Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yep.. And here in Florida we have ZERO TAX CREDIT for EV's... Go Figure..
This will help in determining if your state has a tax credit. SC does not.

https://www.energysage.com/electric-vehicles/costs-and-benefits-evs/ev-tax-credits/
I think you guys are confusing the FEDERAL $7,500 tax credit with additional STATE credits that some states have put in place. California, Colorado, Georgia, and a few other states that I’m too lazy to look up have credits and rebates in addition to the Federal credit. The Federal Credit applies in all 50 states. And maybe even Puerto Rico.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
:cwl:
Yup. I think I was editing while you were posting. :blush: Copied a page out of the press material for clarity. The language for the $7,500 credit has been the same since that started in 2010.
:cwl::handshake:

Yep - cross threaded LOL...

The point I’m trying to make is the $7,500.00 tax credit is misleading for those that aren’t reading through all of the material. So someone that thinks oh hey, MSRP for the “ME GT” is $60k, but oh wait, I’ll get $7,500.00 off” - there’s just no guarantee everyone will get a bite of the MAX allowable credit.

So I just hope those making the plunge - be it this thing or any other EV from any Manufacturer is reading all of the fine print... and don’t get to the signing table in 2021 and be like “oh F***, I didn’t know that and I’m not budgeted for that amount of money” after taxes/fees and all of the hidden “add ons” found in all the small disclaimers all over that ME site.

Ford also keeps showing the 2-tone interior - as if it available on all models of the ME - it isn’t. Standard is black interior up until you rack up into the higher ME models such as the “MEGT”...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
That $7,500.00 is the MAX allowable credit - there’s no guarantee that everyone will get or qualify for the MAX allowable credit.
not to mention if the car won't be avail till 2021, so 2020 tax law doesn't apply. These subsidies properly belong in the waste bin of BAD ideas and are actually set to expire. I'm sure there will be furious lobbying by the automakers to allow their gravy train to continue unabated. There is nothing so similar to eternal life on this planet like a federal subsidy/program. If Ford et. al. want to encourage EV adoption the solution is simple - price it where consumers will choose it on their own volition. IF there is to be a 'subsidy' it should be a credit against *manufacturer* R&D to lower their overall tax liability.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Yup. I think I was editing while you were posting. :blush: Copied a page out of the press material for clarity. The language for the $7,500 credit has been the same since that started in 2010.

There are differences in how much the car is eligible for, depending on size of battery and battery range. Mach E qualifies for 100% of the $7,500. For some people, their tax bracket situation may alter how much of it they actually see. Everyone I know who has bought an EV and some Plug-in Hybrids have qualified for the entire $7,500.

Including me. Twice.
Your tax liability has to be more then the tax credit in order to receive the full amount. So if you are someone who owes taxes at the end of the year, your owed amount will decrease by the credit amount. Likewise, if you usually get a refund check at the end of the year, your check should go up the amount of the credit.

Pretty much everyone that should be looking at a Mach E should qualify for the full credit. Now once Ford hits 200k EVs sold, that credit starts getting phased out. My Tesla is only eligible for a $1875 credit has they hit the cap early last year.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

I think you guys are confusing the FEDERAL $7,500 tax credit with additional STATE credits that some states have put in place. California, Colorado, Georgia, and a few other states that I’m too lazy to look up have credits and rebates in addition to the Federal credit. The Federal Credit applies in all 50 states. And maybe even Puerto Rico.
You are correct.
However on the federal side there is one caveat..

This tax credit has a “phase out” built into the program that is dependent on the manufacturer of the car. The phase out will kick in at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after a manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible AEVs and/or PHEVs. Most electric cars are still eligible for this tax credit. The phase out for this tax credit for vehicles purchased from these manufacturers will not be occurring anytime soon.

Of note, Tesla cars are no longer eligible for the full incentive. Only vehicles delivered by December 31, 3018 received the full credit. Vehicles delivered before June 30, 2019 received a credit of $3,750, those delivered between July 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 will receive $1,875, and beyond that timeline no credit is available for Tesla.

