Sponsored

New Embargo'd Aero/Cooling Info- Released today.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I think speed limits on high performance cars are lame. High performance cars are all about freedom. To limit the GT500 to 180 mph is taking away its freedom to perform to its potential. Now if Ford is really putting some deep rear gears in the GT500 like a 4.56 or 4.88 and as a result top end is limited to 180 mph, I would be for that.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
So the CF Track package wing can add up to 550 pounds of rear downforce at 180mph. The ZL1 1LE rear wing is said to have 300 pounds of downforce at 150mph. I wonder what the number for the 1LE would be at the 180mph figure...
Also true, the ZLE is not meant for top end. The parachute of a wing it has slows it down to about 185, I think. The regular ZL1 is the 200mph bird.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
10s aren’t that special anymore when you have guys with bolt one gen 3 cars running them without issue. The GT500 should of came out 2 years ago. We shall see
10s aren't that special anymore because bolt on pony cars are scratching that number. But what people fail to realize. Is they are hitting that number with a gutted interior. And slicks and skinnies. The GT500 will run that time on street tires and a full luxury interior. No f%^king around with removing seats and bolting on the slicks and skinnies every time you go to the track. Also it'll be able to handle a curve. Where the gutted GT will just fly off the road. Nothing in this class is sniffing low tens and trapping 137! ZL1 Camaros are low to mid 11 second cars trapping 125. Hellcats are high 10-low 11 second cars trapping 127. Even the current super Vette ZR1 is only a high 10 second car. And it cost 130 grand.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I used to own a GT500 and the first thing everyone does is pulley, CAI, and tune it That said, I'm not sure that the 180mph limit is that big of a deal, since any aftermarket tune is going to remove that limit anyway.
Along with your engine warranty.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Also true, the ZLE is not meant for top end. The parachute of a wing it has slows it down to about 185, I think. The regular ZL1 is the 200mph bird.
Thought it was even lower than that. If I remember right it was topped out at about 170 on the Nurburgring back straight.

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Along with your engine warranty.
I never needed any warranty work done on the engine. But if you absolutely had to, just take 30 minutes to replace the stock parts before bringing it to the shop. Problem solved.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I never needed any warranty work done on the engine. But if you absolutely had to, just take 30 minutes to replace the stock parts before bringing it to the shop. Problem solved.
Don't know how Ford is, but GM can see that the ECM was flashed and will deny warranty based on that.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Thought it was even lower than that. If I remember right it was topped out at about 170 on the Nurburgring back straight.
Yep, you are right....pretty close

upload_2019-3-14_14-2-54.png

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also, street cars with bolt ons won't be able to run all day at that power level without overheating. One or two passes with plenty of time between, sure, but lapping a road course for 20 minutes at a time with 700hp _requires_ all that extra attention to the cooling system, which you average bolt on car just doesn't have.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Yeah ok.
It’s not that easy. We know what to look for and we’re smarter than you.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Not quite that simple.

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
Yep, you are right....pretty close

upload_2019-3-14_14-2-54.png
Hey, I know that guy driving! (No it's not me)

But realistically, why would top speed matter? The only time I could see top speed being an issue is if you are actually hitting it on a track, and other than Nurburgring, are there that many tracks you can get up to that speed? I know the old GT500 had the 200 top speed and the Charger hellcat had the 200 top speed, but also from what I read, I feel like these are more gimmicky to just be able to say we could do it. I know some people have changed out the rear gears on the hellcat because they are just too long and were used to be able to get that 200 top speed. But, that also could just be a persons personal preference. And unless you are doing 1/2 mile or mile events, you probably don't need much more than 180.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hey, I know that guy driving! (No it's not me)

But realistically, why would top speed matter? The only time I could see top speed being an issue is if you are actually hitting it on a track, and other than Nurburgring, are there that many tracks you can get up to that speed? I know the old GT500 had the 200 top speed and the Charger hellcat had the 200 top speed, but also from what I read, I feel like these are more gimmicky to just be able to say we could do it. I know some people have changed out the rear gears on the hellcat because they are just too long and were used to be able to get that 200 top speed. But, that also could just be a persons personal preference. And unless you are doing 1/2 mile or mile events, you probably don't need much more than 180.
On a small track where you cant get to top speed, it wouldn't matter. However the track I frequent, it does matter. I agree, it is not the end of the world, but the whole concept of limiting top speed for the sake of equality among the various models of the 500 (or some legal teams development input) leaves me scratching my head. I would buy the track CF package even if it was slower.

Back to why top speed matters (IMHO)…. The 500 will have much greater acceleration and it could get to top speed faster. If you had the real estate (longer stretches), you could accelerate to a faster top speed and reduce lap times. The faster you go and the quicker you get there takes the long stretch variable out of the lap time equation. The inside course (or road course) portion of driving would have to rely on the maneuvering and handling charicteristics to bring the lap times down. The two together (rapid acceleration to top end speed, and a highly maneuverable road course car) could significantly reduce lap times overall.

So again, on fast flat out tracks like VIR, Daytona, and NĂĽrburgring, top end speed is definitely part of the equation. I could live with 180 though. If/when I get this car, I will report back with my observations.
Sponsored