Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Today, I went to visit the service. I drove the car with the transmission tech, and he says shifting is normal, he did not acknowledge harsh shifting. Jerk when going from P to R happened when we started the drive, and I pointed that out, but he did not say if it was normal or not. Somehow acknowledged it happened, but did not comment on it. Finally, he told me they will let me drive another 2018 or 2019 EcoBoost from the lot (to compare same transmissions), but when I came back to speak with advisor he said it will take a while to find a similar car on the lot, which I found weird, but there is not much I could do so I went home with my Mustang. I was promised they will drive a similar car and report it back to me. I would love if I have tried it as well, a bit disappointed about that. Not sure if I have more options left.

On the drive home, I drove in sports mode for a while, paddle shifting, playing with it, but normal driving, didn't beat it. And my transmission temperature went over 200F a bit, image attached. Is this ok? Is there a temperature over which I should be worried?

Thank you guys for the immense help and support with this issue. I am trying not to be pissed off, and believe me, I would be the happiest guy if they somehow prove to me everything is ok. But I am lacking communication and proper explanations, so I am losing trust in them and in my car. I just wanna enjoy it and not be worried I will be stranded somewhere.

IMG_3651.jpeg
Sponsored

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
On your service invoice - after the valve body replacement - did the tech do the trans relearn procedure? They have to do that step so the trans is not all jerky. Go to my first post in this thread, scroll down to the pic of my work order and you will see the tech notes for the valve body replacement - is your work order like that? If not, I’d be willing to bet they did not do the trans relearn procedure properly. Did they make note of reflashing the trans to the most current software revision after the valve body replacement?
Yep, I have your work order, I am trying to use it as a guide. Mine is very vague, see image at the bottom. Basically it says: "UP-DATE CALIBRATION AS NEEDED", I guess that should be current software? And then "ROAD TEST AFTER REPAIR TO RE-SET ADAPTIVE LEARN", I guess they just drove it a bit around. Maybe thats the reason of jerkiness, but well, they claim it is not jerky :|

IMG_3577.jpeg

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Today, I went to visit the service. I drove the car with the transmission tech, and he says shifting is normal, he did not acknowledge harsh shifting. Jerk when going from P to R happened when we started the drive, and I pointed that out, but he did not say if it was normal or not. Somehow acknowledged it happened, but did not comment on it. Finally, he told me they will let me drive another 2018 or 2019 EcoBoost from the lot (to compare same transmissions), but when I came back to speak with advisor he said it will take a while to find a similar car on the lot, which I found weird, but there is not much I could do so I went home with my Mustang. I was promised they will drive a similar car and report it back to me. I would love if I have tried it as well, a bit disappointed about that. Not sure if I have more options left.

On the drive home, I drove in sports mode for a while, paddle shifting, playing with it, but normal driving, didn't beat it. And my transmission temperature went over 200F a bit, image attached. Is this ok? Is there a temperature over which I should be worried?

Thank you guys for the immense help and support with this issue. I am trying not to be pissed off, and believe me, I would be the happiest guy if they somehow prove to me everything is ok. But I am lacking communication and proper explanations, so I am losing trust in them and in my car. I just wanna enjoy it and not be worried I will be stranded somewhere.

IMG_3651.jpeg
Dude, it is pretty normal a10 behavior you are describing. Also 200-205 is normal operating temps. You need to to either accept it or move on to another car. jmo.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
In S it feels like I got rear ended at times, especially at lower gears 2-3-4-5 ....
Honestly, my car in D, and Normal drive mode is pretty smooth now. It was a mess when I bought it. But after topping off the transmission fluid one vist, and resetting the KAM on a second visit. It drives pretty well now.
UNTIL.... I put it it S or change to S+, track, or drag modes.. then it's harsh, jerky, feels like I got rear ended.. just the other day I was in S. Slowing to a stop, and maybe 20 mph it shifts from 3 to 1. It was like we got a freaking brick wall.