Plus we make to much money so that measly $7500 credit will not even impact our IRS tax filing. We still will have to pay. lol

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
What Ford has done with the Mach E isn't really much different than what Porsche did when it introduced the Cayenne and Macan SUVs. Sales of true Porsches: 911's, Caymans, and Boxsters, weren't really effected. Porsche brought more people to their brand by widening the buying audience beyond sports car buyers.

Personally, I don't really understand why people like "performance SUV's". An SUV is a utility, I have one to haul things, pets, and people. I want it to do those things well. I have a Mustang to drive for performance.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
You are correct.
However on the federal side there is one caveat..

This tax credit has a “phase out” built into the program that is dependent on the manufacturer of the car. The phase out will kick in at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after a manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible AEVs and/or PHEVs. Most electric cars are still eligible for this tax credit. The phase out for this tax credit for vehicles purchased from these manufacturers will not be occurring anytime soon.

Of note, Tesla cars are no longer eligible for the full incentive. Only vehicles delivered by December 31, 3018 received the full credit. Vehicles delivered before June 30, 2019 received a credit of $3,750, those delivered between July 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019 will receive $1,875, and beyond that timeline no credit is available for Tesla.
The whole credit as it stands is crazy to me. It basically penalizes companies that were first to market with EVs while those that lag behind get the benefits. They either need to remove the credit all together or re-write it to not penalize first to market companies.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Mustang Mach-E is not a cheap vehicle. The ME GT cost more than the GT350 did, when released. And will out accelerate it, with 4 people in the car.

95% of the people will qualify for the $7,500 federal rebate. I don't see it as an argument. What IS debatable is why Ford engineers choose to put the Center Display so high up on the dash, and so close to the driver.

Deleted member 35786

The whole credit as it stands is crazy to me. It basically penalizes companies that were first to market with EVs while those that lag behind get the benefits. They either need to remove the credit all together or re-write it to not penalize first to market companies.
Unfortunately our current govt does not believe or want clean cars... sooo Until congress passes some new legislation we are stuck with what we have.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
What Ford has done with the Mach E isn't really much different than what Porsche did when it introduced the Cayenne and Macan SUVs. Sales of true Porsches: 911's, Caymans, and Boxsters, weren't really effected. Porsche brought more people to their brand by widening the buying audience beyond sports car buyers.

Personally, I don't really understand why people like "performance SUV's". An SUV is a utility, I have one to haul things, pets, and people. I want it to do those things well. I have a Mustang to drive for performance.
But Porsche, wisely, didn't call the Cayenne something like 911 E-SportCross. No dilution of the legend.

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
Except Porsche didn't say, here's the 911 something-E and then showed us an SUV. The Panamera and SUV's are their own models..

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I would have to disagree with that. It actually was intended to and did work the opposite way.

The companies that got in first (Tesla, GM, Nissan), when costs were higher, got to subsidize some of their costs by making their vehicles more cost efficient through learning curve improvement. The companies that are coming in late are starting out at the high end of the learning curve while the early starters are introducing 2nd and 3rd generation product at lower cost. So while the pricing might be similar, the Tesla / GM / Nissan and I’ll even include Volkswagen group into this group, are closer to breaking even on the sales of their products.

The whole point of the incentive was to reduce the concern of automakers of investing in an expensive technology and not being able to price it in a manner that allowed them to recover cost, let alone make a profit. Notice that when the incentive got cut in half for Tesla, they reduced their prices on some models. Because they could.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I despise the giant touchscreen in the dash of my new F150, and it's a fraction of the monstrosity in this....thing.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
No change because 1. they're different cars and 2. I already have a mustang lol.

However, from a design perspective, they did a very nice job on the exterior design. It's emotive, sensual and shows strength in all the right areas. I can see
this being a great business case for FoMoCo. I mean electrification is the trend of personal motoring. Plus, taking a bite out
of Tesla's market also sounds interesting as the model undercuts their product's pricing and this is what Ford does, bring motoring to the masses.

Remember the first gen explorer? Ford KILLED IT with that product offering. I'm sure there was some clucking but it made the cash register go cha-ching.

I applaud what they are doing. I personally wish they left the pony out of it but they did a great job in creating buzz (positive and negative) and now the
whole world knows that there's a new product on the market. Cha-ching!

Hell, if it can tow the track car I might seriously consider it. I love my explorer though...
Sponsored