Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Visit to second Ford service after contacting Ford and getting a regional service manager on my case:
They immediately said it feels harsh, and that it needs strategy update, updated it (and reset adaptive learning) the same day and gave me the car back. That was yesterday, car feels good so far, not buttery smooth but definitely better, so I will wait a bit to see if adaptive learning will make it even better.
I brought my car in a few days back for airbag fault and had them look at the trans also 10r80 22k miles I got it new for the last like 10k miles maybe more the 4-5 shift in sport or track could literally throw me out the windshield with the jerks it would do. Service advisor said he had his tech look at it and he’ll call me back. Service advisor said there’s an update for the trans. I got the car back today and it feels completely different. The 4-5 harshness is gone every shift is smooth like butter in every mode even the downshifts. Legit feels like a completely different transmission. Very happy with the results
Hopefully the software update fixes it for good.
Keep us posted!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I brought my car in a few days back for airbag fault and had them look at the trans also 10r80 22k miles I got it new for the last like 10k miles maybe more the 4-5 shift in sport or track could literally throw me out the windshield with the jerks it would do. Service advisor said he had his tech look at it and he’ll call me back. Service advisor said there’s an update for the trans. I got the car back today and it feels completely different. The 4-5 harshness is gone every shift is smooth like butter in every mode even the downshifts. Legit feels like a completely different transmission. Very happy with the results
@4leghorse
Just curious, on your Service Invoice, did the Tech list the trans strategy version, or anything at all about the update that you can post to help others?

I’m wondering if the 10R80 strategy has been revised since this thread was started - because I’m sure Ford has been receiving quite a bit of S550 Customer complaints regarding harsh or abnormal shifts.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hey all
I'd like to give you some update on my 10r80 situation
I track my a10. Pretty hard.
Lost already one. 7k miles
Replace with a new unit after clutch failure and torque comverter (TC) issues
Second trans i installed a huge 925 setrab cooler.
I lost a second trans at 15k miles.
All the clutches were in good shape except for one. (The biggest) with a mark on it.
That means the cooler is doing a gppd job in cooling down it.
But it keeps failing is..the torque converter.
The lock up clutch is built into the TC surface. And cannot be upgraded. Actually the only company offering some separated lovkup clutch TC is suncoast butnwe are talking about 3500$ ish. Absolutely not worth it.
Talked with the other major aftermarket brands (like circle D) and no one offers somenthing for roadcourse applications.
So here what we are doing for my 3rd( technically still second but rebuilt) tranny.
I want to keep the cooler working constantly. Right now ot starts to work at 190f. Too late for race aplications.
There is a solenoid connected to a spring acting like a thermostat. We want to rempve that spring.
Also I'll plan to mix some ULV fluid with UV. Still don't know exactly what percentuage. ThebULV becomes really thin at higher temps. We think a thicker oil can help the system.
Also upgrading clutches to mcleod reybestos.
This is my last tentative to keep the car able to push hard om track.
I don't want to give up because this is one of the fastest mustang in California tracks.
I just wondering how they plan to manage the heat with the MACH1. ...
I'll meep you posted.

20200819_115815.jpg

20200819_115616_HDR.jpg

20200819_115610_HDR.jpg

20200819_120027.jpg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
How much does it cost to keep replacing the transmission? I can't imagine Ford is footing the bill for track related damage. If they are, that's great. Otherwise, I'd think the $3500 would be worth it to upgrade the torque converter. If it makes the transmission survive a lot more miles, wouldn't the cost be justified? Or do you have a transmission tree in your backyard :giggle:
Ford..helps :)
Problem of TC is noone knows if this will work. Yes a separate lockup clutch will be helpful (so you can replace only that in case of failure)
Andnyes suncoast says "better and more efdicient fluid flowing '
But they design it for drag racing.
So they also have no clue.
I was thinking to install the f150 TC. Is bigger meaning bigger lockup clutch surface. But on the other hand the mass is bigger and i will loose acceleration. Which i cant.
So i think the best option i have on top of upgrading the clutches is keep it evem cooler with a continous flow to the trans cooler.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
@4leghorse
Just curious, on your Service Invoice, did the Tech list the trans strategy version, or anything at all about the update that you can post to help others?