I'm beginning to think if you use anything other than D, then it's normal for the transmission to act like a green horse you're trying to break in.. I'm debating on taking it back to the dealer.. complaining if harsh shifts and intermittent harsh reverse engagement and slipping when cold, for a third time now.. but I don't know.. kind of hard to say "works fine in D, but it's a shit show in any other mode" and them not look at you like your crazy..

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Dude, it is pretty normal a10 behavior you are describing. Also 200-205 is normal operating temps. You need to to either accept it or move on to another car. jmo.
No it isn't normal behavior.

To Flip. Did they actually reset the adaptive strategy? Its unclear to me based on the invoice. You can do this yourself if you have access to FORscan. I've walked multiple people how to do this. I too had rough engagement from park to either reverse and drive with erratic shifting at low speeds. However, once I cleared the adaptive strategy, the trans is now buttery smooth with no rough engagement nor erratic shifting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i believe there is also another part to do after clearing the KAM and adaptive learn tables. where you are supposed to drive the car on a level surface, and accelerate smoothly, maintaining a certain RPM through all gears, upto a certain speed, then you must brake gently to a stop, hold your foot on the brake for a few seconds, and repeat the process like 5 or 6 more times or something like that.. its pretty elaborate if i remember right

i have seen it briefly in some older shop manuals and such, dont recall the exact steps. the dealer also mentioned it to me last time i was there for them to look at the transmission. i dont really think its just as simple as clicking a couple menu options and hitting "reset" or pulling the battery cable for a few minutes like others have stated

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
i believe there is also another part to do after clearing the KAM and adaptive learn tables. where you are supposed to drive the car on a level surface, and accelerate smoothly, maintaining a certain RPM through all gears, upto a certain speed, then you must brake gently to a stop, hold your foot on the brake for a few seconds, and repeat the process like 5 or 6 more times or something like that.. its pretty elaborate if i remember right

i have seen it briefly in some older shop manuals and such, dont recall the exact steps. the dealer also mentioned it to me last time i was there for them to look at the transmission. i dont really think its just as simple as clicking a couple menu options and hitting "reset" or pulling the battery cable for a few minutes like others have stated

Yes sir you are correct. I think those procedures may also be in the owners manual...or some version of them assuming since the car is new. Honestly I didn't adhere to it. Just drove the car normally...and again, no issues since. So yes, it is that simple...at least in my case.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Damnnnnnnn!!!!
Your car would automatically shift from highway speed down to third out of nowhere?!?! That's insane! That's scary.

Looks like they did the updates and did the relearn, but it still seems off?

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
No it isn't normal behavior.

To Flip. Did they actually reset the adaptive strategy? Its unclear to me based on the invoice. You can do this yourself if you have access to FORscan. I've walked multiple people how to do this. I too had rough engagement from park to either reverse and drive with erratic shifting at low speeds. However, once I cleared the adaptive strategy, the trans is now buttery smooth with no rough engagement nor erratic shifting.
Service adviser told me they did, I asked specifically. But I am not sure if they did this 7 repeat procedure of re-learning I am hearing about. I wonder if I can make them do it again, properly...

Last edited:

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Honestly, my car in D, and Normal drive mode is pretty smooth now. It was a mess when I bought it. But after topping off the transmission fluid one vist, and resetting the KAM on a second visit. It drives pretty well now.
UNTIL.... I put it it S or change to S+, track, or drag modes.. then it's harsh, jerky, feels like I got rear ended.. just the other day I was in S. Slowing to a stop, and maybe 20 mph it shifts from 3 to 1. It was like we got a freaking brick wall.

I'm beginning to think if you use anything other than D, then it's normal for the transmission to act like a green horse you're trying to break in.. I'm debating on taking it back to the dealer.. complaining if harsh shifts and intermittent harsh reverse engagement and slipping when cold, for a third time now.. but I don't know.. kind of hard to say "works fine in D, but it's a shit show in any other mode" and them not look at you like your crazy..
Yep, sounds similar to mine. D is not battery smooth in my case but I could live with this, S is harsh. Let me know if this improves for you.

