Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Lol. Mine did the random 4500 rpm trans stall for 2-3 seconds driving down the road @ 20-25 mph. Talk about ass puckering….
Sponsored

codereddew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Lol. Mine did the random 4500 rpm trans stall for 2-3 seconds driving down the road @ 20-25 mph. Talk about ass puckering….
was it in drag mode by chance?

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Ok, I have yet to read this entire post, but here is my short story..

I built a 2020 Mustang ecoboost auto for road racing. I chose the auto; I was looking for a transmission that would allow me to stay in boost all the time vs shifting a manual tranny and falling out of boost all the time. I knew it could have heat issues, but I figured with only 350hp ecoboost, it would be fine.

Got on track last year, everything was fine at first but then it started overheating and acting super weird, slipping, missing gears, etc. We also had some fluid coming out of what we think is the vent hole. The problem started happening at lower and lower temps.

We opened the transmission over the winter and everything looked fine (not sure the tech was qualified to REALLY inspect everything), and we changed the clutches to the Raybestos HD ones just in case they were the problem, but how could they be with my lever of power?!

At the same time, I upgraded the cooling (heat exchanger, large PPE oil pan, radiator ducting, etc). Went back on track and the heat thing seems to be under control, never got above 103c. But now it does the same thing at even lower temps, under 100c (212f).

I am suspecting the TC is now the problem. Is it possible it overheated and now acts up at even lower temps? Could an upgraded TC help me? Like Circle D or Suncoast... I want to be able to run 1hr races with no problem.

Should I just give up and go manual?! That would be sad...

Mustang.jpg
When my trans went out ( after the 3rd engine) at 680ish wheel...we rebuild it and valvebody went out...then the stock TC took everything out again..never went to strip once rebuilt...

3 engines and 2.5 trans, 5 strip passes on treadwear 100 tires in over 2 years with only 7k on the clock...had to call it....

When talking to builders and the clutch supplier he said they were going at everything from stock to FBO e85...but around 700whp and really driving it, even on the street it's borrowed time...the TC issue is why the Mach 1 uses a newer larger unit...the way these trans use the TC its another clutch it's engaged from 2nd gear on...then off and on in MS at wot ect....
Strong trans on hard parts terrible clutch surface area and out of room to add more...we machined it ect...

Clutch makers said similar to manuals at a point the thicker and Stronger they go on material the clunkier it will be....really need some more room for clutch area in those 6 groups....and user replaceable shift solenoids ( 6) so you dont have to do an expensive $1000 valvebody needing a ford tech with IDC to marry it to your PCM along with the diagnostic and hour fee they charge....

On the tire size, I had HPtuners but what I did notice is if your run different diameter front to rear your asking for trouble, unless you remove the abs module known as the "dyno plug". This should be a good test...I ended up wiring a switch the sunglasses cubby to be able to bypass it at will as even with advanced trac OFF...it would think im spinning at 90mph and lean the engine out purposely as a means of traction control at full boost and rpm, with it IN....out solved all shifts, timing pulls, throttle shuts, and enleanment....then I was only left with mechanical deficiencies.....

On heat that built in thermostat needs to be over come...trans builder showed me some similar designs they have kits for they use to get better cooling on other trans even high torque beefed up diesel trans...not available for ours...but he said it needs it, as it will recirculate what's in the pan till its warm enough to open that, countering all downstream efforts to cool it, and is a flow inhibitor vs some of the molded units for other trans...its one of the reasons level is so critical it's recycling only what is in the pan for a LONG time nothing is getting sent out and back again...

There has actually, when you have to start getting Ford selective parts for it you notice, been 3 revisions of this trans and now with the Mach 1.....4....it will be interesting to see how they shift and hold up...

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
has anyone tried this? Does it fit 2018+ 10r80 mustang?

C&R Auto Trans Cooler Mustang GT 2015-2016

43-00000-CRR.jpg
I was looking at that, and yes the website says 15-19 model years. I have not tried it yet, but looks to be decently sized.

I should ask though, are you having heating issues with the stock unit? I read all these horror stories about the 10R overheating on track, but I found it to stay rather cool. Maybe it's just my driving, but the most I've seen is 208-210* temps even after 20 full minutes. Everything else got hot af, but the trans leveled off.

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Another thing I'd like to add, and this is no fanboy crap...
When I was researching all my trans issues and going thru THAT agony after getting the 3rd engine to live, I discovered a lot of similarity to the Dodge 8 speeds...
The Dodge ZF8HP70/75 ( RT, Truck, 1320, Scat) and ZF8HP90 ( Hellcats basically our 10r80s with Raybestos from factory for sake of brevity) share the same planetaries...same count and same teeth....also the same gear ratios except one below OD ( done with the clutch groupings of the 10r80) and 1 more OD gear ( iirc it's 6th and 9th)....

