Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
FCB & Earl: Thanks for the info.

FCB: Another stupid question...what's a BAP? I THINK I get the "volume" part of the equation that you mentioned. But can you give me an example of the ratio of something like MS109 in your G5 or what you think it might be with the G6? That is, a quarter of a tank? Half?

Earl: Not that I care so much about gas mileage but that graphic definitely shows how much more inefficient it is than regular. But, I see the price/gal reflects that inefficiency. I have honestly never been to a station that has it but they're around.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
FCB & Earl: Thanks for the info.

FCB: Another stupid question...what's a BAP? I THINK I get the "volume" part of the equation that you mentioned. But can you give me an example of the ratio of something like MS109 in your G5 or what you think it might be with the G6? That is, a quarter of a tank? Half?

Earl: Not that I care so much about gas mileage but that graphic definitely shows how much more inefficient it is than regular. But, I see the price/gal reflects that inefficiency. I have honestly never been to a station that has it but they're around.
Kent, BAP stands for Boost-A-Pump

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
V and Earl: Thanks for the insight but I'm curious about E85 requiring 33 percent more fuel. Is the trade off more horsepower?
Yes, so to get equal power, 30% more fuel. So the lines pumps and injectors have to have room to flow more volume.

V: Thanks for the great advice. What mix ratio do you recommend? (5 gallons and top off with 91?) Also, what’s the shelf life? Is it better to buy it in 5 gallon or 30 gallon quantities?
I cant tell you off my head, but there are o line calculators to find out

V: My own thanks for that valuable tip and of course, as a "waxer," <chuckling> I didn't know what MS109 was. Now I do.

93 is still readily available in South Texas so I too am interested in your recommendation on ratios. In my case, simple, hard, street driving using 93.

For less than twenty bones per gallon, if the ratio is decent, that wouldn't be THAT much more in fuel costs. But, like Big John, I wonder about the life longevity when buying five gallons.

Thanks in advance...
In TX and with 93 available, id suggest water/methanol injection. Much cheaper and benefits go directly toward what you specifically need to fight, heat

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
V: First I've heard of that in a street car and it makes me think of the old days when the rail guys started using methanol. Is this mod complicated? Expensive? Easy to maintain? But obviously, my E85 questions have opened a Pandora's box. :-)

Sponsored

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Did I miss a memo? 91 should be fine for this car, it's sold nationwide after all and there are entire states like California where only 91 is available. Can the engine even tell the difference between 93 and 91? Does it have a sensor/timing adjustment capability?

OP
OP
Big John

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
V: Thanks again, I should have realized there were octane calculators online. Looks like you get a two point bump for every 3 gallons of MS 109 added.
49C5D48E-EE0F-4966-B67F-6D7710C717C2.png

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
John: Thanks for that. I went to the site and did essentially the same calculation but I have 93 available. The results were nearly identical to yours and it clearly points out the fact that you need quite a bit of aftermarket fuel to achieve these final octane results. Not something I want to do with every tank of gas. Maybe V's suggestion to use water/methanol is a better solution, no pun intended. :-)

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
V: First I've heard of that in a street car and it makes me think of the old days when the rail guys started using methanol. Is this mod complicated? Expensive? Easy to maintain? But obviously, my E85 questions have opened a Pandora's box. :-)
Quality parts go a long way.
Progressive methanol controller ( allows for ramping up spray amount based on boost pressure ie 10% @4psi, 100%@ 10 psi, high/low flow situations etc)
2.5g or larger tank
Pump
Lines
Fittings

The controller probably costs as much as the entire rest of items. Probably $700 total i think, its been a while since I've bought parts

Easiest way for a beginner is to buy a kit. Guys like me can save $ by piecing together

I dont suggest doing water injection if doing e85, its not wrong, but pointless, to me

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Once again, most excellent advice, V...many thanks. While I used to rebuild my own Chevy and MOPAR motors, these days, "kits" suit me just fine. :-) Obviously, there's no room for the tank up front so does it go in the trunk like a nitrous rig?

Edit: OMT...can a system like this be used "on demand?"

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Once again, most excellent advice, V...many thanks. While I used to rebuild my own Chevy and MOPAR motors, these days, "kits" suit me just fine. :-) Obviously, there's no room for the tank up front so does it go in the trunk like a nitrous rig?

Edit: OMT...can a system like this be used "on demand?"
You can mount different size tanks in different places. I believe someone already has a hidden tank available for the regular mustangs.

Methanol is highly flammable, which is why people usually dont run above 50/50 water meth. It burns clear so you would never know. You can run straight distilled water, or windshield washer fluid, which is 70/30 water meth, and has a blue colored tint, making it easy to see any leaks

You can set it up anyway you want, if you have a shop do it.
To me, if you want it on demand, you would still get a controller to spray progressive, and then an additional switch to turn that controller on/off at will.

It seems the car as upfitter switches already so should be easy.

Scenario would be switch off, you get nothing, controller is off, no spray at all.
Switch on, controller has power and sprays % at the preset values

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
V: Wow, that's a TON of info, THANKS but I wondered about the fire hazard, now I know. Definitely too risky for this old geezer so I guess I'll have to live with MS109 or Sunoco's product. Who's old enough to remember Sunoco's "Dial an Octane?" :-) My teenage hot rod would only run on Sunoco 260 and it ran HOT.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
V: Wow, that's a TON of info, THANKS but I wondered about the fire hazard, now I know. Definitely too risky for this old geezer so I guess I'll have to live with MS109 or Sunoco's product. Who's old enough to remember Sunoco's "Dial an Octane?" :-) My teenage hot rod would only run on Sunoco 260 and it ran HOT.
WW fluid is extremely safe, and again, straight water will add octane ( water cant combust) and cooling benefits. After initial purchase cost, will be much cheaper over the life of the car

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
]
Methanol is highly flammable, which is why people usually don't run above 50/50 water meth. It burns clear so you would never know. You can run straight distilled water, or windshield washer fluid, which is 70/30 water meth, and has a blue colored tint, making it easy to see any leaks
The reason people use methanol is because it is less flammable than gasoline. The flash point for gasoline is -45Âş F, the flash point of Methanol is 51Âş F.
The flash point of a chemical substance is the lowest temperature where enough fluid can evaporate to form a combustible concentration of gas.
Sponsored