Sponsored

How are the 2018/19 performance pack 1 tires?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The PP1 tires are great but are "high maintenance". On cold pavement they definitely slip a lot, until you've driven around and they warm up a bit. For example, when I leave my house in the morning, light throttle input will cause the rear tires to slip on cold, dry pavement, particularly while turning and accelerating from a stop. I have to consciencely provide very gradual throttle in turns to prevent breaking them loose. After I've driven on them for a few minutes, they warm up and grip improves noticeably.

On why they are high maintenance: you can't expose them to temps below 20 deg F without properly slowly warming them back up to 40 F over a 24 hr period, otherwise they may crack. I try not to drive them when it's below 25 F, to maintain a small safety margin. Other reason: they are absolutely terrible in snow or slush. Utterly awful.
Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
I love them best street tire I ever had, Im making 787 wheel and they hook from a 40 roll which is all I could ask from a non drag radial. Handle great, have great life, are quiet, look good etc.

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
I love the tires as well. I was hoping to get out today but alas, it is 26 degrees and overcast. The car sits in a garage at 40 degrees if not out cruising. I have had a few cars with these tires (and Contis) and they perform well at or above freezing and given some time to warm up a bit as mentioned above. However I did not buy the tires for extreme cold capabilities. I live in Colorado and you can leave at 0800 in sunny skies and 40 degrees and it can be a bleeping blizzard by noon. Or a snow squall like last Saturday where you get 2in out of no where in an hour. It is the desire to drive year round (to some degree) and those little surprises that mother nature provides here up against the foothills that makes me a big fan of Michelin and AS tires. Also, I have the Stage 1 kit so any help with traction is a plus. I think the PS tires are a terrific blend of AS + summer performance. I got the car with 235 Pirelli's. I at least now have a great tire at 275/255.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I dumped the nero zeros for Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. Great tire for warm 50 degree and cold (I have been out on days like today with the high of 32). Great improvement but only about 100 miles on them so far. I have also used them to get over hard pack out to a clear hiway and they offer much better traction then the Neros but I kinda expected that. I still think though that anything say <25 degrees, and best to stay in the garage. But a nice sunny day at or above 32 and we are good to go.
I recently switched to these for my stock rims. Very impressed so far with the grip they have.

I can attest they perform better in the cold than the Indys (as you would expect AS vs summer tire).

ChromaticGrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP1
They are arguably some of the best tires in their category. If they come on the car, better that 99% of "stock tires".

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The "standard" Corvette ZR1 comes with the same Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires as the GT PP1 - that should tell you something. That car is a beast squared.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
i really like the michelin pilot 4s.. they do get crappy when in cold weather but in warm weather they are great.
They are nearly impossible to get in Australia at the moment, 12 week wait from Michelin. I don’t think they can keep up with demand.
I don’t mind the Pzeros, they grip well, most people have an issue with how quickly they wear out. This is because they have a tread wear rating of 220 as opposed to the MPS4s which have a treadwear rating of 300.
I went with the Pzeros again because they were 40% of the price of MPS4s in Australia and equally as good in grip just not wear. I figure I can get 2 sets to last just as long as a set of MPS4s and still come out in front.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I found a pair of 275’s (rear) PS4’s brand new take off’s (never driven on) for 495 shipped. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button. Lol.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I run MP4S Summer, AS3+ Winter. Both great tires. The AS3+ has slightly sharper turn-in but slightly less mid-corner stability. AS3+ has been great in rain and wintry mix conditions. If I wasnt a dedicated summer-winter wheel flipper I could probably be happy with AS3+ year round on the street. Amazing to say for an all season.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I found a pair of 275’s (rear) PS4’s brand new take off’s (never driven on) for 495 shipped. My finger keeps hovering over the buy button. Lol.
Detroit? If so I almost did the same but found same deal locally by luck.

Sponsored

Baltimoron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I've been driving my new mustang PP1 with the michelin 4s tires in sub 32 temperatures for a couple of weeks, and I see no problem. I won't take the car out if it's going to snow, or if there is gunk on the road, but on a dry road on a cold day they are quite capable. That's just my experience.
Michelin specifically states on their site that these tires can develop cracks if driven in particularly cold temps, and says they should be allowed to warm up to 40 degrees over 24 hours if temps fall below 20 degrees. (I may be wrong on the numbers). The issue with these isn’t just that they don’t grip well when cold. If nothing else, I’d assume they’re gonna tell you to pound sand if you try to claim they’re defective if they crack.

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I saw that warning as well. My car spends most of the time in my garage where it usually doesn't get below 40, even if it is much colder outside. Regardless, I just made the choice to drive it in the cold, as long as the roads are dry. I'll run the risk of tire cracks so I can enjoy the car more.

Can't wait for warmer weather when all this will be behind us.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
These PS4's did very well in the rain today, I was surprised. They definitely don't like snow, though. The car dealer had some problems getting my new purchase out of it's parking spot.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Wha wa what...?
These PS4's did very well in the rain today, I was surprised. They definitely don't like snow, though. The car dealer had some problems getting my new purchase out of it's parking spot.
ha
Sponsored