Let me tell you this first I miss my Mustang terribly and still hope it's figured out eventually.....but after 2 years messing with BS...on the trans front ( and honestly quietness of engine is astounding too so far at 10k miles more than I got in 2 years of my 2019 A10 Premium GT), you cannot even believe how polished out this ZF8HP75 is...
I mean its SO night and day, you literally can't even tell it's shifting, I got a 2021 model so its first year with heads up display and 75% of the time I have to see the gear change there to know it did....no hunting no searching...precise downshifting and smooth as silk upshifting....no slipping when cold from R to D...nothing I mean its literally perfection....same 1st thru 5th gears IIRC, id have to look again...but that extra gear before 7th on the 10r80 ( 7th is 1 to 1 on the 10r80) could definitely help in ET...guys you don't even know how bad these 10r80s are until you experience this....its just like the guys whom have a tighter gen 3 engine can't possibly fathom how loud, like onerous insanely loud a lot are ( my 1st engine was insane loud, both replacements after the may 2019 revision aka the 2020 model long block, were more quite but my 3rd one was silent you could then literally hear the injectors, its why people think your going on about nothing, they probably have a tight one and no idea how obnoxious some can be)...
Anyway I found it interesting how they use the same planetaries and several of the same gear ratios but with vastly superior polish on it for the user.....
Yes I do know Hemi MDS and exhaust manifolds can cause ticks later, I put extended warranty on it and I'm sure it will outlast my heart.......

However I keep my eye out cause after this used market bubble burst with a few more years of development not sure, I won't return...im tall and fat but my mustang weirdly is still the most comfortable I ever sat in, was viciously fast and fun when it worked....wife had a stroke and I just could justify a 3rd trans or another engine failure even the downtime not just money....had to get something more reliable to take her and the grandma by around to appointments in....

So don't take it as this is better neener neener, but as a do yourself a favor don't go drive any 2021 Dodge stuff with an 8 speed, you will be even more discouraged about the 10r80, albeit also slower than the 10r80 hehe..

Good luck everyone, I miss those 7500 rpm video game quick shifts....

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That C&R looks very similar to the OEM...
It is a direct fit reusing all the existing lines, but seems a bit bigger. I think it sits almost flush with the top of the radiator, instead of the stock unit that ends 4-5" below that. So it takes up some unused real estate above.

470505_EA3F1AAA.jpg

470504_BBA6ED56.jpg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
It is a direct fit reusing all the existing lines, but seems a bit bigger. I think it sits almost flush with the top of the radiator, instead of the stock unit that ends 4-5" below that. So it takes up some unused real estate above.

470505_EA3F1AAA.jpg

470504_BBA6ED56.jpg
Mmm. I don't know.
Btw. It is mou ted in from of the AC so not really a plug and play.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Mmm. I don't know.
Btw. It is mou ted in from of the AC so not really a plug and play.
Why do you say it's mounted in front of the AC? The picture above (albeit not mine, but the only one I could find) shows that the brick mounts directly to the radiator using the same bolt hole as the original cooler. And on the other end, there's that little ear that goes into the slot built into the radiator?

Also you can clearly see the 2 OEM lines that hook up to the OEM cooler, those are hard lines so they don't reach all the way in front of the condensor?

1622755312862.png

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Isn't the cooler behind, the AC CONDENCER?sorry driving so not seeing well the pic

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Isn't the cooler behind, the AC CONDENCER?sorry driving so not seeing well the pic
Yes, but in that pic I assume the condenser was removed or swung out of the way, that's why you have such a straight shot to the brick.

Rocketeer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A PP
The thing was shifting like a dream then I started noticing a sound that I can only describe as bicycle chain slacking and hitting solid boundary when upshifting car was cold, the sound would go away after hardware warmed up. Then within a 5-day window it went from shifting harshly to slipping to no gear available and limp home mode. Just got it back from dealer, see their writeup bellow. They wouldn't put official cause in writing and ford wouldn't hassle them to check for abuse/mods (I don't have any), but the trans dept foreman verbally hinted that it wasn't the first one like that this year and being early MY 2019 it was probably due to low fluid level from day one. This doesn't make sense - I'd imagine it would hunt for gears or clunk if underfilled for the 2,5 years I had.

20210604_113123.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Update June 2021:
Great article from Gears Magazine about the internals and shifting characteristics of the 10R80. I recommend that ALL 10R80 owners read the article.

I have also added this to Post # 1 and have attached it here too in PDF format.

It's called "The More You Know About the 10R80, The Better Off You Are!".

Attachments

ChuckBilodeau

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Race car.
Guys!
1- My transmission was overfilled, I adjusted the oil level to the specs.
2- I fitted the Huge 2015 Mishimoto trans cooler. I had to modify the lower inlet hoses as the were hitting the upsized intercooler. Not sure if it would be a problem on a car with a OEM intercooler of the V8 which obviously has none.

Tested it yesterday and it worked perfectly although it was cool outside (less than 70f), the trans never went higher than 200 and hovered at 185f approx. I have the large oil pan also.

cooler 2.jpg

cooler 3.jpg

cooler 4.jpg

cooler 6.jpg

trans 1.jpg
Sponsored