Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
Is there a way with forescan to check the car's current software for the transmission and do we know what the current software is?
Sponsored

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
So, here is my experience so far with the A10.

so first and foremost this is an awesome transmission. Itā€™s a disservice to this transmission that it is under filled from the factory or even the factory tune is lackluster as well. Mine has been tuned from Juggernaut Performance.
Anyhow I serviced my transmission at 64k. I checked my fluid level at 23k. It was low, itā€™s a MY 19. I serviced it with Valvoline ULV, equivalent to Fordā€™s factory fill along with the filter. In addition I used a an outstanding shift kit that replaces all the transmissions internals/ components with stiffer springs and lubrication balls. The valve body has to be slightly modified. Iā€™ll post the link for that shift kit. It shifts almost like a manual in automatic mode, the paddles provide instantaneous upshifts/ downshifts.

Upon installation of the shift kit, I most definitely had to initiate a relearn process via myBDX device as well as follow the relearn process that has been outlined by Ford.

I am blown away how this transmission shifts, very smooth, but can be very aggressive when called upon.

The shift kit:
https://transend.us/products/681155/details

Last edited:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Is there a way with forescan to check the car's current software for the transmission and do we know what the current software is?
Good question. I looked at the TSB (itā€™s a few pages back in this thread) and I didnā€™t see a software version listed. My guess is youā€™d have to get it from the service department at a dealer

313_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yousef
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT
My cars at the dealer currently because it shifts harsh from 3-4 and especially 7-8 at all trans temperatures. It also takes 3 full seconds to go into reverse when its cold. I will update when the car gets diagnosed next week and the dealer tells me what's next. if anyone experienced anything similar, what was the problem and how was it resolved.

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
I have posted on this thread a lot in the past for my problems - harsh downshifts. Had the valve body reworked. This helped a little. But I still cannot use the word smooth to describe this transmission. The Ford techs form the two different dealers say everything is in spec and behaving perfectly normal and this is just they way these transmissions are. Whatever, I have given up on Ford fixing the problem.

So lets try something a little different. Is there anything I can buy or do to my car that will smooth out those downshifts while retaining my warranty? Once the warranty is up - I will be getting a tune for the transmission - hoping this will make things better.

But as it stands, I am still very unhappy with this transmission.

Sponsored

SnakeMaster16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
So, here is my experience so far with the A10.

so first and foremost this is an awesome transmission. Itā€™s a disservice to this transmission that it is under filled from the factory or even the factory tune is lackluster as well. Mine has been tuned from Juggernaut Performance.
Anyhow I serviced my transmission at 64k. I checked my fluid level at 23k. It was low, itā€™s a MY 19. I serviced it with Valvoline ULV, equivalent to Fordā€™s factory fill along with the filter. In addition I used a an outstanding shift kit that replaces all the transmissions internals/ components with stiffer springs and lubrication balls. The valve body has to be slightly modified. Iā€™ll post the link for that shift kit. It shifts almost like a manual in automatic mode, the paddles provide instantaneous upshifts/ downshifts.

Upon installation of the shift kit, I most definitely had to initiate a relearn process via myBDX device as well as follow the relearn process that has been outlined by Ford.

I am blown away how this transmission shifts, very smooth, but can be very aggressive when called upon.

The shift kit:
https://transend.us/products/681155/details
Can this kit be put on without having to do a new tune? I have the Ford Performance calibration and would love to keep it if this kit a simple bolt on.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I did not see it in the "facts" listing, but maybe I am blind, and my google foo is crap.
Is there a listing of gearing ratios for each gear.
Are all the units the same in a s550 no matter if a turbo 4 or a v8 or are they still in bean counter land of base car gets weaker internals or are all the guts the same no matter what engine is in front of it originally.
I'm at page 1, so I have some reading to do, but thought I would ask.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
I did not see it in the "facts" listing, but maybe I am blind, and my google foo is crap.
Are all the units the same in a s550 no matter if a turbo 4 or a v8 or are they still in bean counter land of base car gets weaker internals or are all the guts the same no matter what engine is in front of it originally.
See attached. This came from my 2023 car manual.

1675615621809.png

1675615820833.png

Last edited:

Bullit69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Manny
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Can this kit be put on without having to do a new tune? I have the Ford Performance calibration and would love to keep it if this kit a simple bolt on.
it may compliment the tune or it may need an adjustment. If that makes sense. When I installed the kit, I did not change my tune from Juggernaut Performance. Initially I had a bit of rough shifting for a few days, then the tranny learned itā€™s new components.
You must initiate a new learning sequence, wait a few days for the tranny to learn its new components and your gold !!
I have been thoroughly impressed with this kit, it increases the torque converters clamping force by 18%, improves lubrication with the larger ball bearing supplied and the valve body has to be drilled out as well, with the drill bit is supplied in the kit. I had my dealership install the kit.
Car behaves like a manual transmission, you can feel the firmness and additional clamping force from the kit. Total awesome!!

