honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Haha at 1:20 I see you're like me when approaching 150MPH on the road course letting off the skinny pedal. "Yeah, we're done." :crackup:

Road courses are some scary stuff.
Brakes were getting a bit old at that point (cracks in the rotors and little pad life), so I wasn't pushing hard. When really going for it, I can be full throttle all the way to the 150 marker (155-157 mph with good T11 exit), pull 1.5 braking Gs, and still make it with room to spare. But it sure lights up the rotors.

SV503 GT350 Brushed Bronze Tinted Honeybadger (23 of 26).jpg

So I was at Daytona for the Roar before the 24 and was surprised to see a Coyote 5.0 in the FP GT350. I asked about it and was told that the 5.2 doesn't have enough low end and while the 5.2 on the track is great, it's not competitive enough i.e. as durable do to the need to sustain a higher RPM in the torque band.

Makes sense.
Bit of misinformation there. The CPC is used because of BOP. They need the flattest torque/HP power curve (since it's averaged) and the best way for big engine cars to do that is through massive detuning. The FPC makes the best power up top, so it's main advantage can't be used. Therefore they went with the CPC.

The previous year they raced the FPC GT350RC and it destroyed everyone. Once BOP killed the power, the CPC made more sense.
Sponsored

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Bit of misinformation there. The CPC is used because of BOP. They need the flattest torque/HP power curve (since it's averaged) and the best way for big engine cars to do that is through massive detuning. The FPC makes the best power up top, so it's main advantage can't be used. Therefore they went with the CPC.

The previous year they raced the FPC GT350RC and it destroyed everyone. Once BOP killed the power, the CPC made more sense.

Indeed. All correct.

They went as far to use a 2011 - 2014 intake manifold right off the shelf to achieve that torque band and as much meat lower down the RPM band as possible. It holds its peak 450HP from 4500 - 7000RPM. For 2500 whole RPM. Peak power. That is some top quality angus meat right there. An OEM street gen 2 Coyote doesn't even hold 90% of its peak power for 1500 RPM.

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
More gears doesn't translate to better lap times. I hate bringing this one up but Randy Pobst shook down the ZL1 manual and automatic around Laguna Seca and the 6 speed........won.

What I DO think the GT350 is a great candidate for is a 7 speed manual.
i think the manual was faster than the 10 speed at the 'ring too. then again the ZL1 is supercharged where the wide torque curve isnt affected as much by the wider gear spacing of the manual.. compared to the torque of the voodoo.

OP
OP
NorthernBeast

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Brakes were getting a bit old at that point (cracks in the rotors and little pad life), so I wasn't pushing hard. When really going for it, I can be full throttle all the way to the 150 marker (155-157 mph with good T11 exit), pull 1.5 braking Gs, and still make it with room to spare. But it sure lights up the rotors.

SV503 GT350 Brushed Bronze Tinted Honeybadger (23 of 26).jpg

So much awesome in this picture...WOW

Sponsored

ebdbDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I dont profess to be an expert, but I would highly doubt that that transmission could handle spinning to 8250 RPM, while putting down that kind of power, without modification...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
then again the ZL1 is supercharged where the wide torque curve isnt affected as much by the wider gear spacing of the manual.. compared to the torque of the voodoo.
Nonsense. The GT350 drops EVERY gear except for 1st and 6th right into the meat of the power band. 2,3,4 AND 5 get dumped right over 6000RPM from redline when shifting from its previous gear. Everyone complains that the Voodoo doesn't take off until 5000RPM (which is also nonsense) and yet on the road course it's gearing terrifies every one of us owners when we're ripping up a road course. At 6000RPM, the Voodoo is putting the same power to the ground as a Gen 2 Coyote does at the crank. And it does nothing but generate more power all the way until the rev limiter says "no mas" where it only drops off a hair from 7500 - 8200 but basically holds max power. The ZL1 pretty much does the same thing in the TR6060 cars. In fact it generate max power closer to its redline than the Voodoo so the Voodoo by RPM volume actually hits max power before the LT4 does.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I dont profess to be an expert, but I would highly doubt that that transmission could handle spinning to 8250 RPM, while putting down that kind of power, without modification...
It would need to get some work on the clutch packs at minimum. Which is no biggie, there's clutch pack kits out there now but would have to be done nonetheless.