Sponsored

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Damnnnnnnn!!!!
Your car would automatically shift from highway speed down to third out of nowhere?!?! That's insane! That's scary.

Looks like they did the updates and did the relearn, but it still seems off?
That is the main reason I am stressed about this so much. It actually started as shifting from 10 to 8 and back unexpectedly when I was trying to maintain ~90mph on highway, I tried going slower 70-80mph to make it pick a gear but it was shifting between those two very hard like being rear ended heavily, it just couldn't decide. Finally, after 15mins of that it went to 3 and crazy RPMs so I went out of road. I could smell something burned but no smoke. Did not check the temps, stupid me, I was so pissed off. Towed it from there. After reading about it I am suspecting that I entered a limp mode but there was no lights on if I remember correctly.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
That is the main reason I am stressed about this so much. It actually started as shifting from 10 to 8 and back unexpectedly when I was trying to maintain ~90mph on highway, I tried going slower 70-80mph to make it pick a gear but it was shifting between those two very hard like being rear ended heavily, it just couldn't decide. Finally, after 15mins of that it went to 3 and crazy RPMs so I went out of road. I could smell something burned but no smoke. Did not check the temps, stupid me, I was so pissed off. Towed it from there. After reading about it I am suspecting that I entered a limp mode but there was no lights on if I remember correctly.
Wow, that is horrible. Very scary and horrible.
I hope they get it all figured out for you. Make sure you keep all your receipts and make a case with Ford, so it's all documented. Keep all emails and everything. Good luck!

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
Wow, that is horrible. Very scary and horrible.
I hope they get it all figured out for you. Make sure you keep all your receipts and make a case with Ford, so it's all documented. Keep all emails and everything. Good luck!
They changed the valve body to fix that, and lets hope they solved that problem. Now I have slightly harsh shifting in D, with which I can live, as long as I am assured my transmission is fine and I will not get that crazy issue again. But their communication with me is pretty bad, at least I feel like that.

saiyangt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hey all. Figured I'd tune in here as I've been having issues with my 2019 10R80 GT with 22,000 Kilometers (Canadian cars are not immune, unfortunately). In addition to occasionally harsh up+downshifts here and there, as well as harsh engagements/bucking from park-drive, or park-reverse, I am getting some issues that I have not seen addressed very commonly.

• When manually selecting gears, and if I downshift, the car will brake - sometimes HARD - before downshifting. It feels like I'm slamming on my brakes sometimes. Other times it's barely noticeable. It's not like I'm going for crazy aggressive shifts, either. Sometimes I just want to go from 2500 RPMs to ~4000 RPMs and the car feels like it applied the brakes with considerable force.
  • Usually upon cold start, and especially the very first time I put the car from park to drive in the morning, the first time I press the accelerator pedal and release it, the car will continue to accelerate for a full second after releasing the pedal. This has almost gotten me into accidents.
  • I notice that coming down to a stop slowly, I can feel the car downshifting. It is not a smooth transition and feels almost like I'm pulsing my brakes as Im slowing down, but I'm not.
  • About 20% of the time I go WOT I get a plastic-y burning smell.
Took the car to my dealer. Said they couldn't replicate the issue and that fluid levels were "good".
I had a suspicion that they never checked so I took it to an oil-change shop. Found fluid was about 1 quart low.
Took it back to the dealer and they admitted it was slightly low but only 0.3 quarts low (why didn't they fill the first time?).
I asked them to reset the adaptive learning but they never did.
I've learned that this dealer are sheissters and will be taking it for a second opinion at another dealer next week.

Anyone else experience any of these issues? Perhaps more importantly, anyone find out what the culprit was?

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Make sure they updated the PCM to the latest update. I had all of the issues you have (except the sudden downshift) and the PCM update fixed them all. It's been 3 months so far so good (knock on wood). To my knowledge they didn't even do the adaptive re-learning procedure.
Sponsored