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Mine recently sat for a week. I bought a 2012 4x4 F150 to run the 45 miles back and forth to work every day because it is dirty at work. Fired it up, and it didn't drive well at all. Shifting was weird even in normal, amongst some other odd things. It felt like it forgot I like to drive like a bat out of hell. About halfway into my 30 min drive I threw it into S+ and just gave it some hell. By the end of the drive, and around town all weekend afterr that, it behaved nicely.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here ya go, from Post 1, Page 1, about 1/2 way down the page:

EDIT August 2021 (10R80 gear ratios):
10R80 gear ratios from 2018-2021:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...1st-time-10r80-gear-ratios-are-listed.159312/

šŸ˜
That's all I had of the time for the internal 10R80 gearing, unless something has changed drastically in last 2 model years.

313_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yousef
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT
My cars at the dealer currently because it shifts harsh from 3-4 and especially 7-8 at all trans temperatures. It also takes 3 full seconds to go into reverse when its cold. I will update when the car gets diagnosed next week and the dealer tells me what's next. if anyone experienced anything similar, what was the problem and how was it resolved.
Just to update, the dealer updated the software for the transmission and cleared the memory for the adaptive trans. That did the trick for about 5 miles. Now I'm back to the rough 3-4 and 7-8 shifts. They said the trans fluid level was fine.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Mine is hit and miss and I cannot figure out anything consistently. It does not matter if the temp is hot or cold. Sometimes the 4/3 downshift is seamless and others itā€™s harsh. In Sport+ mode it seems to be worse but Iā€™m still trying to log miles and see if it improves. I have 0 trust with my dealer and am considering paying a transmission shop to check the fluid level if I can find a good one. I donā€™t feel like putting it up on jack stands and burning my hands while laying on my back. I would have 10 years ago but no longer.

$125 to check the fluid at an Indy shop, I guess thatā€™s about right with getting it up to temp and on the lift. Now the dilemma because the Indy shop cannot update the software.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just to update, the dealer updated the software for the transmission and cleared the memory for the adaptive trans. That did the trick for about 5 miles. Now I'm back to the rough 3-4 and 7-8 shifts. They said the trans fluid level was fine.
I'm wondering if some of these Dealerships are even checking the 10R80 trans fluid at all - and just blowing smoke up S550 10R80 owners asses because they KNIOW it's royal PIA to even check the trans fluid on these 10R80's.

If it were me and I asked the Service Center to check the 10R80 fluid level, I'd also ask for proof. Ask for photos or short vid of them checking it on the lift when car is up to OP TEMPS (because the fluid shouldn't be checked when cold) - and an image of the actual dipstick displaying proper fill level.

The 10R80 fill/check/dipstick procedures and info is in Post 1, Page 1 of this very thread.

My bet is - some of these Service Centers either are not checking at all, or they're not checking at proper Op Temp or they're not looking at the proper Shop Manual dipstick fill level images for a S550 as opposed to another Ford product... because the dipstick level readings and physical markings on them vary between product lines.

If it's not a fluid level issue, the software has been updated to the most current TSB, the 10R80 relearn procedure has been done properly by the Tech... then a faulty valve body will produce higher than normal line pressure, causing harsher shift points and engagement.

It's a real shame that 10R80's are still being found low on fluid after Ford assembly and Dealer PDI... You would think that after 3 years after the rollout of the S550 10R80, low fluid concerns wouldn't even exist.

All I can say is, if folks aren't getting satisfaction at their local Service Centers, call the Ford 800# and complain/open a Case with a Regional Rep. or try to go to another Ford Service Center within reason of your existing one.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if some of these Dealerships are even checking the 10R80 trans fluid at all - and just blowing smoke up S550 10R80 owners asses because they KNIOW it's royal PIA to even check the trans fluid on these 10R80's.

If it were me and I asked the Service Center to check the 10R80 fluid level, I'd also ask for proof. Ask for photos or short vid of them checking it on the lift when car is up to OP TEMPS (because the fluid shouldn't be checked when cold) - and an image of the actual dipstick displaying proper fill level.

The 10R80 fill/check/dipstick procedures and info is in Post 1, Page 1 of this very thread.

My bet is - some of these Service Centers either are not checking at all, or they're not checking at proper Op Temp or they're not looking at the proper Shop Manual dipstick fill level images for a S550 as opposed to another Ford product... because the dipstick level readings and physical markings on them vary between product lines.

If it's not a fluid level issue, the software has been updated to the most current TSB, the 10R80 relearn procedure has been done properly by the Tech... then a faulty valve body will produce higher than normal line pressure, causing harsher shift points and engagement.

It's a real shame that 10R80's are still being found low on fluid after Ford assembly and Dealer PDI... You would think that after 3 years after the rollout of the S550 10R80, low fluid concerns wouldn't even exist.

All I can say is, if folks aren't getting satisfaction at their local Service Centers, call the Ford 800# and complain/open a Case with a Regional Rep. or try to go to another Ford Service Center within reason of your existing one.
Dealerships suck in general and do more harm than good IMO. This is why I do all my own service for the most part.
I see the steps to do this but no video. Has anyone found a video?
Sponsored