Sponsored

1000 Mile Fluid Change

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Word of warning. A friend of mine blew up a F250 diesel engine ( only 1 year old)
Ford checked the records, showed now service at Ford.
They asked for proof of service, with receipts and products used.
If your going elsewhere, which they will accept. Keep a log, with receipts for products ETC.
Odds are you will never need, but better to have than ever need to fight that battle.

I keep a file on all my Vehicles, so never an issue.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Word of warning. A friend of mine blew up a F250 diesel engine ( only 1 year old)
Ford checked the records, showed now service at Ford.
They asked for proof of service, with receipts and products used.
If your going elsewhere, which they will accept. Keep a log, with receipts for products ETC.
Odds are you will never need, but better to have than ever need to fight that battle.

I keep a file on all my Vehicles, so never an issue.
They only do that when they want to get out of covering typically. Id find a new dealer after stunts like that. They know not everyone goes to the dealer for service. They also know people change their own oil. Ive been fortunate that none of the dealers i have worked at over the years have pulled that stunt. At least while i was there.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
You dont have to use 5w50. Id use a 10w40 if its not a year round car. Year round 0w40. 5w50 is overkill for a mainly street driven car. If you track all the time and race like the stig. By all means 5w50

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
I won't be racing at all and drive mainly on weekends or on a nice day. I'd be afraid to put anything else in it. :shrug:

You dont have to use 5w50. Id use a 10w40 if its not a year round car. Year round 0w40. 5w50 is overkill for a mainly street driven car. If you track all the time and race like the stig. By all means 5w50

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I won't be racing at all and drive mainly on weekends or on a nice day. I'd be afraid to put anything else in it. :shrug:
No reason to be afraid. It will not hurt it. That oil weight is purpose based. Its not ideal for a street car. Can you use it? Yes. Id use 10w40 if it doesnt get below freezing where you live. I didnt check. 0w40 year round.
*edit*
You're in California lol. 10w40 that thing.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This is just like the 302 boss. Ford spec'd 5w50. They did that because it was marketed as a track car. Just like this. Eventually a lot of owners found out they dont need 5w50 for a street car.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
No reason to be afraid. It will not hurt it. That oil weight is purpose based. Its not ideal for a street car. Can you use it? Yes. Id use 10w40 if it doesnt get below freezing where you live. I didnt check. 0w40 year round.
*edit*
You're in California lol. 10w40 that thing.
LOL! Thanks. I already ordered the 5w50, just for the first oil change. Next time I'll go with 10w40. :) Thank you!

This is just like the 302 boss. Ford spec'd 5w50. They did that because it was marketed as a track car. Just like this. Eventually a lot of owners found out they dont need 5w50 for a street car.
Good to know.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
They only do that when they want to get out of covering typically. Id find a new dealer after stunts like that. They know not everyone goes to the dealer for service. They also know people change their own oil. Ive been fortunate that none of the dealers i have worked at over the years have pulled that stunt. At least while i was there.
Actually in this case, it had nothing to do with dealer, it was a warranty issue.
They get paid from factory and love warranty work. It was requested by
Ford and they wanted proof service had been done.
Lucky for my friend was he did the service and they covered the repair.

You are correct, you don't have to use Ford service, but you need to be able to prove you did the service. TO me its easy to keep those receipts.
TO each his own, I always do my own service.
This time I might do first one at Ford and do complete fluid swap at
about 500 miles, based on what I am reading here.:thumbsup:

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Just under 1100 miles on her. Royal Purple HPS for the engine, FL500S filter, Synchromax for the MT82, and Maxgear 75w90 for the diff. Again big thanks to Jim at Royal Purple in their tech services department. Always very helpful when I call, knows his shit about some fluids, and is a Terminator owner himself. [emoji106]

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Actually in this case, it had nothing to do with dealer, it was a warranty issue.
They get paid from factory and love warranty work. It was requested by
Ford and they wanted proof service had been done.
Lucky for my friend was he did the service and they covered the repair.

You are correct, you don't have to use Ford service, but you need to be able to prove you did the service. TO me its easy to keep those receipts.
TO each his own, I always do my own service.
This time I might do first one at Ford and do complete fluid swap at
about 500 miles, based on what I am reading here.:thumbsup:
None of the dealers i worked (toyota, subaru, ford and currently bmw) love warranty work, at least the 25+ years ive done it, especially the techs. We both make less on warranty work. We dont get to charge full price on parts or labor. Its also a pain in the ass, they want the part sent back to them sometimes. We have to hang onto it for awhile incase they do. The whole process sucks. The manufacturer must have asked at random. Ive heard of that before. Typically though its a service manager breathing down a service writers neck because what is being covered is high dollar. Which is a crappy stunt. I wasnt saying you shouldnt keep it. Just that they shouldn't be doing that had it been the manager/warranty rep. Ive known people that let the dealers do their free oil changes then take it home and change with their own stuff for the sake of having records on file.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
So I changed the oil yesterday. A couple notes for those of you that will be changing you own oil. You need a T27 driver to remove the screw to the door to allow the oil to drain out from the filter.

You really need a Form-a-funnel or something to keep from making a huge mess when you remove the filter. I didn't have one and made a huge mess. This is one thing I miss with my BMWs ... having the oil filter on the top.

Since the oil pan is made of some sort of plastic composite material it doesn't have a traditional metal drain plug. Instead it has this yellow plastic plug that twists and locks in. I was able to remove it with my hand.

The oil comes out FAST and I made another huge mess. I have a 16Qt oil catch device but it has low sides. The oil came out so fast the drain couldn't keep up and it spilled over. It might be because I had the oil cap off on the engine so next time I will leave it on to see if that slows down the flow and I will get a deeper and larger catcher.

There isn't much room to room to remove the oil filter so I recommend a 76mm oil filter cap that you can attach a small socket wrench to.

The engine took exactly 10Qts as specified. It is very refreshing to have a real dipstick again instead of that electronic crap the BMWs have.

Again for reference here is the part number for the oil filter and the oil I used.

I didn't change the transmission or diff fluid yet. The tranny looks easy enough but I'm not sure on the diff. Looks like you might have to pump the fluid out. I don't see an obvious drain plug or an obvious fill plug either. You may have to remove one of the plugs/lines that connects to the cooler. If anyone has already tackled this I'd appreciate any advice on that.

gww52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
GT500
I changed mine at 580 miles.The filter was so tight it was unbelievable.
I cut the filter open and what a mess.
There was a huge amount of red silicone,some blue silicone and various other garbage.
Change your oil very early.
I saved my filter element paper for all to see.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I changed mine at 580 miles.The filter was so tight it was unbelievable.
I cut the filter open and what a mess.
There was a huge amount of red silicone,some blue silicone and various other garbage.
Change your oil very early.
I saved my filter element paper for all to see.
Photos?

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
There isn't much room to room to remove the oil filter so I recommend a 76mm oil filter cap that you can attach a small socket wrench to.
Hmmm, I bought a different oil filter cap wrench that fits perfect.

74.5mm, 14 flute
CTA A267 from Pep Boys
filter_cap.jpg
Sponsored