1000 Mile Fluid Change

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'm still confused as to whether I can actually use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-50 or not and remain under Ford's good graces for the warranty. Anybody know for sure?
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Funny you mention this bc I had a long conversation with Jim technical customer service at Royal Purple about this when deciding which line of oil to go with (API licensed, HPS, or XPR). I decided to go with their HPS line. Which technically isn't API licensed due to its higher phosphorus content. Though it "exceeds" the API standard it can't be licensed bc it has more than the maximum aloud amount of phosphorus. Which I thought was weird bc it is better for engine wear. He told me they cap the phosphorus bc ever since OEM's were forced to extend the warranty on emissions equipment it was believed that higher phosphorus content could potentially lessen the life of catalytic converters. So since emissions warranty superseded power train warranties I guess OEM's were more concerned with not killing cats then using a better oil... I for one don't believe they would go through the trouble of doing an oil analysis to find out when trying to deny a claim, but who knows. And 2, I'm already tuned so trying to get a motor claim green lit due to type of oil would be a secondary battle once getting passed the tune argument. So I said fuck it and went with the better HPS line of Royal Purple lol...
Ah. I doubt they would void it for that but you never know. Ive never seen any dealership I've worked at do an oil analysis unless suspicion of oil being not acceptable. I use amsoil when i dont use pennzoil platinum/ultra. Ive used redline as well. As long as its API SN ISLAC GF-5 people will be safe. I used to be a master tech at ford before i came to bmw.

Last edited:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
With that said. I have no idea if they have the same spec oil being used in the gt350 as the coyote.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
isnt it abit too soon?

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
isnt it abit too soon?
To change the fluids? Well that depends if you want to get the wear out of the fluid. For my engine based on an oil analysis, it was well worth it for me. Besides initial wear, the other important question is how do you drive? For me, I want a great oil in my car, not semi-synthetic for 7,500-10K miles.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Any of you using the "boutique" oils have any data points that suggest you have gotten positive results in the past? Longer life than normally expected comes to mind? How many miles did you put on your last engine that you ran a boutique oil in? What negative effects are you trying to avoid that you observed in other engines or from other people that ran a less expensive oil?

I have a couple Fords (low performance) with 223,000 and 242,000 miles on them. They work fine, don't burn oil, don't leak oil, etc.. They get whatever oil is super cheap and the correct weight. Should I be doing something differently that will improve my results? Are you guys getting/expecting 500,000 mile engine life?

Frankly, I get bored with most cars far sooner than they wear out. I would be surprised if I put more than 150,000 miles on this car. Very surprised. I can't imagine getting improved results from spending more on oil, but I would like to hear others' thoughts.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Any of you using the "boutique" oils have any data points that suggest you have gotten positive results in the past? Longer life than normally expected comes to mind? How many miles did you put on your last engine that you ran a boutique oil in? What negative effects are you trying to avoid that you observed in other engines or from other people that ran a less expensive oil?

I have a couple Fords (low performance) with 223,000 and 242,000 miles on them. They work fine, don't burn oil, don't leak oil, etc.. They get whatever oil is super cheap and the correct weight. Should I be doing something differently that will improve my results? Are you guys getting/expecting 500,000 mile engine life?

Frankly, I get bored with most cars far sooner than they wear out. I would be surprised if I put more than 150,000 miles on this car. Very surprised. I can't imagine getting improved results from spending more on oil, but I would like to hear others' thoughts.
Depends on how you drive. If it's your weekly commuter that never sees WOT or above 3-4K RPM, it won't matter too much but then again who drives their performance car like that. If you drive it hard or track it, then I'd go with a better oil.

