N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Im proving again that I’m not a drag racer but mixing radials and bias ply tires makes cars do spooky stuff. Are they that much better than drag radials?
I had zero issues at the track with radials front bias rears. Straight as an arrow. You can thank the IRS for that. For a stock car.. Pick your flavor and Bias plies all the way.
Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Im proving again that I’m not a drag racer but mixing radials and bias ply tires makes cars do spooky stuff. Are they that much better than drag radials?
First off - it's not about "better".....you really need a bias ply with a manual transmission car at the track. It's about driveline shock - the softer side wall on the bias ply lessens that shock. Manual trans cars have a direct mechanical connection to the engine...automatics have a torque converter (filled with fluid) so it can absorb some of that shock at launch.

With the trap speeds you'll in the 1/4 mile, the bias plys will be fine.

"Spooky" I guess is relative. I raced my old '67 Chevelle back in the 80s A LOT. It had 4 wheel drum brakes, no power steering, no sway bars, worn out front shocks (for weight transfer), Bias ply ties in rear, radials in front. That car ran deep into the 10's in the 1/4 mile...that car had HUNDREDS of passes on it when I sold it.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
With 4.09s its a lot harder to leave hard with a street tire like that.
Change "harder" to impossible. I have 3.55 gears - with traction control off, street tires are simply shredded from a standing start at any decent RPM.

But the real problem at the track is not tires spinning (that will of course make you slower) it's wheel hop. On a prepared surface, leaving the line at a decent clip can result in serious wheel hop - and that will break stuff quick.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If you don't have them add the vertical links, there is a reason Steeda puts them in their kit.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
With 4.09s its a lot harder to leave hard with a street tire like that.

You have to leave off idle and let the gears pull you out. Also the clutch engagement on the 2018-2020 cars is sorely lacking. I wonder if the Steeda clutch spring will help? Its tough to feather the clutch because you can't actually feel the engagement point.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You have to leave off idle and let the gears pull you out. Also the clutch engagement on the 2018-2020 cars is sorely lacking. I wonder if the Steeda clutch spring will help? Its tough to feather the clutch because you can't actually feel the engagement point.

That's the great thing about tires for the track. You'd don't have to leave off idle and you don't have to slip the clutch. Clean, quick engagement off the clutch off the line at a decent RPM and the car just goes.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
Sounds like fun. When you go back, try no-lift shifting, nobody can confirm or deny the Ford Perf tune has it. Must be in Track mode at over 5K rpms.
Every 18+ stock has it. It says it clear as day in their 2018 pamphlet for the mustang GT. Whether I would do it on the street or a prepped track with the MT82 trans is a whole other topic.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Are you sure about that? I would certainly be willing to give it a shot next time but I'm skeptical that this is necessary. Now, if you were talking about the stock 18" no-season Pirelli tires, I might agree but I'm pretty sure you can launch a lot harder than that with any fairly decent set of tires. My Indy500s are admittedly far from the stickiest summer compound tires on the market but they're also 325s. That's a lot of rubber for a stock engine car...and leaving off idle on a prepped surface seems a bit ridiculous.

I think my frustration with this whole thing is that what I (or likely anyone) would need to optimize the launch is lots and lots of practice and experimentation. The cost of that is beating the crap out of the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain too. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of the power that my GT has to offer and I shift at 7k+ every chance I get...but I also have a huge amount of mechanical empathy for cars that I love...and the level of abuse of the car is inversely proportionate to how much fun im having. Maybe I'm stuck with 12.9s and 2+ 60ft times.

Meanwhile, on the same evening, my pops with his BONE stock 40k mile 2016 Scatpack Challenger 8spd auto, on STOCK all 245 section all season tires knocks off a 12.4. At no point did he feel like he was abusing his car. I absolutely don't regret opting for the 6spd manual. I love rowing the gears more than life itself but he was having even more fun than I was and that was almost 100% due to his slush pump transmission.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Are you sure about that? I would certainly be willing to give it a shot next time but I'm skeptical that this is necessary. Now, if you were talking about the stock 18" no-season Pirelli tires, I might agree but I'm pretty sure you can launch a lot harder than that with any fairly decent set of tires. My Indy500s are admittedly far from the stickiest summer compound tires on the market but they're also 325s. That's a lot of rubber for a stock engine car...and leaving off idle on a prepped surface seems a bit ridiculous.

I think my frustration with this whole thing is that what I (or likely anyone) would need to optimize the launch is lots and lots of practice and experimentation. The cost of that is beating the crap out of the clutch and the rest of the drivetrain too. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy all of the power that my GT has to offer and I shift at 7k+ every chance I get...but I also have a huge amount of mechanical empathy for cars that I love...and the level of abuse of the car is inversely proportionate to how much fun im having. Maybe I'm stuck with 12.9s and 2+ 60ft times.

Meanwhile, on the same evening, my pops with his BONE stock 40k mile 2016 Scatpack Challenger 8spd auto, on STOCK all 245 section all season tires knocks off a 12.4. At no point did he feel like he was abusing his car. I absolutely don't regret opting for the 6spd manual. I love rowing the gears more than life itself but he was having even more fun than I was and that was almost 100% due to his slush pump transmission.
The manual in this car is tricky. On the street on a non prepared track you have to leave under 2-3k rpm and feather the clutch. The 4.09s should actually help with this. On the track with a prepped surface is a completely different animal. I have yet to take my 2020 to the track so can't give much advice on this. Only what I know from other cars I had with 4.10 gears but didn't make the near amount of torque these cars do.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

IMO throwing an auto street car down the strip is fun 2 or 3 times, then it's just a snoozefest. It's different once you get under 10 seconds and the skill to get down the strip comes back because of just how fast you're going.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Agreed not only will a better tire help traction but will kill much of the wheel hop the cradle lock out kit did not.

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
TO clarify. A 4.09 and topping out and coasting will still ET better than a lower (numerical) gear ratio. Topping out at say 1000ft or further and coasting really only effects the MPH, very very minimal effect on the ET.

As mentioned by someone else, a 4.56 if the way to go on the MT82D4 cars.

Additionally, it may be worth revving the car out a little higher as well.

OP
OP
MRGTX

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Quick question- what does launch control actually do? Is this the best way to launch?

When I switch the traction control off, it still holds the set rpm but the screen informs me that launch control is “not available.” I can’t tell what’s different.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Quick question- what does launch control actually do? Is this the best way to launch?

When I switch the traction control off, it still holds the set rpm but the screen informs me that launch control is “not available.” I can’t tell what’s different.

The best way to launch is to unplug the 'dyno plug' under the hood by the air intake. With that unplugged, all nannies are gone. You'll get a CEL - but it's fine. That's the only way I've ever been able to launch my '17 V6 and my '19 GT (Both 6 speed) at the track without traction control or something else kicking in - especially doing a burnout.

Of course if you are on street tires - don't worry about it.

Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored