10R80 swap into GT350 would create a track monster. PMW

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hear me out for a minute.

I LOVE my GT350 but after watching the GT500 I can't but help wonder how wild an 8,250RPM Voodoo with a 10R80 banging gears out without ever dropping below 7,000RPM would feel. This is what a 911GT3/RS achieves in essence. The tranny can handle it as evidenced by being in the ZL1 1LE which has more HP and TQ. The Voodoo is amazing with a Manual but is asking for a DCT or 10R80 to fully unlock its potential on track. I bet it would shave 2-3 seconds off a lap time given the character of the car already being suited to it.

If any shops out there want me to guinea pig it I'll donate the car. I'm sure we could find a GT 10R80 owner that's willing to swap for a Manual tranny
Sponsored

Mr.Mustang_55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
German
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 and 2018 Nissan Rogue
Vehicle Showcase
Dude I’ve been thinking about this for a while i really want to buy a gt350 and swap the 10R80

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't think the Voodoo would last if you effectively kept it above 6500 RPM to be honest. That's a lot of stress on a motor not built for it. The motor's tolerances and parts quality are built for 3.5-8k variation. Sustaining the top end of that range will prematurely wear it out IMHO.

That said, I plan to put a sequential in mine and refine a motor to handle it - someday :)

OP
OP
NorthernBeast

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I
I don't think the Voodoo would last if you effectively kept it above 6500 RPM to be honest. That's a lot of stress on a motor not built for it. The motor's tolerances and parts quality are built for 3.5-8k variation. Sustaining the top end of that range will prematurely wear it out IMHO.

That said, I plan to put a sequential in mine and refine a motor to handle it - someday :)
I see what you're saying but we can all dream. A sequential would a lot of fun, and you've already built your motor to likely handle that or even the increased sustained RPM of a 10R80 I would imagine?

I'm also thinking that if the 2018+ GT's 5.0 can handle being matched with a 10R80 and revving to 7,500RPM why wouldn't the GT350's forged parts be able to handle the same? Sure it revs higher at the top but I would think that if the non-forged 5.0 can handle it so should the Voodoo?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I

I see what you're saying but we can all dream. A sequential would a lot of fun, and you've already built your motor to likely handle that or even the increased sustained RPM of a 10R80 I would imagine?

I'm also thinking that if the 2018+ GT's 5.0 can handle being matched with a 10R80 and revving to 7,500RPM why wouldn't the GT350's forged parts be able to handle the same? Sure it revs higher at the top but I would think that if the non-forged 5.0 can handle it so should the Voodoo?
I think the question to both a 5.0 and a 5.2 FPC is "how long" will it last vs. if it could do it. A gent over on TMO converted his 5.2 into CPC and has been racing it in NASA's ST2 class. He got ~60 hours out of his ROUSH-built racing engine before #8 failed the leakdown tests. He has his car dialed and rarely dropped below 6k rpm (ran it up to 8200 IIRC). So even the CPC isn't going to help much at those high of RPM.

The difference in heat and stress between 7500 and ~8200 seems to be pretty extreme. When I go sequential, I plan to do a ton of stuff to the engine to help it (beyond what I've already done). We'll pull every ounce we can out of the engine to reduce stress and balance it from dampener to flywheel. Even then, I'll bet it doesn't last more than 40-60 hours before a re-build is a good idea.

I'm sure the 10R80 + Voodoo would be fine on the street and even work well for Novice-Intermediate track days. Start getting into competition-level situations, and you'll not only dramatically decrease engine life, you'll also likely deal with overheating issues in the trans. A couple of the 10R80 guys that push their PP2 cars hard have had a hell of a time keeping them cool.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
More gears doesn't translate to better lap times. I hate bringing this one up but Randy Pobst shook down the ZL1 manual and automatic around Laguna Seca and the 6 speed........won.

What I DO think the GT350 is a great candidate for is a 7 speed manual.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The tranny can handle it as evidenced by being in the ZL1 1LE which has more HP and TQ.

