2020 GT350, 1000 miles DEAD with Broken Valve

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
UPDATE: after working with a great Ford executive and team, a new engine was delivered in 3 days. So much for the dealers inability to find one quickly or even try to escalate. Just was at the dealer today opening the engine crate (one week to the day from dropping the car off) with the GT350 mechanic. I should have taken a picture. It was a complete long block engine without some of the external attachments. Will take 3 days to install and will only cost me a few frozen popsicles for the mechanic. So I believe, when they say its just the long block, they mean that the block is completely assembled with crank, pistons, all the internals, oil filter..... What's not on it is the external air intake, valve covers, spark plugs and so on which will also all be new. Not a very technical description but I think all replacements are this way or at least that was what I was told.

There are definitely unsolved issues with those engines so getting a free extended warranty is a must (total warranty 8 years).

Hopefully picking it back up Friday.
Awesome news. Glad to hear that youā€™re going to be back in the saddle by the weekend.

You might find this of interest.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/difference-between-long-and-short-blocks/
Sponsored

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
70d0e965-fc7e-4453-830c-8bb190a45df2-jpeg.jpg

I found this pick and it is identical to what I saw when we took my new engine out of the crate today, down to the same blue plastic wrap. This is what is meant by a new engine for someone that was asking.

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line

I found this pick and it is identical to what I saw when we took my new engine out of the crate today, down to the same blue plastic wrap. This is what is meant by a new engine for someone that was asking.
Awesome, definitely get 8 years 125k warranty.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP

I see that the build sticker is in the correct place on the rear of the right valve cover.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Make sure they check the catalytic converters for any damage

make sure oil cooler and lines are REPLACED, NOT FLUSHED

check intake manifold and throttle body for damage

when they finish, fluids all topped off, brakes bled, splitter and belly pan correctly reinstalled.

do a walk around video of the car before they start, paying close attention to front body panels, wheels ( no chips) door edges, etc. also get interior shots of seat, floor, rocker panel, etc.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Make sure they check the catalytic converters for any damage

make sure oil cooler and lines are REPLACED, NOT FLUSHED

check intake manifold and throttle body for damage

when they finish, fluids all topped off, brakes bled, splitter and belly pan correctly reinstalled.

do a walk around video of the car before they start, paying close attention to front body panels, wheels ( no chips) door edges, etc. also get interior shots of seat, floor, rocker panel, etc.
All great advice. Iā€™d like to add one more thing. Find out what your tech likes to drink and get him the best bottle you can afford.

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Get your shit together Ford, ridiculous this still happening. No wonder their stock is 6 bucks a share

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Visited the technician today (I now just skip the service department and go directly to the service bay) for an update, with Italian food in hand. We talked about what needed to be done yet. Yes all oil lines and intercoolers are being replaced, good idea to check.

Seems to me that he is being diligent and careful. Will ask about the other things mentioned when I visit him tomorrow with bottle in hand. He has been willing to talk about the engine and car in as much detail as I want. Heā€™s better at customer service than the rest of the customer service department.

Hopefully he will be done soon, better slower and correct than fast and screwed up.

upload_2020-6-26_0-44-6.jpeg

upload_2020-6-26_0-45-23.jpeg
upload_2020-6-26_0-31-37.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Man, breaks my heart to see your car like that. But great idea to get the tech on your side; that way you have direct information. Hopefully the new engine won't have the same possible issue. Good luck, brother.

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Conclusion: Because slap Lawsuits are legal in Michigan I wonā€™t say as much as I would like to. Picked up the car today after only two weeks to the day. This was due to my Ford internal escalation to get an engine quickly and a technician who worked his ass off to get this done as he promised and done right.

When picking it up I asked about the extended warranty for a car that broke after only 1300 miles, is now devalued due to the engine replace and Knowing that the gt350 has a history of Engine failures. I was told to go fight it out with Ford.

The dealer claimed that they bent over backward to get an engine quickly. However I never heard a word about what they where doing other than I was told to stop calling and that it would be 4 to 6 weeks. They also claimed that because I got a great deal on the car, I should be great full. Needless to say I will never step foot in that dealership ever again and regret buying the car from them.

The Technician was the bright spot, the rest of the team was useless. Then again it was only a $70k+ Ford car so maybe I expected to much. Itā€™s back to Ford to work out the extended warranty issue and I will get one.

Thanks for all your feedback along the way, it was very helpful..

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Iā€™m surprised they took the entire nose off and came out the front with the engine.

They could have dropped the entire front assembly - engine and suspension - as a whole out the bottom.

GAGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 1983 S10 Sport Pickup
Iā€™m surprised they took the entire nose off and came out the front with the engine.

They could have dropped the entire front assembly - engine and suspension - as a whole out the bottom.
Be sure to let us know how the warranty issue turns out.

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Visited the technician today (I now just skip the service department and go directly to the service bay) for an update, with Italian food in hand. We talked about what needed to be done yet. Yes all oil lines and intercoolers are being replaced, good idea to check.

Seems to me that he is being diligent and careful. Will ask about the other things mentioned when I visit him tomorrow with bottle in hand. He has been willing to talk about the engine and car in as much detail as I want. Heā€™s better at customer service than the rest of the customer service department.

Hopefully he will be done soon, better slower and correct than fast and screwed up.

upload_2020-6-26_0-44-6.jpeg

upload_2020-6-26_0-45-23.jpeg
upload_2020-6-26_0-31-37.jpeg
index.jpg

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Wrap up: called my case manager this am to discuss extended warranty. I was offered bumper to bumper for 7 yrs or 75k miles OR 8 years drive train. I was off the phone in 5 min. While the dealer was useless (except for the technician) at least Ford support was a shining star. Now they just need to significantly reduce warranty costs and raise the quality level. I took the 7 year option.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wrap up: called my case manager this am to discuss extended warranty. I was offered bumper to bumper for 7 yrs or 75k miles OR 8 years drive train. I was off the phone in 5 min. While the dealer was useless (except for the technician) at least Ford support was a shining star. Now they just need to significantly reduce warranty costs and raise the quality level. I took the 7 year option.
I'm glad they took care of you. Now just try and enjoy the car once you get it back.
Sponsored