Sponsored

Automatic Shift Knob Swap

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
Bringing back an old thread, but I finally got rid of the ugly shifter in my car. It works and looks factory. I threw together a quick mounting solution for the knob just to see if it would work so I still need to make the permanent mount. It should allow the use of any knob designed for the S550.

shifter.jpg

shifter1.jpg
Sponsored

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Bringing back an old thread, but I finally got rid of the ugly shifter in my car. It works and looks factory. I threw together a quick mounting solution for the knob just to see if it would work so I still need to make the permanent mount. It should allow the use of any knob designed for the S550.
More details? So you basically put the manual knob and boot on the automatic? I am genuinely interested to find out more!

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
More details? So you basically put the manual knob and boot on the automatic? I am genuinely interested to find out more!
You can't just swap them, there's the lockout button on the auto to account for.

Interested how it's mounted to allow the lockout to work.

Personally, Im interested in keeping the auto shifter stock and just changing the boot to manual. The black plastic with P,R,N,D etc next to the shifter is utterly useless as the display is on the dash; and mine is already losing paint on the side from the leather rubbing.

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
You can't just swap them, there's the lockout button on the auto to account for.
I'm well aware of that. I've already removed the knob to get the boot off to Redline Goods for a template. The lockout is a button on the top of the shaft.

Shift Boot Removal by Aaron Slater, on Flickr

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Subbing for all the billet possibilities!

Sponsored

Crreyes18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ruby Red 5.0 04 Lightning
Subbing for updates

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I took a fiberglass shaft and threaded a cap to fit the shift knob threads. I epoxied that cap onto the fiberglass shaft. There is a pin that you can see in the pic that is press fit through the shaft and just barely sticks out on each side. This pin slides down into the slot that is in the stock shifter shaft and keeps the knob from spinning. I used a rubber hose that is a snug fit inside of the reverse lockout collar and is a tight fit on the stock shifter shaft. Press the reverse lockout collar that has the hose installed down onto the stock shifter shaft and it keeps the reverse lockout collar and the boot from sliding up and down. Then just drop the knob with the fiberglass shaft down through the hole in the stock shifter. I have had it on there for a couple of weeks and it works great without any rattles or buzzing and looks completely stock.
shifter.jpg
shifter1.jpg

OP
OP
aggieStang

aggieStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang Coupe
I just ordered a kit from sickspeed. Its a metal collar that is held in place with a set screw. Then a larger metal shaft that slides over that and is spring loaded. You screw any knob to the top of that

Sponsored

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
Link please!

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Subb'd I'm very interested to see what will be made for the A/T

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
So... You bought an auto... And want to put a manual shift knob on it...
Sponsored