OP
OP
NorthernBeast

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Let's make this happen! Maybe find a wrecked 10R80 GT as a donor or wait until someone wrecks their new GT500 lol

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Would agree with the comments that the dual-clutch won't improve lap times by that much (maybe 1 sec at most). On my local tracks you basically never have to shift into 2nd and the vast majority of time is spent in 3rd and 4th. For a normally aspirated engine, the high displacement 5.2 is producing a good amount of torque at that RPM (more than a GT3 for example even when including gear multiplication). Not to mention the dual-clutch will add more weight (guess is 70-100 lbs), again negating some of effect of faster shifting.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI about the 10R80 vs the 10L90:

The Ford 10R80 and GM 10L90 is a collaborative effort and both use the same hardware... the software parameters are different.

I posted this very informative thread about the 10R80 and the 10L90 back in August 2018:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-and-gm-equivalent-10l90-good-reading.107942/

For those who want an excellent schooling of the 10R80 and 10L90 - it’s all there.
——

Here’s some fun reading for the straight line enthusiasts; here’s how the 10R80 can handle power:

I had posted this article about 1,433HP through an upgraded 10R80:
https://www.fordnxt.com/news/batten-motorsports-crushes-10r80-record-with-1433-rwhp/
blurb from article (and it’s in a 2019 S550)
“1,433 horsepower and 1,154 lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels on 28 psi of boost”

And here’s this very recent thread from an M6G member pulling a wheelie with a 10R80:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/well-i-did-a-huge-wheelie-with-a-10r80.134259/

——

I’m with the OP... a GT350+10R80 would be loads of killer fun....whether it would be auto x-ing or drag racing or the occasional blasts down deserted highways... :devil:

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Bringing this topic back up!
I would love to find out more about doing the 10r80 swap to a GT350. To me the GT350 Is the best looking Mustang yet. Better in my opinion than the 2020 GT500. I've been back and forth between making a 10r80 GT look like a GT350 but I hate the idea of it not actually being a Shelby and having to try to explain to people what it is and deal with those thinking I'm trying to pass it off. Ideally I want the real thing with a 10r80 in it. Due to lower back and left hip issues as well as a bad left knee a manual transmission just isn't going to work.
Anyway, does anyone know of anyone who has actually made the swap yet? Or even to a 6r80 (since the overall swap would be similar)?
My questions are more to do with the computer side of things. I'm guessing the GT350 computer would have to be changed out for a 10r80 GT computer. I don't know this for sure but I doubt the GT350 computer has the ability to control the transmission. If swapping computers, are there any features from the GT350 that would be lost? I would also want to swap to a paddle shift steering wheel. Hopefully a GT500 steering wheel would work as long as the actual paddle shift control board in the steering wheel is changed to a 10r80 control board. Then the question is, is there anything the 10r80 computer won't be able to do with the GT350 such as run the factory GT350 gauges? Would it be possible to simply piggy back a 10r80 computer with the GT350 computer so the only thing the 10r computer is doing is controlling all aspects of the transmission?
Tons of questions I know, I'm sure there are more to. I'm hoping others have dug into this a bit further and can answer some of the questions!
My fallback if this isn't possible is to get a 2018+ GT with 10r and use the GT350 style fenders from I-5 autohaus and eventually swap on a 2021 Mach 1 front bumper cover. Not really wanting to settle though.
Anybody else have any insight?
Thanks
Ken

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I LOVE my GT350 but after watching the GT500 I can't but help wonder how wild an 8,250RPM Voodoo with a 10R80 banging gears out without ever dropping below 7,000RPM would feel.
Sorry but the 10r80 wouldn't survive.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Reading thru this thread and watched the video... which of course leads to other videos, and I came across this GREAT YouTube video:

Honeybadger is one hell of a talented driver.... and pretty good at making Youtube videos.
Well done Kevin...!!!
Sponsored