Sponsored

1000 Mile Fluid Change

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
for the E92M3 the 6MT fluid change at dealer WILL require the computer to pump out the oil in the tranny cooler. the drain and fill method for DIYers will only drain and fill what is in the tranny but not in the cooler.

"The M3 manual transmission has a cooler that requires the BMW computer to cycle on/off to completely extract old fluid and take in new fluid."
http://www.billswebspace.com/M3E92TransFluidDIY.htm

part #8 is the temp sensor, which I know for a fact all track pack and R has, so I am almost certain gt350 works the same way.

only open up the path to the cooler when the temperature reaches certain degrees. doesn't make any sense say at below freezing all 3 coolers are still running.

nothing wrong with DIY just keep in mind most likely you were only be able to change what is in the diff/tranny but may not be able to change what is in the coolers.

They used to have it on all cars. But when they changed the maintenance schedules only M cars kept the 1200 mile service. The maintenance schedule change was likely due to cost reasons since BMW covers the maintenance. So service intervals were most likely pushed to its limits. .

I asked my shop foreman.There is nothing special done through the diagnostic software that gets removed, opened, changed etc. The service indicator gets reset through the software, that's it,but only for this service, any others get done through the gauge cluster. BMW probably just really wants this to get done at the dealer I guess. Even if you're a DIY'er and don't use the maintenance plan. And the fluids are a drain and fill with filter change. Nothing is "flushed".

When you do a trans fluid level check on SMG's there are "test plan" procedures that involves the computer to check fluid levels that involve trans temps. The manuals is just the plug check. And I I remember correctly the SMG's don't get touched at the 1200 mile.
Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
for the E92M3 the 6MT fluid change at dealer WILL require the computer to pump out the oil in the tranny cooler. the drain and fill method for DIYers will only drain and fill what is in the tranny but not in the cooler.

"The M3 manual transmission has a cooler that requires the BMW computer to cycle on/off to completely extract old fluid and take in new fluid."
http://www.billswebspace.com/M3E92TransFluidDIY.htm

part #8 is the temp sensor, which I know for a fact all track pack and R has, so I am almost certain gt350 works the same way.

only open up the path to the cooler when the temperature reaches certain degrees. doesn't make any sense say at below freezing all 3 coolers are still running.

nothing wrong with DIY just keep in mind most likely you were only be able to change what is in the diff/tranny but may not be able to change what is in the coolers.
Apparently my foreman needs to brush up on procedures...

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
I disagree, I like the idea of better fluids in my car.

@ 1,058 miles I changed to AMSOIL SS and their EO filter, RP synchromax for the manual trans, and @ 5K I'll swap the oil again and do the rear diff with AMSOIL.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I disagree, I like the idea of better fluids in my car.

@ 1,058 miles I changed to AMSOIL SS and their EO filter, RP synchromax for the manual trans, and @ 5K I'll swap the oil again and do the rear diff with AMSOIL.
While the car is under warranty I wouldn't change anything then what ford recommends.

If something malfunctions on your car and ford discovers you are running a fluid they don't recommend I could see you having a problem with your warranty claim. But hey it's your car and money.

ohtobbad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I originally planned on only changing the oil,
somewhere between 500 to 1000.
But reading everything, I think I will change all.
Normally I do this my self, but maybe because
of the relatively unknown VooDoo engine, I will bite the bullet
and let Ford change all the fluids.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Apparently my foreman needs to brush up on procedures...
Ouch. Thats not good. Our foremans see the most schooling. But i guess you can only remember so much. :shrug: As you possibly remember im a master tech at my dealer and i occasionally have something slip my memory. I would hope hed double check before proceeding. I know i do unless its a procedure i do super often. Its not like our m cars are common though.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
While the car is under warranty I wouldn't change anything then what ford recommends.

If something malfunctions on your car and ford discovers you are running a fluid they don't recommend I could see you having a problem with your warranty claim. But hey it's your car and money.
If it meets or exceeds he is within his right to use something non Motorcraft.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

What the quote below says.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
Ouch. Thats not good. Our foremans see the most schooling. But i guess you can only remember so much. :shrug: hell im a master tech at my dealer and i occasionally have something slip my memory. I would hope hed double check before proceeding. I know i do unless its a procedure i do super often. Its not like our m cars are common though.
Yeah it's been a while since he did any maintenance stuff. Let alone an M car 1200 mile service. He's really good about keeping up with technical TSB's and diagnostic stuff. And he's a dispatcher haha. So he has his hands full. Can't really fault him. Like you said, if he had to do one for whatever reason I know he would brush up before performing the service. When I asked him I caught him in passing in the middle of doing something...

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Yeah, they can't fault you for using something that meets Ford's own WSS-M2C931-B spec on the engine oil, which AMSOIL does or respective specs on any of the other fluids. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to require you to use their own fluids.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yeah it's been a while since he did any maintenance stuff. Let alone an M car 1200 mile service. He's really good about keeping up with technical TSB's and diagnostic stuff. And he's a dispatcher haha. So he has his hands full. Can't really fault him. Like you said, if he had to do one for whatever reason I know he would brush up before performing the service. When I asked him I caught him in passing in the middle of doing something...
I had a feeling. They are usually running all over the place multitasking. :lol: the only thing i see ours do as far as work is problem cars when no master techs are free, pdi on cars like the i8 or the occasional m car. Also assisting our diag team with problematic cars, like the plethora of leaking vert models.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yeah, they can't fault you for using something that meets Ford's own WSS-M2C931-B spec on the engine oil, which AMSOIL does or respective specs on any of the other fluids. I'm pretty sure it's illegal for them to require you to use their own fluids.
Which is just api, sn. :D

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
+1 on getting an oil change on a new car. another plus for using amsoil.

I bought a 5 year membership from amsoil and plan to use it for my bike and next car.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
Funny you mention this bc I had a long conversation with Jim technical customer service at Royal Purple about this when deciding which line of oil to go with (API licensed, HPS, or XPR). I decided to go with their HPS line. Which technically isn't API licensed due to its higher phosphorus content. Though it "exceeds" the API standard it can't be licensed bc it has more than the maximum aloud amount of phosphorus. Which I thought was weird bc it is better for engine wear. He told me they cap the phosphorus bc ever since OEM's were forced to extend the warranty on emissions equipment it was believed that higher phosphorus content could potentially lessen the life of catalytic converters. So since emissions warranty superseded power train warranties I guess OEM's were more concerned with not killing cats then using a better oil... I for one don't believe they would go through the trouble of doing an oil analysis to find out when trying to deny a claim, but who knows. And 2, I'm already tuned so trying to get a motor claim green lit due to type of oil would be a secondary battle once getting passed the tune argument. So I said fuck it and went with the better HPS line of Royal Purple lol...
Sponsored