Awesome thanks for the input man! All great points.

OP
OP
chagan02

chagan02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If want the car to be nimble do some more suspension work. Springs alone wont get you there. Read up or hit up Brian, he is pretty knowledgeable in this area. Also the car is plenty quick, just need some suspension work and you can take plenty of corners at speed, which gives that thrill of speed.
I agree with everything here. Lots to be said for taking corners at speed, I guess I’m just old school as I get a bigger thrill out of pure acceleration as opposed to lateral acceleration. Corners are fun and I love that too, but I wanna be able to stomp it and it pull like a mutha. Probably a little spoiled with past S/C cars (termi and 17psi Novi on a 2V). My car as it is does pull good, I just feel like I’d like a little more. I’ve had 550whp in the past and I thought it was about perfect. All that said, I realize you can’t have it all, especially if budget and reliability are a concern. Which is why if I could get to 450whp NA (within reason on budget) I’d just do that and then work on wheels, tires, etc.

So, to put a bow on this...
  • What are the opinions on LTH with cats? Worth it, or are the power gains negligible for a NA car?
  • I’m leaning towards the JLT Tune combo, which would be the best for the money? I really would like one that offers the SCT X4. Is the 45hp gain realistic in this one.
  • Does the custom tune help with throttle response (drive by wire)? Should PedalMax be integrated as well as a tune?
  • Would the Ford PP2 be a better option, and does it allow for LTH if I go that route?
  • Can a man buy a nice suspension kit that doesn’t lower the car? I really don’t wanna be draggin...I like the stock ride height. Again is this even necessary for a PP car that doesn’t hit the Dragon often?
  • For wheels, I’m sold on the P51s, thinking 19x10 up front with 19x11 in the rear. Will a 305 fit in the rear? I assume a 275 or 285 will fit up front?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Howdy all, this is my first post on this forum (longtime member on SVTP, and others). Been posting over there for a while and it seems like there is a little more focused attention on the S550 here, wonder why? Anyways...

So I have 2017 GT Manual with Performance Pack. I bought the car about 18 months ago with 6500 miles on it, now has 7700. Since I've owned it I was under the impression that it just had a Roush Axle-Back, but I always thought it was awful loud for that so I got under it recently and discovered it's the full Cat-Back (w/xpipe), now the volume makes sense. Otherwise, no performance mods beside a shifter.

All that said I've been saving up some cash in anticipation of the Black Friday sales this year for some mods. So the question is, how would you mod this car with a budget of 5k or less? The car is NOT a DD and never sees the dragstrip. However, I cannot rule it out on occasion, as well as perhaps an autocross session.

Below are the options I'm considering (car is out of warranty)...
  • Bolt Ons (will these make a substantial difference?)
    • Headers
    • CAI, Tune (93 octane, no E85)
    • Unsure about 18 mani...everything I've seen says the stock mani outperforms the 18 mani below 6500 rpm, especially torque. Since this is a street car.....
  • Forced Induction (I know this will...lol)
    • Used S/C kit (obvious choice)
      • PD Blower - Prefer VMP or Roush due to price
      • Centri - Car has 3.73 gears (not changing) so would a centri be a better choice?
    • Used Turbo kit (very enticing...)
      • Most likely the Hellion Street Sleeper kit (may even splurge for a new one), what about the On3 kit?
My ideal power level is 500-550whp, which the Bolt Ons won't reach, and the FI options way exceed. I just can't justify spending 7k for a FI setup, with me installing it, thus why I'm looking into a nice used kit. I've bought a used S/C before and it worked out well, Novi2000 on a 2V car. On the FI option, I'm just concerned about reliability. My wife drives the car quite often and I don't want it so crazy that I'm worried about her getting stranded somewhere. Not to mention also concerned about that MT82, the clutch, the halfshafts, etc. Probably safe there as long as I don't put on sticky tires. What about the OPGs, I see folks replacing them, is that mandatory at a certain power level? Been down that road twice with my 2V...

Any input you can provide would be super helpful. Just not sure what's safe and what's not on these Gen2 Coyotes.
I'd probably do the following mods, all at the same time:

Long tube headers
Cold air intake
Ported '18 manifold and throttle body (ported GT350 intake manifold is quicker, but doesn't make more peak power - just better average hp at the top of the rpm band)
Tune
Lightweight wheels (i.e., SVE R355 or R350) (9 lbs lighter per wheel makes less parasitic loss = more power at the wheels)

The total should run you well under $5k. That won't get you to 500 rwhp in a Gen 2, but it will be noticeably quicker than stock.

