10 speed - do I have a real problem

Paul Walter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul Waltet
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Does anyone with the 10 speed automatic find kind of jerky shifts. On take off the first two seem to hold in gear to long then as revs build then finally jerks into higher gears from then on its smooth as silk, I’ve red of 10 speed problems and of some saying previous 6 speed are stronger and more reliable. It’s a worry only done 8,000 kilometres
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Does anyone with the 10 speed automatic find kind of jerky shifts. On take off the first two seem to hold in gear to long then as revs build then finally jerks into higher gears from then on its smooth as silk, I’ve red of 10 speed problems and of some saying previous 6 speed are stronger and more reliable. It’s a worry only done 8,000 kilometres
The A10 is an awesome tranny but it has had its share of issues. Lots of threads in the transmission sub forum but here is the main one.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...tions-to-harsh-or-no-shift-conditions.135463/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/forums/transmission-drivetrain.69/

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
I only paddle shift my A10, I drive it on track and on road (primary use is track).
I try to never start out in 1st, it’s a super short gear with a delayed shit and has always been a really hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Once I’m at a complete stop, I always paddle into and start in 2nd. I think 5th is a hard shift too.
This is my first Ford in 25 years. I’m used to Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti and GM.
I just chocked the rough shifts up to a shitty trans design by Ford.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Little Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I only get what you describe in sport mode.

OP
OP

Paul Walter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul Waltet
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I only paddle shift my A10, I drive it on track and on road (primary use is track).
I try to never start out in 1st, it’s a super short gear with a delayed shit and has always been a really hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Once I’m at a complete stop, I always paddle into and start in 2nd. I think 5th is a hard shift too.
This is my first Ford in 25 years. I’m used to Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, Infiniti and GM.
I just chocked the rough shifts up to a shitty trans design by Ford.
Hi I try starting in 2nd but won’t start I have to get moving first is this normal or should I be able to paddle straight to 2nd do I need to be in sport then shift back to drive ?

Thanks

MLO 351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Select Sport with the shifter, so that the paddles are in full manual mode, when you are at a dead stop you will be able to select 2nd gear via the up paddle and take off in second. If the car is moving slightly you will remain locked into first gear until you reach a certain speed and then 2nd gear becomes selectable.
The key is to use S on the shifter and make sure you are at a full stop to select 2nd for start offs.

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I find the delay between paddle and shift is ridiculously slow. I have on many a occasion bounced off the Rev limiter when manual shifting as i failed to timeously paddle shift. You have to pull paddle at 5000rpm if you want to shift at 7000rpm when accelerating hard.
Wish they could program the box to not act like it’s on a walker !

OP
OP

Paul Walter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul Waltet
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Select Sport with the shifter, so that the paddles are in full manual mode, when you are at a dead stop you will be able to select 2nd gear via the up paddle and take off in second. If the car is moving slightly you will remain locked into first gear until you reach a certain speed and then 2nd gear becomes selectable.
The key is to use S on the shifter and make sure you are at a full stop to select 2nd for start offs.
Ok thanks

Sponsored

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, forgot to mention Sport mode. I’ve never driven in standard D mode because it doesn’t stay in manual shift mode for very long.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same behavior in anything higher than Sport mode. First gear would really wind out. I notice if you get on it, it will linger in gear. I assume it thinks you're gonna get on it again. I am now running a Cobb Stage 1 Oct 91 and it shifts perfectly now.

I even had a Ford service rep ask if I had a shift kit in it.

OP
OP

Paul Walter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul Waltet
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Hi I try starting in 2nd but won’t start I have to get moving first is this normal or should I be able to paddle straight to 2nd do I need to be in sport then shift back to drive ?

Thanks
I had the same behavior in anything higher than Sport mode. First gear would really wind out. I notice if you get on it, it will linger in gear. I assume it thinks you're gonna get on it again. I am now running a Cobb Stage 1 Oct 91 and it shifts perfectly now.

I even had a Ford service rep ask if I had a shift kit in it.
sorry I am new to Mustangs- what is a Cobb Stage 1 ICT 91 is it a transmission kit ? As I said I have no idea. Just 1st and 2nd stays in gear to long then tough jerk shift up. A friend has and Audi it is so smooth it feels like an electric car you can’t tell my car is as new

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I had transmission issues for 3 years. They finally did a TSB and part of it was valve body work. It took three years, but now I am happy with the shifts.

Richard

OP
OP

Paul Walter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul Waltet
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
sorry I am new to Mustangs- what is a Cobb Stage 1 ICT 91 is it a transmission kit ? As I said I have no idea. Just 1st and 2nd stays in gear to long then tough jerk shift up. A friend has and Audi it is so smooth it feels like an electric car you can’t tell my car is as new
I’m fairly disappointed it is 2022 and the transmission is substandard my V6 Holden Commodore shifts smoothly perfect every time it’s ten years old and done 200,000 kilometres
Sponsored