To answer your question, I did an analysis on the stock MC synthetic-blend 5w-20 @ 1,058 miles and will do another analysis @ 5K miles with TBN (AMSOIL SS 5w-20 with their EO filter) and I'll post back later in spring.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
To answer your question, I did an analysis on the stock MC synthetic-blend 5w-20 @ 1,058 miles and will do another analysis @ 5K miles with TBN (AMSOIL SS 5w-20 with their EO filter) and I'll post back later in spring.
Wait, are you talking about the GT350? It's 5W50 full-synthetic. That's what the manual says so I'd greatly imagine the break-in oil is the same. Have you seen differently somewhere?

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My apologies, was quoting 5.0 numbers*

As for the GT350, the stock oil IS a lot better, but I'd still prefer AMSOIL SS or something of that nature.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
daltron said:
Depends on how you drive. If it's your weekly commuter that never sees WOT or above 3-4K RPM, it won't matter too much but then again who drives their performance car like that. If you drive it hard or track it, then I'd go with a better oil..
I will track mine and I agree that people who drive daily will also wind out the engine and use WOT all the time. They will also accumulate a lot more engine run time and miles and potentially their vehicles will wear out more quickly than cars that spend most of the time in a garage. I understand that you would go with a better oil. I'm looking for ANY evidence that said "better" oil will provide a real world benefit.

daltron said:
I'm looking for something like this:

I owned a XXX and did YYY with it. My friend had the same car. We both went to track events. He used the Ford recommended oil. I used ZZZ fancy oil in mine. Now his is worn out and mine still works like new.

Oil analysis - yeah I guess it's a data point, but it doesn't mean much to me. Especially if there's no oil analysis of another car run with factory oil under similar conditions to compare it to.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I will track mine and I agree that people who drive daily will also wind out the engine and use WOT all the time. They will also accumulate a lot more engine run time and miles and potentially their vehicles will wear out more quickly than cars that spend most of the time in a garage. I understand that you would go with a better oil. I'm looking for ANY evidence that said "better" oil will provide a real world benefit.

I owned a XXX and did YYY with it. My friend had the same car. We both went to track events. He used the Ford recommended oil. I used ZZZ fancy oil in mine. Now his is worn out and mine still works like new.

Oil analysis - yeah I guess it's a data point, but it doesn't mean much to me. Especially if there's no oil analysis of another car run with factory oil under similar conditions to compare it to.
I'm doing it just for peace of mind. I doubt it really makes a huge difference what type of oil you use. As long as you use the proper viscosity and fully synthetic you should be good. I do think high temps play a bigger role and I expect to see them on the track. So I don't mind paying a few extra dollars here and there for these fluids. Plus it mentally should give me an extra 5 HP. :D

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350

There's more to the decision of which oil to use than just longevity. Fuel mileage, change intervals, warranty considerations, etc. are just some of the considerations that might determine which oil is chosen for a particular vehicle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm doing it just for peace of mind. I doubt it really makes a huge difference what type of oil you use. As long as you use the proper viscosity and fully synthetic you should be good. I do think high temps play a bigger role and I expect to see them on the track. So I don't mind paying a few extra dollars here and there for these fluids. Plus it mentally should give me an extra 5 HP. :D
:) Sure. Sounds reasonable to me. I do plan to do fluid changes after track sessions.

There's more to the decision of which oil to use than just longevity. Fuel mileage, change intervals, warranty considerations, etc. are just some of the considerations that might determine which oil is chosen for a particular vehicle.
Fuel economy has more to do with viscosity than oil type, but change intervals could be a consideration. I'd rather own an engine that ran cheaper oil that was changed frequently instead of a similar engine with expensive oil but where the oil change intervals were extended.

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
Well I had my dealership change the oil and filter on mine today. I had 750 miles on it. And they were not all easy miles. I gave her hell a few times and fully enjoyed doing so. I normally will change my own oil. But my dealer gives you the 1st one for free. So why not? I'm going to change all the fluids at 5000 miles. I will more than likely go with Amsoil on everything next go around.

I will say that the tech and I did notice some metallic particles in the oil. I was tempted to have him cut open the oil filter, but it was almost closing time and I knew what we where going to find. So I encourage everyone to service their car sooner than later. Just my two cents!