2020 GT350, 1000 miles DEAD with Broken Valve

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Got my Performance Blue 2020 GT350 this March (L0472), just in time for summer in Michigan. Spent the first month breaking in the engine following all recommended procedures. Had a lot of fun driving it around getting awesome comments about how great it sounded and looked.

Just over 1000 miles, going 60 MPH on the highway then engine began to misfire. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from the dealership that i bought this thing from and made it there. After a day of analysis I was told that the valve broke, causing damage to the piston and number 7 cylinder. An engine replace would be required, 3 to 5 weeks.

For $70k I got to drive the car for 2 months, this summer is now almost shot and I will be on engine number 2. Since the repair will take more that 30 days I am pursuing the Ford buy back process.

But always interested in other thoughts: pursue buy back assuming the new motor will have same issues vs take the replaced engine and pray.
Sponsored

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
These 350s are blowing up everywhere and you have the right to feel angry. If you special ordered your car from the factory, I would push Ford to do a motor replacement, a no cost 100K engine warranty in writing, and a decent loaner car for the duration. This would be the bare minimum for me otherwise follow the buy back process and go for a Mach 1 next year.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Unbelievable that this is still happening. Same story every time it seems like.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Got my Performance Blue 2020 GT350 this March (L0472), just in time for summer in Michigan. Spent the first month breaking in the engine following all recommended procedures. Had a lot of fun driving it around getting awesome comments about how great it sounded and looked.

Just over 1000 miles, going 60 MPH on the highway then engine began to misfire. Luckily I was only a couple of miles from the dealership that i bought this thing from and made it there. After a day of analysis I was told that the valve broke, causing damage to the piston and number 7 cylinder. An engine replace would be required, 3 to 5 weeks.

For $70k I got to drive the car for 2 months, this summer is now almost shot and I will be on engine number 2. Since the repair will take more that 30 days I am pursuing the Ford buy back process.

But always interested in other thoughts: pursue buy back assuming the new motor will have same issues vs take the replaced engine and pray.
Thanks for sharing and I’m feeling all that read this will feel sorry for you and your GT350 . Others have posted a broken valve, I believe that their supplier has unknowingly built these with a porosity/ forging / poor quality steel and was a batch but not all of them. Your new engine will probably be bullit proof like most others out there . Ford cannot always control the quality of some of the suppliers parts but the way Ford acts to and fixes the problem is the quality of the company. I have heard that Ford can be gracious and gift the owners of Shelby‘s that have this problem with longer warranties etc., The saying goes when life gives you lemons make lemonade ! congratulations on having a fantastic GT 350.

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
UPDATE: Dealer tells me that an engine has been order from ford performance and we are waiting on an ETA for delivery. I was also able to get additional info from an inside source that tells me that Ford continues to see GT350 engine failures (already noted on the forum), with the majority of them happening in the first 2000 miles or less.. They originally attributed it to red line abuse but after plugging the failed engines into the computer have found no evidence of abuse. They are still puzzled as to the multiple causes.

Not being an engineer but knowing Ford history, I can tell them that cutting corners by always buy the cheapest part is part of the problem. Inferior components on this type of car will lead to failures. I suspect the failed valve was part of poor quality that I am hopeful was addressed.

On the funnier side, the dealer also told me that they have yet to swap a 2020 GT350 motor but not to worry.........they should take a look at the cost of these cars and take a page out of bmw or some other high end car dealers playbook. Dealing with customers that spend a crap load of money and expect a certain level of service and communication is different than Fords sit and wait approach. I call every day at 4:30 for an update. They should be calling me daily. Expecting a call yet today regarding the engine delivery EAT, I am guessing I will need to call them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
UPDATE:

Just spoke with Ford dealer service manager and he tells me the following:

1. New estimated repair date is 4 - 6 weeks (first it was 3-5 weeks, then month end, now this, all just a guesses)
    1. He has no eta for engine delivery

2. He claims that even Ford doesn’t have a view of a potential engine delivery dates and can’t determine one (seems crazy since everything ford builds in on a build schedule) and there is no one he can call at Ford for an update (this can’t be possible).

