Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Anyone have an idea if the tendency towards rough shifts in the A10 is a mechanical design issue, or a software/firmware issue?

GM also uses the A10, and I don't see as many complaints from those owners. But I know GM does its own programming for the transmission.
Some of the shifting issues can be tied back to:
1) Low trans fluid level; many have checked their trans fluid level and have found that the transmissions are being installed at Ford with low fluid. This info is in first page of these thread with links and how to check.

2) Software reflash; some have claimed a simple software reflash has solved the shifting issues, while others have had it done and there’s little to no improvement.

3) Valve body failure. Most common for harsh shifts and why just a “reflash” will NOT work. See first page of this thread for more info and other links.

4) Internal clutch failure; worst failure and there has not been any correlation yet that the low fluid and failing valve bodies has attributed to this type of failure. It’s quite possible it’s just inferior parts or QC issue from when trans was assembled by the contracted vendor. Again this is on the first page with links discussing this failure.

The 10R80 issues is not affecting every S550. Plus the trans is mass produced, there’s bound to be some failures or issues.

I would suggest to anyone who has had a software reflash and the trans is still shifting bad to bring it back to the dealer and take the Shop Foreman on a drive to demo the exact issues. I would also ask them to check the valve body line pressures. A failing valve body will exhibit extremeLy higher than normal line pressures (above Ford spec). A software refash cannot fix a faulty, failing or damaged valve body.
Sponsored

ALLKHEINZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ill give everyone some FACTS!

10R80, cannot hold any kinda power over 800 HP, Some Transmission Guru needs to figure this shit out....when your 1:1 gear cant hold on the dyno because its weak sauce you know its not gonna be a good outcome...

Tiago G.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT
Some of the shifting issues can be tied back to:
1) Low trans fluid level; many have checked their trans fluid level and have found that the transmissions are being installed at Ford with low fluid. This info is in first page of these thread with links and how to check.

2) Software reflash; some have claimed a simple software reflash has solved the shifting issues, while others have had it done and there’s little to no improvement.

3) Valve body failure. Most common for harsh shifts and why just a “reflash” will NOT work. See first page of this thread for more info and other links.

4) Internal clutch failure; worst failure and there has not been any correlation yet that the low fluid and failing valve bodies has attributed to this type of failure. It’s quite possible it’s just inferior parts or QC issue from when trans was assembled by the contracted vendor. Again this is on the first page with links discussing this failure.

The 10R80 issues is not affecting every S550. Plus the trans is mass produced, there’s bound to be some failures or issues.

I would suggest to anyone who has had a software reflash and the trans is still shifting bad to bring it back to the dealer and take the Shop Foreman on a drive to demo the exact issues. I would also ask them to check the valve body line pressures. A failing valve body will exhibit extremeLy higher than normal line pressures (above Ford spec). A software refash cannot fix a faulty, failing or damaged valve body.
What a nightmare!!!

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
Agree with everyone having trouble with the A10. I have 36,000 miles on my 2018 GT and I just plain hate driving it now. The transmission in normal (D) drives like crap. With the shifter in D, gear change from 3-5 it seems as if the converter cant make up its mind to lock so it feels like its slipping. The feeling is so sloppy and does not feel like a healthy transmission. If driven in S, S+ or manual paddle shifting mode, 2-3 is such a odd shift it seems like a rubber band affect when the car shifts. 4-5 shift is so harsh it seems as if the transmission will break and fall out the car! Downshift into 5 and 3 is so bad that just the other day the rear wheels locked for for a split second on 4-3 shift. It was scary.

Ford claims it all to be "normal" GTFO with that BS. Just admit that Ford does not want to fix the issue. At least I will stop wasting my time at different dealers jerking me around.

