10HP Loss, Not compression! Real reason exposed with Dyno Proof

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Thats why the Ford Performance Power kit won't work, it removes that hydrocarbon trap.
Except the power kit uses the same intake as the bullitt, gt350, and now mach 1. The mach 1 has this hydrocarbon filter added. There's technically no reason why they couldn't update the kit to use this new carbon filter contraption and sell it for the '22. I say technically because cost analysis could've ended with a fat "not worth it" for the last two MY of the s550.

I think the old design has the carbon trap, too. Unless I was seeing things, I could've sworn I saw one flush with the tube, right after the air filter. Except that doesn't obstruct airflow, which is a big no no for the EPA.
Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I pulled my stock GT air box off this afternoon and found the offending carbon filter and the plastic shroud that holds it in. It is missing now :) And I took it for about a 30 mile drive with no ill effects that I can tell. Didn't really get on it too much so can't tell any difference in power, course mine has felt really healthy since day 1.
who do you think stole your filter? :)

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
I felt it a bit more in the low to mid range. I donā€™t ā€œfeelā€ power but acceleration feels better if that makes sense.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
it requires a 10mm dude. I know I have to go to the store tomorrow now to do this. :/
FWIW, this is what I used (to remove a Mach 1 assembly):

10mm: CAI assembly.
8mm: air filter.
7mm: throttle body.

Flathead for the air filter and throttle body work. I like the better engagement of the socket.

Torx: to remove the airflow sensor in the intake tube. Sorry, my Torx isn't marked for size.

Flatheads/picks x3: to set the tabs (in the Mach 1 tube) so the EPA filter can be removed.

skye tools.jpg

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
So if we take this 20hp pickup at face value, we can assume the mustang is legally underrated by at least 10hp?
Back in the late nineties when the 4.6 4v cobra engines jumped from 305 hp to 320, ford had to update several cars because they did not get the advertised 320 hp. Ford got burnt big time because of that, ever since ford underrates everything. Who's going to sue because they got more than they paid for?

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So if we take this 20hp pickup at face value, we can assume the mustang is legally underrated by at least 10hp?
You have to remember that a dyno is a tool to measure a difference in power before and after mods, study the power curve, and to dyno tune. Of course it can give you a estimate how much the car is making. But there is a margin or error there due to so many factors.

Its possible the car is slightly underrated though.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
welp i'll be taking a look as soon as mine shows up :)

so if this is true a cold air intake will result in actual hp gains without a tune in the 2022's cause it'll get rid of all the factory restrictions.
Sure, but why go to the expense? The OEM CAI is great, just remove that stupid extra filter.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
HAHA. My trash can stole it, I would put money on it :)
I just got back from the garage and wanted to see the carbon filter everyone was talking about. Yup turns out my is missing also. Maybe the factory forget to put one it. šŸ˜‰

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
Accelerating feels more ā€œcrispā€ and responsive from low to mid range rpmā€™s.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Back in the late nineties when the 4.6 4v cobra engines jumped from 305 hp to 320, ford had to update several cars because they did not get the advertised 320 hp. Ford got burnt big time because of that, ever since ford underrates everything. Who's going to sue because they got more than they paid for?
I wasnā€™t aware of this but it is *exactly* what Iā€™ve been saying all along. Ford isnā€™t likely to promote an actual 20 hp drop as only 10 hp because they know itā€™s inevitable that itā€™s gonna cost them $ to bring the affected cars up to spec. Iā€˜m sure theyā€™ll err on the side of caution.

Now this might be their get out of jail free card: what is the commercially acceptable [read lawsuit proof] margin of variability in ratings within an engine family? These engines can be the same but they arenā€™t identical. Obviously if the allowable valance is say 2%, then any two random engines could be 4% apart. Luck of the draw would seem to be part of the deal.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
That small carbon trapping filter in the GT. Do you guys really think there is 10-20HP gain? Kind of hard to believe my car now has a 20HP gain.
Sponsored