Sponsored

Window tint...police.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I’m looking to tint the windows on my black 2015 V6 Mustang. I actually didn’t even realize there was such a strict ruling on window tinting, I thought it was just the driver side windows.

I live in California yet it’s really normal to see cars with really dark window tint (15%, 20%), in fact I see them EVERYWHERE. Have you guys had a lot of issues with the police when it comes to your tint? I was thinking 20 or 25% all around since my car is already black.
Sponsored

SeanR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 Mustang GT
So each state varies obviously. I looked up the exact laws that pertained to tinting and read it line-by-line to make sure I could tint certain windows to a certain percentage as well as my taillights. I'm also moving, so I looked up the laws for the state I'm going to and how they handle tinted cars that are registered in other states.

However, I've heard from police officers that tint is usally just a reason to stop people to see if they can catch other infractions. This is area-specific though if certain regions have more gangs or less savory people. I would ask around your area or look up forums where people who live there talk about it. There are some police forums where you can ask officers what their opinion is in that particular area. Some areas like to make money off of tinting fines, so be wary of that.

Sean

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
At the risk of responding way too early in this thread (and not even answering your question), I must say there are fans of dark tint, light tint, and no tint. I would recommend that you drive in a car whose %tint is what you are considering, and with your sunglasses on, and then in again in other light conditions such as night time.

I just don't get why guys seem to focus more on the tint appearance from the outside rather than the outward visibility from the inside at night!

If I have highjacked this thread, please let me sincerely apologize in advance!

SeanR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 Mustang GT
You raise a good point though, GTP. While limo tint looks pretty cool, drivers who have it say they have to roll the windows down at night to get any visibility so understand the limitations. I think 20-25% is a good compromise between dark appearance outside and good visibility looking out from the inside.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
Last I heard tints in California are illegal period..

Here in Florida I believe the darkest allowed is like 35%.. I had 25% front and %15 rear in my last car, no issues ever.

Sponsored

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Also in Florida, I get the same tint on all my cars. 30% tint on the doors, 15% on the back I believe is the legal percentage I was given. This go around I'm also going to do the entire front windshield the lightest possible to offset that glare I can't stand.

In my more younger days, I had limo tint and it was only a matter of time before I was stopped and had to take it off. I do remember it was really annoying trying to see anything at night as mentioned.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I admit it, I am getting older. Which means I see better when there is more light. No, I am not to the point of being a danger on the road. But I am very leery of adding tint, and it would look pretty good on a yellow car!

If I get any film applied inside my glass, my thoughts are along these lines. Ceramic heat-reduction film for the back glass. This is bc it is not easy to use a sunscreen back there. Same for the front glass, in spite of using a sunscreen. This is a low-probably safety issue, since some glass shards can still fly in one's face in an accident, if one is not wearing any glasses.

Then maybe 35% tint for the side windows and/or rear glass. But again, that would apply for living in a southern state, which I do not. And I still don't think I would like it at night.

Therefore, I think a good pair of polarized sunglasses will work just fine for now. :thumbsup:

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat

TWilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
I admit it, I am getting older. Which means I see better when there is more light. No, I am not to the point of being a danger on the road. But I am very leery of adding tint, and it would look pretty good on a yellow car!

If I get any film applied inside my glass, my thoughts are along these lines. Ceramic heat-reduction film for the back glass. This is bc it is not easy to use a sunscreen back there. Same for the front glass, in spite of using a sunscreen. This is a low-probably safety issue, since some glass shards can still fly in one's face in an accident, if one is not wearing any glasses.

Then maybe 35% tint for the side windows and/or rear glass. But again, that would apply for living in a southern state, which I do not. And I still don't think I would like it at night.

Therefore, I think a good pair of polarized sunglasses will work just fine for now. :thumbsup:

This is exactly the tint that I had put on mine. 35% sides & 35% rear, ceramic tint (llumar). Had Llumar Air 80 put on the front windshield, no visible tinting, but it helps cut the heat coming through. I thought that the 35% might be too dark, but it is not. Got aging eyes also, and have no problems at night. Love cutting the heat from solar. Highly recommend that setup strictly from a comfort point of view. Ascetically, some may want it darker, but for me this is perfect.

Reactions: GTP

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Legal limits? Psh...

5% side windows, 40% entire windshield.

Just don't act like a fool and you'll be alright. I've had dark tint on every vehicle I've ever owned. haven't ever been pulled for tint.

Sponsored

TWilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium
Legal limits? Psh...

Just don't act like a fool and you'll be alright. I've had dark tint on every vehicle I've ever owned. haven't ever been pulled for tint.
Hey!

Gotta admit. That looks fantastic. Bet it is great on a nice sunny day here in Georgia, huh? Thought I might go black, but decided I was too lazy to keep it that clean! Went Ruby Red myself.

b00sted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost
Last I heard tints in California are illegal period..

Here in Florida I believe the darkest allowed is like 35%.. I had 25% front and %15 rear in my last car, no issues ever.
In Florida the law is 28% for the front, and 15% for the rear. Mine are 5% all the way around but I may know a guy. ;):ninja:

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Hey!

Gotta admit. That looks fantastic. Bet it is great on a nice sunny day here in Georgia, huh? Thought I might go black, but decided I was too lazy to keep it that clean! Went Ruby Red myself.
Thank you :cheers:

Its definitely a full time job, but the girlfriend's got a black 2015 as well, so we take trips to the DIIY car wash about twice a week. So it works out :cheers:

I had a DIB on order, but couldn't wait the 16 weeks it was going to take to get it....so I snagged up a black, and am glad I did. Black looks fantastic when its clean, but that lasts about .2 seconds. :lol:

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
Legal limits? Psh...

Man your car looks awesome! That pic makes me miss my 14 and wish I would've gotten black again on the 15......almsot lol. Pollen season was the worst in GA with a black car :frusty: I easily have gotten two nights a week back now that I'm not constantly detailing (and saved some money on detail spray too lol)

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
In Florida the law is 28% for the front, and 15% for the rear. Mine are 5% all the way around but I may know a guy. ;):ninja:
Guess that's why I've never had a problem.. Lol.

I could of sworn 35% was the limit.. I still haven't tinted my Stang, I'm thinking going 20% front 15% rear this time.. then again I enjoy driving at night so I dunno.. Lol.
Sponsored