5W50 of 5W20 for the Mustang GT?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I'm a phony because I can clearly see tread on the tires allegedly used to make a youtube video in a name you claim ownership of?

Anytime a Moderator would like to come in and sweep up trolls who continue to misrepresent themselves, that would be great. :dnftt:
I swear it looks like the same person driving the GTPP and the one Miata video that he claims is him in that car doing the driving.
Sponsored

onosqv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
QV
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang
I'm also curious because the one you were driving in the video, or your friend.. I lost track
Sssshhh, warranty reasons. :ford:

That being said, I personally run what the veterans of the activities I do tend to run with similar engines.

I put 15w50 in my track car because it's happier with that oil vs the 5w30 factory recommended. I didn't do UOA, just noticed it started "ticking" much later with thicker oil than not. Of course, that car also has no warranty & sees only hundreds of miles a year so I can do whatever I want with it.

The mustang gets 5w20 until at least Ford updates and says I should be using 5w50 (or until it gets out of warranty). I'll worry about what weights to run after the warranty expires. Good thing this car doesn't get to go to track days (convertible, no roll bar).

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
If you track the car hard going up to a 40 weight even a 50 weight is ok. The oil pressure will relatively stay the same since the car is running at a higher operating temp.

However running a 50 weight when you live in a severely cold climate is something I would avoid.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
If this Andre is the Andre of the GT series show, then he lost the show due to his attitude mostly...not his skill. Basically he beat himself. Although the others may have still been faster. From what I saw he showed great skill, but maybe over thought some things. Also, at the end he didn't learn anything from his experience it seemed. An experience like that should change you, if it doesn't than you are too stubborn to improve.

And for those of y'all hating on him because he's an arrogant little shit lol...show some class

OP
OP
Phlyguy

Phlyguy

International SAR Pilot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT with Recaro Seats
Geeze...next time I initiate a thread I think I'll insure its more user friendlly...perhaps a lively simple discussion about the use of chemical polymers versus drag coefficients!

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So.. I'm really late to this and I didn't read every single post, but my understanding of oil weight specs is that the first number is how thin the oil stays at cold temperature. The second number is the oil's resistance to getting too thin at hot temperatures.

Is that wrong?

Tell me the difference between 5w50 and 5w20... My understanding is that the 5w50 has more resistance to getting overly thin at very high temperatures.

Now, if my understanding is correct, 5w50 and 5w20 both start with the 5 and so should have similar characteristics at cold temperatures.

Now, I tend to trust the engineers at Ford, because they actually test engines and understand the construction details and know what is best to use. They have no reason to point someone in the wrong direction when it comes to using the right oil to optimize engine life. So I will go with the Ford recommended weight. Period.

However, I read a lot of posts where people seem to think the 5w50 will be thicker at cold temperatures than the 5w20. I don't believe that's true and it's a very elementary and simple part of this debate that should have been established ... certainly before arriving at page 7!

Budwise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Its simple really. Use the oil that matches your driving application which for 95% of people here will be 5w-20. If you do HPDE then I'd step to a 40 weight or 50 weight. Other than that if you beat the hell out of your car, heavily mod it, then I'd go to a 30 weight for DDing.

Crais

I call it Vera
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 DIB GT Premium PP
Now, if my understanding is correct, 5w50 and 5w20 both start with the 5 and so should have similar characteristics at cold temperatures.
You are correct. :thumbsup:

I also skipped a lot of this thread but I do recall someone making a claim that the breakdown of full synthetic oil drops off rapidly in efficacy versus a blend. I'm not sure that's accurate since nearly all synthetics are made from the same base as the traditional (I don't know of any that aren't, perhaps AMSOIL?). The additives and molecular consistency (from further "refining") are what set the synthetic oils apart.

Source = some enthusiastic old oil guy giving a lubrication seminar for my work.

Perhaps the guy lied to us, but for what we paid for that training I would expect accuracy.

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Its simple really. Use the oil that matches your driving application which for 95% of people here will be 5w-20. If you do HPDE then I'd step to a 40 weight or 50 weight. Other than that if you beat the hell out of your car, heavily mod it, then I'd go to a 30 weight for DDing.
For the record this is what I agree with. However the experts here showed me some factory machines and a man giving the middle finger and now I don't know what to think! They obviously know what they are talking about since they read data for a living and other peoples lives depend on their work. P.S. They are SUPER FAST at the track.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
Exactly! And simple too!

Do not feed the troll.

:dnftt:
Amen! Ignorance is teachable... but you can't fix stupid. A "forum" is for answers to questions and discussion. A forum is not for "My d!ck's bigger 'n' yours".

For the record: I DON'T track my car! And yes, Martha, I do change my own oil!

That is all...

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Exactly! And simple too!

Amen! Ignorance is teachable... but you can't fix stupid. A "forum" is for answers to questions and discussion. A forum is not for "My d!ck's bigger 'n' yours".

For the record: I DON'T track my car! And yes, Martha, I do change my own oil!

That is all...
So for spirited DD and once and a while track would 5w30 be good?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
So for spirited DD and once and a while track would 5w30 be good?
My own thoughts on this are:

5W-20, 5W-30 and 0W-40 would work for you and your example. I personally am running Pennzoil ultimate platinum 0W-40.

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Here in the Philippines where it's 80-90 degrees all year round, Ford Philippines only allows its dealers to put either 5W-30 or 5W-40 Shell Helix Ultra Fully Synthetic in these 2015 Mustangs during periodic servicing. I chose the 5W-40 just last week after my first 1000 kilometers check-up.

AndreG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Not a single issue with factory fill oil, all hot oil is like water even the SAE40 I use in my multi-million dollar engines. That has nothing to do with viscosity. My car with very hot oil is usually above 20PSI at idle after 1/2 hour on track, if the engine is making 60-80PSI at elevated oil temps at redline it's safe to assume the oil is doing it's job.
:lol: I'm just quoting this so we can be reminded of how it all works.
Sponsored