I’m wondering if the 10R80 strategy has been revised since this thread was started - because I’m sure Ford has been receiving quite a bit of S550 Customer complaints regarding harsh or abnormal shifts.
I checked the invoice and there wasn't anything specific listed. No ford part number it just says its under warranty. Adviser just said there was an "update" for the trans. Idk maybe three is an actual update.... I know ford came out with the power pack for the 18+ and they have a new tune for the 10r80 and people have said that it smooths out the shifts, I don't think they put that on my car....

Sponsored

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hopefully the software update fixes it for good.
Keep us posted!
Still running good the 4th gear high rev the harsh shift to 5th is gone. Shifts in each gear are pretty good. Haven't been thrown around in the car due to shifts since I got it back. I was planning on Long tubes but im on the fence I don't really want a tune resemble anything like how the car was previously.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Let us know if it lasts. Mine rapidly went downhill again. Not as bad as before, but still the worst automatic I’ve ever driven or owned. Just for grins I drove another eco-boost and it shifted even worse than mine. And then yesterday I drove a used 2019 GT and the salesman even warned me that the transmission was a terrible mess on it, and shifted like hell. He was absolutely right. This is just utterly pathetic that Ford can’t get these things right. It’s starting to smell like a repeat of the Focus and Fiesta transmission fiascoes. I mean they’ve had three years to figure these transmissions out, and they are still a mess. Every time I drive this thing I just get pissed off about all the jerks and lunges .I think I’ll just dump it to Carvana when the convertible season is over, and wash my hands of it. It just reminds me why I haven’t bought a new Ford since 1999, and swore I would never buy another one after that one. Fortunately I didn’t this time either. At least since I bought it used I won’t lose my butt on it. There’s a reason why Ford keeps losing market share. It’s because they are in capable of building a quality product. My dealer just washes their hands of the transmission issues, and said that’s just how they are. So much for the Ford powertrain warranty right? What good is a warranty when the manufacturer doesn’t know how to fix it?
Damn lol I always had that feeling about carvana cars. Mine is still driving 10x better than before. Shifts feel much smoother. 4 to 5 gear doesn't feel like I got rear ended anymore. Hopefully it lasts next car I end up getting though will be a manual. I like the 10r80 but I feel like once my warranty is up its going to be pricey to fix anything if it goes south again (knock on wood). Might tune it and add headers before warranty is up idk the transmission is always in the back of my head. Love everything else about the car though.

4leghorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Was on wot for a minute in track mode and when I hit the brakes if I’m in like 7th gear it’ll downshift to 6th or 5th but the rpms just shoot up to like 5500 and stay there for a few seconds sounds weird and car just started doing it

Sponsored

Tonyp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hello Everyone,

I've been having this issue with my 2018 Mustang GT PP1 automatic. Sometimes when I'm driving, usually in sport mode, the car will start to shift erratically. Almost like the car doesn't know what gear its in and it will down shift multiple times while I'm pressing on the gas. It happened a few months ago while on the expressway and I had some light white smoke come out of the back. I had it towed since I thought it was something serious, no codes came up but I thought I would be safe. The dealer said there was nothing out of the ordinary and it was normal but there was some unidentified residue on the bottom of the car? I was driving it yesterday in sport mode, but using the paddle shifters on the expressway going probably 75 in 7th or 8th gear and I shifted up one gear just to cruise. Once I did that it essentially lost its gear again and down shifts multiple times while I'm pressing on the gas. Again had some light smoke come out of the back again. I usually can't get a video while its happening but I caught the tail end of it where the shifting isn't as bad but still not normal before I pulled off to the side to turn my car off and on again before continuing my drive home. Unfortunately it's not letting me upload the video. Appreciate any help, thanks!

filipradenovic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Filip
Vehicle(s)
'18 EB Convertible
@4leghorse
@filipradenovic

How's it going with the revisions to the transmission? Still running good or wonky?
After the software update it was good for a while but it degraded again. I went back to the service, they said valve body and fluid seal look worn/damaged. So they replaced valve body again, and the seal I guess or is that the part of the valve body (valve body replacement was already done at another service few months ago).

