Michelin Update

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
@Tribefan, I really appreciate the input. These are definitely all concerns that are on my mind. I have struggled with this decision. All I can go on is what I read about the experience of others, which I've done A LOT of, until I make a decision and see it for myself.

I originally planned on going with Continental ExtremeContact Sport in 305/325 because they aren't as squared off as the 325 Michelin, but the 305 have been on back order for some time and still don't even have an estimated date.

I went with 295/305 PS4S because those tires on R-spec rims most closely match the geometry of the R-spec 305/315 Cup2s, when section width, tread width and rim width are all accounted for. Actually, they end up with a little less sidewall stretch than the 305/315 Cup2s. Billy Johnson also recommends them because their tread widths match the R-spec rim widths. I take your point on the sidewall stretch and affect on sidewall height. I actually did some math on the change in sidewall height due to stretching between a 295 and 305 PS4S on a 11" rim and came up with only 0.020". Yes, going to a 295 will result in a nominal 0.3" diameter decrease, 0.15" clearance, compared to the 305. And the FP springs will lower it some more...

I think in the end, I will be in the same boat as you. So, my question for you:

Despite the scraping, are you happy with your setup? Would you do anything differently?

Again, thanks for the input. Really appreciated.
No problem. Glad to provide the input. It sounds like you've done a good bit of research and am guessing you'll be happy with your finished product. I just hope for your sake you don't scrape worse than what I do. You may want to invest in some kind of splitter guards for the underside. I wish I had. A few of my splitter bolts underneath are scraped enough that I don't know if I'd be able to remove them very easily due to a lot of the depth to put the bit into to remove them has been scraped away and might not be enough material to grip with the bit.

I was considering taking my stock 305/35's from the rear wheels and putting them on the front wheels of my Signature set up, that way I'd recover some of that wheel gap and ground clearance. Only reason I'm not doing it is because I feel like the difference in the sidewall height and wheel gap might be too noticeable when compared to the rear wheels. Wish there was a 315/35 or 325/35 tire option I could use in the rear. :crying:

As far as my set up, I'm very happy with it, but I haven't tracked the car yet so I can only go by the semi-daily driving to work and back, along with trips to Tail of the Dragon and other NC mountain roads. I will say that the 325 pokes out a little in the rear, but not a lot. I would consider a 315 in the rear next time if it's offered. The only things I don't like about my set up are the increased wheel gap and the splitter scraping on all kinds of things it didn't use to.
Sponsored

Shelby666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Well, just got off the phone with a TireRack supervisor and I wanted to pass along some info for those with TireRack orders - They have only 20 tires available and 30 tires on order so the batch is already oversold meaning there will be some customers who won't get their tires. Be aware of this!

Predictably, no further production for this tire has been scheduled beyond the February batch (which is so small it sounds like Michelin sent whatever they had left over at the factory), so I think a lot of us will be stuck with 4S's.

I see many GT350 owners choosing to go with the Pilot 4S 305/30s all the way around - but if we have stock wheels, shouldn't we be going with the stock sizes of 295 front/305 rear? Or is there a reason people aren't doing that - like too much stretch due to the lower profile of the 4S?

Last edited:

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
OK, so now that I had decided to give the 4s"s a try, I went to the local Discount Tire to order them. When I first went to DT about a week ago and got a quote I was told the rears (305/35/19) would come in from Fla, the fronts (295/30/19) from CA, take about a week for the rears. Today NOT ONE of my rear options was available. 305/35/19 MSS, N/A, no future ETA. The 305/30/19 4S, N/A, no ETA, The 325/30/19 4S, N/A, no ETA. I rushed home and looked at the Tire Rack, none of these tires were listed as available. I called customer service; the truck load of (20) 305/35/19 MSS's were all sold. I asked about the 4S availability and they said they expected a load of 305/30/19's on Feb 7th, so I bought two (but it was not "guaranteed", they would let me know if any problem.developed in the meantime). This is a nightmare. Since I need fronts right now, I will go with the 4S's in front and hope the tires I bought from Tire Rack materialize. If they do not, guess I will have to run 295's all around. Really not happy, going to let Ford and Michelin both know about it in no uncertain terms.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
I originally planned on going with Continental ExtremeContact Sport in 305/325 because they aren't as squared off as the 325 Michelin, but the 305 have been on back order for some time and still don't even have an estimated date.
Late Feb or early March according to Discount Tire for 305. I also have a set on order.

bendensez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brendan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Late Feb or early March according to Discount Tire for 305. I also have a set on order.
Good to know. That's the same thing Tire Rack told me, but they warned me they were making an educated guess as Continental hadn't provided a date to them yet.

Sponsored

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Has anyone checked with the Ford Performance Racing School? I bought a set from them a few years ago for a good price.

Shelby666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Quick fitment question - I see many GT350 owners choosing to go with the Pilot 4S 305/30s all the way around - but if we have stock wheels, shouldn't we be going with the stock sizes of 295 front/305 rear? Or is there a reason people aren't doing that - like too much stretch due to the lower profile of the 4S?

19S550PP2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 301a PP2
Just want to note that 295/35 19 MPS4S are more narrow than 285/35.

OP
OP
RJay

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
Quick fitment question - I see many GT350 owners choosing to go with the Pilot 4S 305/30s all the way around - but if we have stock wheels, shouldn't we be going with the stock sizes of 295 front/305 rear? Or is there a reason people aren't doing that - like too much stretch due to the lower profile of the 4S?
If you have a base, your wheels are 10.5x19 (Front) and 11x19 (Rear). R's are 11x19 (Front) and 11.5x19 (Rear).

Looking at the OEM tires (SC2's) you can see what the recommended wheel sizes are:

Front Cup 2's.JPG

Rear Cup 2's.JPG

While the 295's will "fit" on any wheel between 10" and 11.5", the Measuring Rim Width (AKA - Design Rim Width) is the target width for that tire to meet its dimensional standards.

Same logic for the 305's in the rear.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=199

Sponsored

Shelby666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
UPDATE: Don't expect Ford to lift a finger to help us with this tire issue.

I finally got through to an American at Ford Motor Company. It took 3 phone calls and 4 days of waiting for a call back but I finally was able to talk to someone based in the US. I told them about the Michelin tire shortage (which they claim to know nothing about) and I was rudely told: "There's nothing we can do to influence the production schedule of Michelin or any other tire company. All I can do is document this event. We cannot call or contact Michelin about this issue."

So "not our problem, go suck wind" is the official position from Ford.

Good luck guys.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Since Michelin developed the PSC2s specifically for Ford Performance and the GT350/R, I would suspect they are channeling owners away from Michelin options in stock sizes to recoup the development cost of the PSC2s. I decided to keep the PSC2s until they need to be replaced. I expect only 2K miles / year so I hope to get 4 more years on them. Hopefully by then there will be other options on the market.

geepaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '15 WRX STI Launch Ed, '03 SVT Cobra (RIP)
Feel fortunate I got my rear PSS a couple
Of weeks ago. Luckily, the guy at America’s tire was wiling to do some research and found 2 in the south. No burnouts till I get a spare set in the garage.

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
I did 305’s all the way around but changed my rims. I couldn’t find any tire shops locally that would put 305 on the front rims.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just want to note that 295/35 19 MPS4S are more narrow than 285/35.
Meh, yes and no. The tread width is listed as slightly narrower (which I would think is a type-o), but look at the section width. It is not.

. I couldn’t find any tire shops locally that would put 305 on the front rims.
Did they say why? I’ve never understood this. I’ve never had a shop refuse to mount anything I’ve ever taken in.
Sponsored