What would be your suggestions on wheels? I see you have the P51's which are nice. I assume pp2 wheels on the 18+ cars are heavy as well, I like the way they look, but don't wanna spend more money on additional boat anchors. Lol. Also on the 18 mani, is it worth losing the low/mid tq (according to the VMP intake shootout) ?
PP2 wheels are even heavier than PP1 wheels. For comparison, SVE R355 or R350 wheels are only 23-24 lbs. PP1 wheels are ~ 33 lbs each.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I agree with everything here. Lots to be said for taking corners at speed, I guess I’m just old school as I get a bigger thrill out of pure acceleration as opposed to lateral acceleration. Corners are fun and I love that too, but I wanna be able to stomp it and it pull like a mutha. Probably a little spoiled with past S/C cars (termi and 17psi Novi on a 2V). My car as it is does pull good, I just feel like I’d like a little more. I’ve had 550whp in the past and I thought it was about perfect. All that said, I realize you can’t have it all, especially if budget and reliability are a concern. Which is why if I could get to 450whp NA (within reason on budget) I’d just do that and then work on wheels, tires, etc.

So, to put a bow on this...
  • What are the opinions on LTH with cats? Worth it, or are the power gains negligible for a NA car?
  • I’m leaning towards the JLT Tune combo, which would be the best for the money? I really would like one that offers the SCT X4. Is the 45hp gain realistic in this one.
  • Does the custom tune help with throttle response (drive by wire)? Should PedalMax be integrated as well as a tune?
  • Would the Ford PP2 be a better option, and does it allow for LTH if I go that route?
  • Can a man buy a nice suspension kit that doesn’t lower the car? I really don’t wanna be draggin...I like the stock ride height. Again is this even necessary for a PP car that doesn’t hit the Dragon often?
  • For wheels, I’m sold on the P51s, thinking 19x10 up front with 19x11 in the rear. Will a 305 fit in the rear? I assume a 275 or 285 will fit up front?
Keep in mind tire weight (rotational mass far from the center of the wheel) and width adding to rolling resistance. Getting a lighter wheel then putting a bigger, heavier tire on it is counter productive. The tire affects rotational inertia even more than the wheel since ALL of its weight is far from the center of the tire. You don't really need very wide tires up front unless you're tracking it. Michelin has tire weight for every size on their website. I wouldn't go 285 up front - 265s should be more than adequate and weigh about the same as the 255s. Same thing in back - consider weight but I understand the extra width may help traction -- unless you go with a smaller diameter tire then you'll have less traction than a slightly narrower but taller tire. This is because the longer patch length on the taller tire adds square inches to the contact patch.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
This is everything I can think of that I did to mine so far. In all honesty, short of a MGW shifter and boost down the line, I am content and done with any kind of performance mods.

Corsa LTH w/out cats
Corsa Sport catback
18 manifold (non-ported for now)
JLT 110mm intake (would get the 120mm 18+ style if buying new, I just had this one from before).
JLT catch can (optional for sure)
52lb injectors (for E85, which you won't need)
Lund Tune with Ngauge (Flex and E85R is what I have) Get the SCT so you aren't locked into one tuner.
SVE 350 wheels 19x10/19x11 (I am not a fan of these wheels. Whatever finish they use sucks. Mine are pealing around the center cap, I also have two wheels with pieces that broke off from rocks/gravel. So buyer beware, you get what you pay for).
Indy 500 tires (great tires) 285/35/19 and 325/30/19
FRPP shocks and struts
BMR 4 point brace for front subframe (this part is kinda overkill, it is currently sitting in my garage debating if I reinstall or not)
BMR Handling springs
BMR cradle lockout in back
Steeda roll center and bumpsteer kit
Steeda shock mounts
Steeda Clutch spring
Spacity throttle spacers (was a cheap 20 dollar thing I got, definitely optional)
Reische 170 thermostat
Whiteline trans mount insert (not installed yet)

5k should do something similar, with the biggest chunk being on wheels. IMO, the catless long tubes gave the biggest increase in noticeable power. 18 manifold helps up top, but the LTH help everywhere.
Sponsored