First and last Ford for me.
I bought a used 2020 eco-boost and the automatic was behaving pretty badly. The worst thing was extremely harsh engagement from park to reverse at times. Also rough downshift. Sport mode was terrible with extremely jerky shifts. The dealer reflash the transmission and updated the software and when I left there it was working nearly flawlessly, but after a couple of weeks it’s sort of drifted back to somewhat worse again, but not as bad as when I took it in. I would guess this indicates it’s more a software problem then a mechanical problem. You would think after making this transmission for three years Ford would have figured it out. I’m really disgusted with the transmission in this thing, and I would have to say it’s probably the worst behaved automatic I’ve ever had out of about 25 vehicles in my life. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with an eight speed automatic and a V-6, and the shifts are so smooth that I very rarely even notice them. I also traded in a 2014 Mustang V6 with the six speed automatic and it worked extremely well all the time too. This 10 speed thing is a beast of a different color.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I bought a used 2020 eco-boost and the automatic was behaving pretty badly. The worst thing was extremely harsh engagement from park to reverse at times. Also rough downshift. Sport mode was terrible with extremely jerky shifts. The dealer reflash the transmission and updated the software and when I left there it was working nearly flawlessly, but after a couple of weeks it’s sort of drifted back to somewhat worse again, but not as bad as when I took it in. I would guess this indicates it’s more a software problem then a mechanical problem. You would think after making this transmission for three years Ford would have figured it out. I’m really disgusted with the transmission in this thing, and I would have to say it’s probably the worst behaved automatic I’ve ever had out of about 25 vehicles in my life. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with an eight speed automatic and a V-6, and the shifts are so smooth that I very rarely even notice them. I also traded in a 2014 Mustang V6 with the six speed automatic and it worked extremely well all the time too. This 10 speed thing is a beast of a different color.
That is sad to hear. I am thinking of going with a good aftermarket tune and just be done with it. At this point driving the car is no fun at all. Even regular daily driving sucks because the transmission is herky jerky in upshifts and downshifts. It was not like this when the car was new but got progressively bad as time went by and Ford dealerships are not helpful at all.

Sponsored

Dawgvet06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1
I was hit with the one way clutch failure in January (2018 GT). Total trans rebuild - car was down for a full month. Since then, aside from a misfire issue (took 3 trips to the dealership to figure out it was a damaged O2 sensor o-ring causing water to leak into the sensor and corrode the pins - likely happened during the trans rebuld), I've had to basically relearn how to drive the car. The A-10 is very moody. It shifts harsh when cold. Even when the trans is up to a reasonable temp (150 or higher), it occasionally will act a little off depending on driving conditions (around Atlanta that could be full speed or gridlock). Unfortunately, I think this is normal for the 10r80.

I've decided that with my driving habits, I really can't get the most out of the car. The most fun I have in it is putting the exhaust in track mode driving home from work, but that's only a 5-mile drive. The trans barely hits 150 F on my drive home (and that's on a 90+ degree summer afternoon in Georgia), and I won't even put it in sport mode if it's under 150.

This Mustang is my first, and with two issues this year and barely 9000 miles on it since I got it in April 2018, I'm seriously looking at getting rid of it. It's just not a good fit for me as a driver, and it's a shame because I love and appreciate cars and their history so much - I lived outside Detroit as an adult for 7 years, and the car museums, history, and especially Woodward Dream Cruise (or just cruising Woodward near 13-Mile in the summertime) was amazing. My dad had a 65 Fastback when he was a teenager, and when I got my 18 GT it was really cool to take him for a ride for the first time. It's just been downhill since then.

Jim

cipherzero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 A10 PP1 GT
Interesting to see I'm not alone. With all the raves and reviews from "The A10 is amazing, much better than A6". Maybe I'm weird but I miss my 2017 GT, trans just felt better in all conditions, even if it was "slower". I cannot exclaim enough how frustrating the 1-2 or 1-3 shift is, it sounds awful with the trans whine as it slips and takes an eternity to actually shift.

Then there's the harsh and random thunking on downshift/upshift. I used sport mode almost exclusively in my 2017 and loved it, in my current GT it makes the harshness worse so I almost never use it.

They have checked my fluid and reset the learning twice since ownership.

Alan2955

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost premium auto convertible standard suspension optional 19 inch wheels
Interesting to see I'm not alone. With all the raves and reviews from "The A10 is amazing, much better than A6". Maybe I'm weird but I miss my 2017 GT, trans just felt better in all conditions, even if it was "slower". I cannot exclaim enough how frustrating the 1-2 or 1-3 shift is, it sounds awful with the trans whine as it slips and takes an eternity to actually shift.

Then there's the harsh and random thunking on downshift/upshift. I used sport mode almost exclusively in my 2017 and loved it, in my current GT it makes the harshness worse so I almost never use it.

They have checked my fluid and reset the learning twice since ownership.
Not encouraging to hear. They reset mine about 3 weeks ago. At first it felt really good but after a few days it slowly got worse. Not nearly as bad as before but no prize either. I’ve had a couple of harsh reverse engagements, I’m feeling the downshifts a bit more again, and there’s usually a slight bump when it drops into first right before it stops. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with a 290 hp V6 and 8 speed automatic and none of this nonsense. My 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed automatic was much better too. It had a slight bump going into first, but otherwise pretty flawless. The 2020 looks much better inside and out, but the crappy transmission and rough ride on the 19 inch wheels isn’t very pleasing. I have a feeling it won’t be in my garage 5 years like the 2014 was.

Alponcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium
The 10L80 in my ‘18 ZL1 is a lot smoother, and smarter as compared to the one in my son’s ‘19 GT...the difference is most noticeable in sport mode, almost like two different transmissions. It’s not bad by any means, just not as good as the gm version. I test drove another ‘19 GT, and passed on it primarily because I thought there was something wrong with the transmission...much clunkier than my son’s.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The 10L80 in my ‘18 ZL1 is a lot smoother, and smarter as compared to the one in my son’s ‘19 GT...the difference is most noticeable in sport mode, almost like two different transmissions. It’s not bad by any means, just not as good as the gm version. I test drove another ‘19 GT, and passed on it primarily because I thought there was something wrong with the transmission...much clunkier than my son’s.
Since the hardware should basically be the same, I think it comes down to GM's programming for the transmission being better.

Sponsored

Alponcho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium
Since the hardware should basically be the same, I think it comes down to GM's programming for the transmission being better.
Yeah, that makes sense. There may be other differences as well...fluids, etc., who knows. It's too bad because the transmission is really very good in my ZL1, and in others I've driven.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Not encouraging to hear. They reset mine about 3 weeks ago. At first it felt really good but after a few days it slowly got worse. Not nearly as bad as before but no prize either. I’ve had a couple of harsh reverse engagements, I’m feeling the downshifts a bit more again, and there’s usually a slight bump when it drops into first right before it stops. I have a 2019 Toyota Highlander with a 290 hp V6 and 8 speed automatic and none of this nonsense. My 2014 Mustang V6 6 speed automatic was much better too. It had a slight bump going into first, but otherwise pretty flawless. The 2020 looks much better inside and out, but the crappy transmission and rough ride on the 19 inch wheels isn’t very pleasing. I have a feeling it won’t be in my garage 5 years like the 2014 was.
They replaced my transmission on my 2020 PP1. It helped some of the issues, but it still will sometimes downshift and make the most jarring abrupt clunk/pop that sounds like there has to be damage. It's like there is so much stress built up that releases with a vengeance into the lower gear. I guess this is the norm for the 10R80.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
A
Everything on this web site sounds pretty negative and hysterical to me - have you fellows been hanging around to many pregnant women lately - especially the BS about the DSS driveshaft so many folks have them with zero issues (baited from previous post) but some ninny will post they think they hear a rattle and all of a sudden all the folks that can't afford to replace their drive shaft will start screaming, bad product, waste of money - how about grow the F up ...!!!
Are you off your meds? You’ve posted this exact response in another thread to one of your own comments. Lol.

saiyangt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So, as an update - my issues have come back.
After the dealer did a reset on my adaptive learning (and even a PCM update) the issues came back after about a week, I just haven't had the time to post here since then. Honestly, at this point I'm seriously considering going with an aftermarket tune (saying f*ck it to my powertrain warranty) and seeing if that helps.

I'll give it a week or two after the tune and if the transmission's still acting weird, I'll sell the car.
I just can't deal with this transmission the way it is anymore.

On the bright side, my Ford dealer is great and they checked the fluid levels and checked for metal filings in the fluid - no issues. They also hooked up monitoring software to the car and found all the transmission behaviours up to code. This tells me that the issue is with the software, not mechanical. Which is good to know before I throw a tune on so I don't explode it in 2 days of driving.

I honestly just think that Ford's programming for the 10r80 is garbage, not the transmission itself.

Thegipper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
So, as an update - my issues have come back.
After the dealer did a reset on my adaptive learning (and even a PCM update) the issues came back after about a week, I just haven't had the time to post here since then. Honestly, at this point I'm seriously considering going with an aftermarket tune (saying f*ck it to my powertrain warranty) and seeing if that helps.

I'll give it a week or two after the tune and if the transmission's still acting weird, I'll sell the car.
I just can't deal with this transmission the way it is anymore.

On the bright side, my Ford dealer is great and they checked the fluid levels and checked for metal filings in the fluid - no issues. They also hooked up monitoring software to the car and found all the transmission behaviours up to code. This tells me that the issue is with the software, not mechanical. Which is good to know before I throw a tune on so I don't explode it in 2 days of driving.

I honestly just think that Ford's programming for the 10r80 is garbage, not the transmission itself.
I agree. My new transmission still clunks when it downshifts sometimes and hesitates when I floor it in higher gears.

GM seems to know how to implement the software better for this transmission.
Sponsored