The ZL1 uses an uprated version of the GM 10Lxx. It's the 10L90 with stronger clutch packs, revised software, and more robust planetary sets. A Ford 10R80 would probably be fine for a while but those sustained RPM I'd wonder how long the clutch packs would last. You'd be amazed at how fast RPM can start killing components sometimes even faster than power, from rotating assembly all the way to driveshaft yokes.

OP
OP
NorthernBeast

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to check
I think the question to both a 5.0 and a 5.2 FPC is "how long" will it last vs. if it could do it. A gent over on TMO converted his 5.2 into CPC and has been racing it in NASA's ST2 class. He got ~60 hours out of his ROUSH-built racing engine before #8 failed the leakdown tests. He has his car dialed and rarely dropped below 6k rpm (ran it up to 8200 IIRC). So even the CPC isn't going to help much at those high of RPM.

The difference in heat and stress between 7500 and ~8200 seems to be pretty extreme. When I go sequential, I plan to do a ton of stuff to the engine to help it (beyond what I've already done). We'll pull every ounce we can out of the engine to reduce stress and balance it from dampener to flywheel. Even then, I'll bet it doesn't last more than 40-60 hours before a re-build is a good idea.

I'm sure the 10R80 + Voodoo would be fine on the street and even work well for Novice-Intermediate track days. Start getting into competition-level situations, and you'll not only dramatically decrease engine life, you'll also likely deal with overheating issues in the trans. A couple of the 10R80 guys that push their PP2 cars hard have had a hell of a time keeping them cool.
out my YouTube (same name as on here) I have videos of my 2018 GT 10R80 going wide open on track during a few different track days I went to. I would fill up and go until the tank ran empty which usually meant (3) 15-20 minute sessions. I was lucky enough not to encounter any over heating. I had the car set up pretty nicely for what I was looking to get out of it but always knew if I wanted to push it any further I would need to make a lot of expensive upgrades (all cooling, 2-piece rotor upgrade, etc). That is what ultimately led me to get my GT350.

It's my experience with the 10R80 on track and my now experience with the GT350 that makes me really want to combine the two.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Yep, all of this.

Kev, you plan on doing a crossover cooling modification?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you want to check

out my YouTube (same name as on here) I have videos of my 2018 GT 10R80 going wide open on track during a few different track days I went to. I would fill up and go until the tank ran empty which usually meant (3) 15-20 minute sessions. I was lucky enough not to encounter any over heating. I had the car set up pretty nicely for what I was looking to get out of it but always knew if I wanted to push it any further I would need to make a lot of expensive upgrades (all cooling, 2-piece rotor upgrade, etc). That is what ultimately led me to get my GT350.

It's my experience with the 10R80 on track and my now experience with the GT350 that makes me really want to combine the two.
Nice sounding car. Being able to shift that fast sure would help me drop my lap times :)

That said, it'll definitely become more of a problem as you push the car harder. (2) years ago I couldn't overheat the GT350. Now after lots familiarity, seat time and some highly valuable coaching (highly recommend), I can wreak havoc on one at COTA. Even being nice to the motor here on an 80* day, I still managed water temps 225-235. That's with all of my ducting and cooling too.

Not saying it can't be done. And hell, I'd love to see it done. Everyone told me building the voodoo was a terrible idea. Turned out they were right....from a cost perspective. Once they hear it/experience it, most folks have just laughed and called me a maniac. I'll take that as a win :D

I say do it

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Kev, you plan on doing a crossover cooling modification?
Yeah. I got myself a kit to see if it helps. Have some evidence that #8 was still running too hot

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Everyone told me building the voodoo was a terrible idea. Turned out they were right....from a cost perspective. Once they hear it/experience it, most folks have just laughed and called me a maniac. I'll take that as a win :D
Considering you're making Huracan power from some American "trash can", they can definitely cram it lol.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Haha at 1:20 I see you're like me when approaching 150MPH on the road course letting off the skinny pedal. "Yeah, we're done." :crackup:

Road courses are some scary stuff.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
DCT.....

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
So I was at Daytona for the Roar before the 24 and was surprised to see a Coyote 5.0 in the FP GT350. I asked about it and was told that the 5.2 doesn't have enough low end and while the 5.2 on the track is great, it's not competitive enough i.e. as durable do to the need to sustain a higher RPM in the torque band.

Makes sense.
Sponsored