3. He tells me, that as a dealer , he is at fords mercy (Bill Brown is the largest dealer in the US, they surely have connections for issues like this)

4. He “suggested” that I should stop calling his service department and that when he has an update he will get back with me. This is not how a customer of a $70K car should be treated. So in other words “go away”
  2. As a result of this latest call I will be requesting a lemon buy back, as the repair time will be well over 30 days. After working with ford for 20+ years I am extremely disappointed, aggravated and saddened at this level of service
I GIVE UP

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
UPDATE:

Just spoke with Ford dealer service manager and he tells me the following:

1. New estimated repair date is 4 - 6 weeks (first it was 3-5 weeks, then month end, now this, all just a guesses)
    1. He has no eta for engine delivery

2. He claims that even Ford doesn’t have a view of a potential engine delivery dates and can’t determine one (seems crazy since everything ford builds in on a build schedule) and there is no one he can call at Ford for an update (this can’t be possible).

3. He tells me, that as a dealer , he is at fords mercy (Bill Brown is the largest dealer in the US, they surely have connections for issues like this)

4. He “suggested” that I should stop calling his service department and that when he has an update he will get back with me. This is not how a customer of a $70K car should be treated. So in other words “go away”
  2. As a result of this latest call I will be requesting a lemon buy back, as the repair time will be well over 30 days. After working with ford for 20+ years I am extremely disappointed, aggravated and saddened at this level of service
I GIVE UP
The only good thing is that it happened early on and not when you had some mods that could have been blamed for the failure by Ford.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
UPDATE: VP of Ford Customer Service is engaged. Called me at home twice with action plans....was nice to finally hear from someone who cares.
Its also worth considering that COVID 19 has played absolute hell with Fords supply chains. Especially with regards to lower volume parts like for the GT350. Not saying you shouldn't be mad, but resolutions may take longer than they should.

Guitar00Dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Not that I have a GT350, but a 2019 Mustang GT that I purchased new in April that has been in to service twice for an issue over the past 25 days and nothing has been fixed. I also have a case open with a Ford Customer Service Manager assisting me with the issue, Good luck to us both :beer::beer:

Sponsored

Huck FInn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2nd Engine
Thanks to all that have provided feedback, all is appreciated.
My 2020 GT350 just did the exact same thing last Friday, dropped an intake valve into cylinder 7. My GT350 also was delivered late in March.

My dealer says I'm only going to get a long block, not a complete new engine.

For others that have had a valve drop, how was your car repaired - did you get a complete new engine or just a long block?

I've put another $10K into my GT350 in the last 3 months, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sell it for what I can get.

Any recommendations on how to sell the beast without taking a major financial bath?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My 2020 GT350 just did the exact same thing last Friday, dropped an intake valve into cylinder 7. My GT350 also was delivered late in March.

My dealer says I'm only going to get a long block, not a complete new engine.
For others that have had a valve drop, how was your car repaired - did you get a complete new engine or just a long block?
I've put another $10K into my GT350 in the last 3 months, but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sell it for what I can get.
Any recommendations on how to sell the beast without taking a major financial bath?
You just opened up another thread on selling your car on the general forum. You might want to take one of them down so have one cohesive thread. We are just here trying to help you.

OP
OP

smalexander2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
UPDATE: after working with a great Ford executive and team, a new engine was delivered in 3 days. So much for the dealers inability to find one quickly or even try to escalate. Just was at the dealer today opening the engine crate (one week to the day from dropping the car off) with the GT350 mechanic. I should have taken a picture. It was a complete long block engine without some of the external attachments. Will take 3 days to install and will only cost me a few frozen popsicles for the mechanic. So I believe, when they say its just the long block, they mean that the block is completely assembled with crank, pistons, all the internals, oil filter..... What's not on it is the external air intake, valve covers, spark plugs and so on which will also all be new. Not a very technical description but I think all replacements are this way or at least that was what I was told.

There are definitely unsolved issues with those engines so getting a free extended warranty is a must (total warranty 8 years).

Hopefully picking it back up Friday.
Sponsored