1000 miles with new engine update

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@Dfeeds on the topic of misfiring and CELs, would it be possible for the vehicle to be frequently underperforming/misfiring without setting off a CEL eventually? Would there be a way to diagnose this? I'm just wondering if there's any procedure I can ask for to check if engine performance is in-spec, if there's a case where a CEL wouldn't catch it.
Sponsored

mustangpegasus51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
@Dfeeds as you also have a '19 PP, thought I'd let you know that my current issues look like a defective throttle body. If your assembly date was between Sep 10 - 19 2018 I'd get yours checked out!

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
@Dfeeds as you also have a '19 PP, thought I'd let you know that my current issues look like a defective throttle body. If your assembly date was between Sep 10 - 19 2018 I'd get yours checked out!
I appreciate the heads up but I have the performance pack with the gt350 throttle body.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Okay hmmm I might just have to wait until my next scheduled oil change then.

As far as the summer, I'm in SoCal so it definitely gets warm. I suspected the same, but I bought the car end of September which is still a pretty warm time of year out here.

Performance wise the car feels a bit jerky and the exhaust note is a bit off. If you've seen the other threads I've been on I think the exhaust note is a pretty simple fix to the active exhaust valve. To me it sounds too much like an I4 or something, and besides the thumping (which I've heard is what the typewriter tick sounds like from the top of the engine or in the interior,) the idle feels super quiet, even if the RPMs seem about right.

The jerkiness, I can't tell if it's the trans or the engine not getting enough of something. Silly question: without the digital dash, is there a way to tell what gear I'm in with the 10r80? I can faint a guess but I don't actually see a number anywhere.

I had the transmission computer reflashed and it helped a bit, but something just feels under-powered. I'm not stalling or getting a rough idle, but it jerks when I hit it most of the time, jerks if I keep a light, consistent throttle, and if I slow down/stop and try to go again, sometimes there's significant delay before the throttle seems to respond. I'm also getting about 11mpg which seems abnormal even for this car. I pulled a P0300 a few weeks ago, on a night drive in quiet mode gunning it -- I don't think the ae valve would affect performance at all, but I only got the P0300 in quiet mode that one time. Dealer tried several pulls trying to set off the misfire again, got nothing so far.

I thought maybe the throttle body was acting up (I swear I hear it make a pop noise sometimes) especially since my assembly date matches customer satisfaction program 18B34. When I called Ford they said I wasn't on the VIN list despite assembly date match, which set me off a bit because I figured what's the harm in trying this if it's so close to being part of a bad batch? Even if this is something else, I'd rather be safe that sorry with the TB, and the dealer will have a tough time justifying a preventative measure without corporate giving the go-ahead.

But alas, it is what it is. I got a little upset with Ford but honestly the dealer I get service from is super nice and whatever happens might even buy my next car from them. They're trying their best even when staffing is probably lower during these crazy times we're all living in right now.

Turned into a rant a bit but I really do love my car. Oh, and I forgot, on top of all this, between servicing the car, I had to move mine for street cleaning and someone tapped the bumper a block away from my apartment. The dealer actually offered to have their bodyshop see if they can snap it back in right, which again makes me really like them. :)
The transmission issues that you describe sound like a possible low trans fluid situation. Many have had low trans fluid out of the factory and the symptoms are similar to yours. Worth having checked as a possible easy way to resolve your issues. People who had low fluid said it was night/day difference after getting to the correct level. GL!
Sponsored