Sponsored

Saying Goodbye (& Eating Crow)

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
So it’s with a sad face I am writing to you.

This happened after I made a complete stop, then didn’t make it out of the intersection of said 4 way stop.

A Volvo the S550 is not, and of course, no one every proclaimed it to be, but for such a beautiful and mean looking machine, our car is fragile! So beware!

I loved my S550 so much, but I’ve had to wrestle with the idea of fixing it, and owning a rebuilt title, or walking away.

So here comes the eating crow part of my tale, as I’ve said before on these pages, I will own my car for a long time. Well as it turns out, as fate will have it, I won’t. Lol. My rationale being, that once I do decide to sell her, having a rebuilt title will scare away most of the buyers. The last few will probably haggle for a discount, hehe. Also, yes I would be driving around in one of the sexiest machines on the road, but I would know the truth. That S550 is a fragile car.

So onto the next adventure I go.

If you’re wondering, everyone was ok after the collision.

Also, after a lot of research and thought, I’m leaning towards replacing my S550 with the Mazda 6 in Soul Red. I know, I know, it’s a slow car, lol. But, truth be told (despite what some people will say on this forum about V8 ownership), I really don’t need a 335 BHP rear wheel drive hoonigan machine. Yes, I could put the stock tune back on, or even go with the 87PRX, but still, these cars are f@#ing fast!
I guess it’s the same reason I’ve never owned a motorcycle...

So no, my next car won’t be as beautiful, but it weighs 500 Lbs less than the base S550 and the steering feel is awesome (so I’ve read, lol, I’ve still yet to test drive one;). The 2019 Mazda 3 is attractive but after waiting so many years for FoMoCo to get rid of the live axle on the Mustang, I couldn’t in good faith purchase a car with a Torsion beam rear, so I’ll stick with the 6.

Anywho(sic), TTFN...

615B73BD-4C0E-484E-95D3-0991A5A7EDC3.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Doesn't look all that bad to me. Got any side shots?

Your choice of wording made me read this a couple of times and I'm still not sure

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
You only had three options? You couldn't just get another one?

You don't need a 335hp car, you NEED a 460hp car...

OP
OP
Lionorion

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't look all that bad to me. Got any side shots?

Your choice of wording made me read this a couple of times and I'm still not sure
No side shots. Sorry you’re not enjoying my unique word usage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lionorion

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase

My options are infinite my good fellow, plus the check the insurance company is cutting me, however, not much more than that I’m afraid.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Glad you are okay and the car did its job. Sad to see you go.

Drive the new Accord 2.0T before you make your decision. I traded my 17 Mazda 6 Grand Touring for one it was that good. The turbo is great!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

Drive the new Accord 2.0T before you make your decision. I traded my 17 Mazda 6 Grand Touring for one it was that good. The turbo is great!
The new 2.0T with a 6spd and a tune are really good. They make near Type R power.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The new 2.0T with a 6spd and a tune are really good. They make near Type R power.
Only reason I haven't tuned mine is because it will move to 93 octane versus running it on 87 octane like I do now for daily/poor weather. I've got the 10-speed as well. It's extremely tempting though.

OP
OP
Lionorion

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check it out!

OP
OP
Lionorion

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase

Zelek, I forgot to mention I need to be around $17,000.00 OTD, so of course purchasing used from private party would be typically my best bet.

Sponsored

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had to re read your post after the first read through. No offense, but I hate your writing style. Its not clear and to the point.

Not sure why you are talking about how fragile the Mustang is....That's every car on the road. All cars are designed to crumple like that on a front end impact. From your photo I don't see any cracks in the windshield. Both A-pillars look intact and not bent. I can't see if any airbags were deployed, but it looks like they didn't. Aside from the radiator support, the drive train looks like like its intact.

Just curious, how well do you think this Mazda you have your heart set on would have fared in the same accident? It would probably be a lot worse. Even more "fragile".

Can anyone else chime in here and explain to us all on what turns a clean title to a rebuilt title?

OP
OP
Lionorion

Lionorion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family minivan (for now)
Vehicle Showcase
I had to re read your post after the first read through. No offense, but I hate your writing style. Its not clear and to the point.

Not sure why you are talking about how fragile the Mustang is....That's every car on the road. All cars are designed to crumple like that on a front end impact. From your photo I don't see any cracks in the windshield. Both A-pillars look intact and not bent. I can't see if any airbags were deployed, but it looks like they didn't. Aside from the radiator support, the drive train looks like like its intact.

Just curious, how well do you think this Mazda you have your heart set on would have fared in the same accident? It would probably be a lot worse. Even more "fragile".

Can anyone else chime in here and explain to us all on what turns a clean title to a rebuilt title?
Well then, no love lost? Again, sorry my writing style is so challenging to read. Doesn’t speak well for the fate of man...

Let me break it down for you Flare65 In regards to the fragility. I travelled approximately 20 feet before impact while accelerating from a complete stop. Sooooo (sic) if I’m driving a slower accelerating vehicle, my velocity at impact would be less. Therefore, from the same scenario, one would expect less damage in a car that produces less BHP and torque. With the Mazda 6, it’s also 500 Lbs lighter.

As far as fragility of the Mazda 6, I’m ignorant, but I will tell you your beautiful sexy ride S550 is, and if it’s the same for all cars, maybe I’ll look into getting an old Mercedes or Volvo.

Last edited:

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
The car did exactly what it was designed to do. Did the insurance company total the car?

If you want to accelerate slower, then accelerate slower. It can be done in any car.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
It all depends on the insurance company. Most will consider the car totaled when the repairs are more than 50% of the value of the car. Once it's labeled as totaled you then get a salvage title if you want to put it back on the road. And most states require an inspection before they will issue you a salvage title, they are looking to make sure you did all the structural repairs correctly and not just slapped on a new front clip and some paint.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8

LOL. I knew someone was going to come with this. But to OP, glad nobody got hurt. I've owned a couple of Mazdas and enjoyed both of them. Once was a '91 626 manual :) And the new Mazda 6s are satisfying to drive. You don't need 460hp to have fun.
Sponsored