I picked up my car Wednesday (2 days ago), and on the ride home it was jerky but I got the standard spiel that I need to wait 100-150 miles for it to learn my driving. There was ONE big jerk from R to D when parking in my garage (before it was almost exclusively P to R). Last night I had a 100 miles road-trip, highway, city, stop and go highway congestion. Actually the car started feeling buttery smooth, even on downshifting to a stop which was my major issue so far. Or maybe I am lying to myself, and gotten used to shitty shifting. R to D or P to R jerk didn't happen at all.

To sum up my experience so far:
- Visit 1, Service 1: Low transmission fluid, fixed.
- Visit 2, Service 1: Valve body replaced.
- Visit 3, Service 1: They claimed there are no issues.
- Visit 4, Service 2: Software update, ie, adaptive strategies update.
- Visit 5, Service 2: Another valve body change.

I was surprised that they didn't completely open up the transmission to check for mechanical damage, not only valve body check. Can somebody tell me why would valve body be damaged in such a short period? What is the probability of getting a factory damaged valve body two times?

When I asked about opening up the transmission, the service manager said:
"""
We are unable to open the transmission per our Work-shop process (WSM) Ford Motor Co has established. Per WSM process the vehicle, our technician found a fault with-in the valve body, during his inspection found no other debris or metal contamination with in trans assembly to warrant dis-assembly of the transmission.
"""

I have a case with Ford open and contemplating on trying to get a buyback for a lemon car. I love the car, I just wanted it fixed, but I think I reached my limits of tries. Any opinions on this, fellow Mustang lovers?

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
After the software update it was good for a while but it degraded again. I went back to the service, they said valve body and fluid seal look worn/damaged. So they replaced valve body again, and the seal I guess or is that the part of the valve body (valve body replacement was already done at another service few months ago).

I picked up my car Wednesday (2 days ago), and on the ride home it was jerky but I got the standard spiel that I need to wait 100-150 miles for it to learn my driving. There was ONE big jerk from R to D when parking in my garage (before it was almost exclusively P to R). Last night I had a 100 miles road-trip, highway, city, stop and go highway congestion. Actually the car started feeling buttery smooth, even on downshifting to a stop which was my major issue so far. Or maybe I am lying to myself, and gotten used to shitty shifting. R to D or P to R jerk didn't happen at all.

To sum up my experience so far:
- Visit 1, Service 1: Low transmission fluid, fixed.
- Visit 2, Service 1: Valve body replaced.
- Visit 3, Service 1: They claimed there are no issues.
- Visit 4, Service 2: Software update, ie, adaptive strategies update.
- Visit 5, Service 2: Another valve body change.

I was surprised that they didn't completely open up the transmission to check for mechanical damage, not only valve body check. Can somebody tell me why would valve body be damaged in such a short period? What is the probability of getting a factory damaged valve body two times?

When I asked about opening up the transmission, the service manager said:
"""
We are unable to open the transmission per our Work-shop process (WSM) Ford Motor Co has established. Per WSM process the vehicle, our technician found a fault with-in the valve body, during his inspection found no other debris or metal contamination with in trans assembly to warrant dis-assembly of the transmission.
"""

I have a case with Ford open and contemplating on trying to get a buyback for a lemon car. I love the car, I just wanted it fixed, but I think I reached my limits of tries. Any opinions on this, fellow Mustang lovers?
Man, that stinks!
The only thing I can think of the valve bodies being damaged, if true, in such a short period of time, is "lack of quality" in that product.
Good luck man. I hope that they have to buy the car back. Keep all your records and paperwork and have them handy.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If you tell them you are starting a buy back request that might get you a new tranny. If you really love the car and they are willing to do it, it's a win win.

The only thing I can think of the valve bodies being damaged, if true, in such a short period of time, is "lack of quality" in that product.
I agree, it is certainly possible. Lightning can strike twice. But based on all of OP's issues I'm thinking it's something in the tranny itself. They need to convince Ford to open it up.
Sponsored