10R80 - First Two Gears are SLOW

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
My 2019 GT is stock, other than the dealer installed Roush supercharger. It has 20" wheels and a 3.15 gear.

When leaving from a stop, first and second gear have lower acceleration that I expected. In third gear the car wakes up and the front end lifts higher.

Will a custom tune fix that? Is this something that Roush builds into their conservative tune?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There's all kinds of ignition retard in the low gears. Ford calls it torque management

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
And it's there to protect your gearbox.

Anyway you are already making a ton of power on that car, you will spin forever and ever if you try to put it on the ground on first and second.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I dont think Roush intentionally limits torque in low gears. I have seen false knock make it seem that way though. You’d need a good log to know for sure.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Are you sure traction/stability control is completely off?

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
And it's there to protect your gearbox.

Anyway you are already making a ton of power on that car, you will spin forever and ever if you try to put it on the ground on first and second.
True as even a pure stock base GT with 3.15 gears will smoke the tires to the redline in 1st and continue after it shifts to 2nd IF you turn traction control off. I wonder if the OP had that issue before the supercharger was installed?

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
pull the dyno plug or whatever its called by the airbox on the the drivers fender , it will shut off all tcs and stabilty .

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
True as even a pure stock base GT with 3.15 gears will smoke the tires to the redline in 1st and continue after it shifts to 2nd IF you turn traction control off. I wonder if the OP had that issue before the supercharger was installed?
Sir, I bought the car used. The supercharger was installed by the dealer before I bought the car.

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
3.15's are horrible even for a supercharged application. I have same situtaion, it doesnt build steam until 3rd, and is a mutt off the line......

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What drive mode are you using? In Normal drive mode, my car is a slug in first, or whatever gear the A10 selects when you start rolling from a stop. I think Normal mode holds back a ton of power in first gear.

In Sport or Track modes though, it's a whole other story... got more power than I can put down.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Sir, I bought the car used. The supercharger was installed by the dealer before I bought the car.
Sorry, didn't know that as your post didn't mention that. Never drove a supercharged current generation Mustang so don't know what it's supposed to feel like. Stock model seems fine taking off from a stop in Sport mode.

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Today I switched to track mode and floored it from a stop. It instantly smoked the tires. The weather was cool and I had not done a burnout to warm the tires.

The nearest dragstrip is a 150 mile round trip. I'm not sure if they're still running this late in the year.

All I want is to get into the 10's in the 1/4 mile. The engine is stellar and the car is fun to drive. I'll get some better tires and test various modes and start procedures next year when the tracks open.
Sponsored