honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks for the info. Should we all be using Amsoil 15w50?
I'd stick with a 5W-50 oil for street. 15w is pretty heavy when cold - bit too much for street use.

I'm not really the one to ask, but I think he chose that for his specific build and purpose (dedicated track car). I would assume for a street car you'd want to continue to run 5W-50
Correct. Dominator is higher in Zinc and much better at not shearing than a traditional street oil.

Stay 5w50.
Agreed

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Here's a preliminary list to get you started. There's so many little bits and bobs that I didn't include (such using ARP bolts -- I think I invested $800 in bolts alone). I can build out a bigger spreadsheet at some point if ya'll are interested in that level of depth.

Option 1 – OEM rotating assembly refresh

· Bearings – $160 ($15-20 per cylinder)

· Pistons – $1,200 ($110-200 per piston)

· Piston Rings – $280 ($35 per cylinder)

· Piston pin - $80

· Chain guides + tensioner arms - $70

· Secondary timing chain tensioner - $60 ($30 each)

· Timing chains - $110

Parts from Autonation

Total: $2,000

Option 2 – Reliability upgrades for valve train

· MMR billet chain guides kit - $399

· MMR billet chain tensioners - $229

· Ford Performance upgrade secondary tensioners - $99

· Ford Performance FP350S Valve Train upgrade kit - $1,699 (includes solid steel valves, stiffer PAC racing springs, bronze guides, and Ti retainers)

· Boundary OPG/Crank Sprocket - $300

Total: $2,726

First of note - it was recommend to me by 2 builders NOT to hone this block because of the plasma arc coating. If it's in good shape and your rings/pistons aren't screwed, just replace bearings, screws, opg, etc. and go. If the cylinder walls are toast, get a new block or sleeve your current one.

You'll also note that I didn't include aftermarket pistons or rods. I am running Carillo billet rods and custom Diamond pistons, but I wouldn't go this far without doing major block work purely because the OEM stuff is already forged and I didn't think the gains were worth it unless going full out.

Finally, in regards to the valve train stuff:
I'm WELL aware of MMR's rep and peoples' opinion about them. However, these *particular* parts seem very well made and I'm very impressed with them. They're in my motor and I am very happy with them.

Second, if your engine is going to see track abuse and you've already voided your warranty - MAKE THESE UPGRADES. The most common issues I've seen at the track are oil and valve train related. The OEM valve springs are adequate, but they're not "I'll-bet-my-20k-motor-on-them-good. Same goes with timing components. If any of this fails at high rpm, it will grenade the entire engine. Not worth the risk IMHO.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Here's a preliminary list to get you started. There's so many little bits and bobs that I didn't include (such using ARP bolts -- I think I invested $800 in bolts alone). I can build out a bigger spreadsheet at some point if ya'll are interested in that level of depth.

· Piston pin - $80

· Timing chains - $110

Parts from Autonation

· Ford Performance FP350S Valve Train upgrade kit - $1,699 (includes solid steel valves, stiffer PAC racing springs, bronze guides, and Ti retainers)

First of note - it was recommend to me by 2 builders NOT to hone this block because of the plasma arc coating. If it's in good shape and your rings/pistons aren't screwed, just replace bearings, screws, opg, etc. and go. If the cylinder walls are toast, get a new block or sleeve your current one.

You'll also note that I didn't include aftermarket pistons or rods. I am running Carillo billet rods and custom Diamond pistons, but I wouldn't go this far without doing major block work purely because the OEM stuff is already forged and I didn't think the gains were worth it unless going full out.

I'm WELL aware of MMR's rep and peoples' opinion about them. However, these *particular* parts seem very well made and I'm very impressed with them. They're in my motor and I am very happy with them.

Second, if your engine is going to see track abuse and you've already voided your warranty - MAKE THESE UPGRADES. The most common issues I've seen at the track are oil and valve train related. The OEM valve springs are adequate, but they're not "I'll-bet-my-20k-motor-on-them-good. Same goes with timing components. If any of this fails at high rpm, it will grenade the entire engine. Not worth the risk IMHO.
Nice list, thanks for sharing. How much power are you making? Got a dyno sheet? (If that's too personal because you are racing, I understand.)

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Billet aluminum rods?

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Nice list, thanks for sharing. How much power are you making? Got a dyno sheet? (If that's too personal because you are racing, I understand.)
The engine makes ~540whp on e85 on a conservative tune (it never goes above 28* of timing). We have tunes for E85, 100 octane, and 93. Run E85% over 90% of the time since it's cheap and burns so clean. Really just put 100 in when I want to "clear it" of moisture.

Here's a couple dyno graphs from break-in day.

upload_2019-10-8_9-47-17.png

Billet aluminum rods?
Arghh, I never get it right the first time. They're Callie billet rods (steel). View attachment 401323

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What I find amazing is how you were able to get that awful torque dip in the 3000RPM range out of the torque curve and it's so smooth.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
How often do you expect to have to change out the Ti valve retainers?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What I find amazing is how you were able to get that awful torque dip in the 3000RPM range out of the torque curve and it's so smooth.
You definitely feel it. Worth it for sure. Motor is buttery smooth and ultra responsive. Perfect for track use.

How often do you expect to have to change out the Ti valve retainers?
They recommend once a season.

Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
They recommend once a season.
Yeah that's why I was wondering whether you were going to go through the pain of swapping retainers every season haha.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

· Piston pin - $80

· Timing chains - $110

Parts from Autonation

@honeybadger . Thanks again for being such a pioneer . I have screen shot for future reference .

If you are planning to go FI I would suggest at least upgrading the rods .Even though are a “forged” I did bend a couple running a Gen 5 whipple and 3.5 pulley . I know others have not had issues at higher boost levels but might as well since no additional labor and the Voodoo specific Manley rods (rated at >750 hp with 2000 bolts ) are cheap .
Also note Ford changed the design of the pistons for 2019 and the stock pistons now cost a lot more .....so much you might as well upgrade .
Rings are also no longer available for the older version pistons .

I sent Will @ RPG Tunning my long block and its going back into the car as we speak with upgraded clutch .
Block had to be sleeved and was rebuild with diamond pistons and Manley rods.
Heads have New valves , upgraded PAC springs and ARP head studs
Engine already had upgraded OPG/CS .
Total cost a lot less than you would think .
200DB227-F3E8-479F-B8E3-82CF1A38EFE2.jpeg
69CBB6CB-428A-4EF9-A541-99E00BE4AA4A.jpeg
AAB2213E-70A4-4E0D-9BA7-31C42E01A212.png

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I am also in the process of planning a “spare” build .
I got a quote for $3K sending a “spare “ complete engine I have for a rod upgrade but I would also at least upgrade the springs

I also have a rotating assembly ./crank/heads/cams I may send to assemble into a long block (with upgraded rods -( may be I will do the ultralight rods in that one )
I want to use new predator block as starting platform since it has all the upgrades for the GT500/Boost .
I would have liked to also use the Gen 2 heads but have to draw the line somewhere . Lol
Sponsored